Author Topic: Referring to Aunts and Uncles  (Read 7139 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Referring to Aunts and Uncles
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
All my aunts and uncles have passed away, but I would still (at age almost 60) call them Aunt or Uncle Firstname.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
Another Aussie.

I'm an adult and still use aunty or uncle first name. I also used this for relatives of my grandmother's - uncle Alf,  aunty Doris, although they were her (first?) cousins.

I was aunty first name to both my cousin's kids for many years. I really prefer it. They've since stopped (well short of adulthood) because their dad's side of the family reserve the title for "real aunties", that is their parents' siblings. That particular reason hurts.

My niece is only 2  so who knows what she'll call me by the time she's an adult but her parents are encouraging her to use aunty with a short version of my name.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
Canuck here.  In my family I still say Auntie or Uncle Firstname, probably just out of habit.  My parents refer to them as either Auntie/Uncle Firstname or just Firstname, interchangeably. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

lisat

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »
I am 62 and Iwould refer to my aunts/uncles by aunt melly or uncle steve when they were alive. I would never call my parents by their names. To me somehow it seems disrespectful. Addressing their friends was always Mr or Mrs and the name. Now-my nieces and nephews refer us by aunt or uncle. My children use aunt/uncle and name. My friends- they say Miz Julie or Mr Hector and never call me or my husband by our names. They are in their 20's and 30s. I don't know-it just seems to me to be a little disrespectful-even though they are adults we are the elders.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
I've never dropped the titles.
I hope my nie-phews never do, either.
the funny thing is, to one sibling's kids, I'm Auntie Tootsie. To the other sib's kids, I'm Aunt Toots.

My DH has an interesting tradition. They have one uncle who is an uncle by blood (their mother's little brother). They call him "Uncle." They *never* use his first name.

His wife is pretty young, so my DH refuses to call her "Aunt"; he calls her by her first name.

They have many aunts by blood; they're "Aunt Mary," etc.

They have many other uncles that married into the role; they are "Uncle Bob," etc.

And they have cousins of all degrees of removal, and they're all referred to as cousins but addressed by their first names.

Betelnut

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:39 PM »
Most of my aunts and uncles remain "Aunt" or "Uncle" whatever.  The only exception is my Aunt Mary Alice.  It just gets cumbersome to say all those syllables.  So she goes by her first name.  My Uncle Bob will always be Uncle Bob!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

SiotehCat

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
Tia or Tio is how we refer to aunts and uncles in my family. We can say Tia Mary or just Tia, but never just Mary. It would be a sign of disrespect in my family.

cattlekid

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »
I use Aunt or Uncle unless I am talking about my mom's youngest brother and his wife. Given that they are just a couple of years older than me, it makes them uncomfortable when I use their titles when we are out having a couple of drinks at the local watering hole.  ;D

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:11 PM »
My family of origin was pretty well defined, generationally. So we never dropped the honorific. In fact, we called our parents' cousins Aunt and Uncle out of respect.

In Lucas's family there were so many nieces and nephews who were older than their aunts and uncles, the whole thing was really blurred it was kind of hard to figure out so just first names.

I always simply signed greeting cards with Aunt L & Uncle L, and the kids in that family learned to use the terms, so our 50 year old nephew calls us Aunt L and Uncle L.

My family was a little more southern and Lucas's a little more northern, too.

After I got into genealogy, we refer to the deceased by their names, even my own parents. "Mom", "Dad", "Grandpa", "Grandma" just gets too confusing, whereas "Pauline", "Glenn", "Wallace", "Clara",  makes it a lot clearer. The Daves and Johns are further defined because there are so many.  :)

Arila

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
I have one "Uncle Firstname" (who is married to just "Firstname") and another "Firstname" aunt. Maybe it's because Uncle Firstname has a one sylable name, and both aunts have multiple syllables already.

No other rhyme or reason I can think of

Belle

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »
In my family, people refer to aunts and uncles as "Aunt Mary" or "Uncle Joe," no matter how old they are. My mom (late 60's) still calls her aunts "Aunt Mildred," etc., and I still refer to my aunts and uncles in the same way. I also refer to my parents' best friends as "Aunt Jane and Uncle Fred." My nieces and nephews don't call me Aunt Belle, but that's because we're very close in age. (My oldest siblings are quite a bit older than me, so their children are roughly my age.)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »
All of my older relatives that were adults (25+) when I was growing up are called Aunt Firstname/Nickname or Uncle Firstname/Nickname as a habit.  Other older relatives who came into my life as a teen or adult are called Cousin Firstname/Nickname. 

There are a few relatives that I have dropped the Aunt/Uncle, but I can't remember why

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
Texas -
1 Aunt/Uncle Dad's older sister and her DH - always called them Aunt and Uncle.

5 Great Aunts/Uncles Grandmother's siblings called them Aunt/Uncle = except the one who drowned as a child always just referred to as Lewis.

1st Cousins once removed - same generation as Dad/Aunt some same aged some the same age as the oldest of my generation - all called by first names. Loren and Brett call them by first names.

Loren and Brett call me Aunt Kimby. (older niece calls me both Kimberly and Aunt Kimby)

PEI -
Mom had 9 siblings
Oldest 4 (including Mom) born before WWII, 1 born During WWII - All called Aunt/Uncle same with their spouses.

Youngest 5 born after WWII ended Called Aunt/Uncle till I was 7 or so. Aunt 4 was HS or just out an Hated us calling her Aunt. She told sis and all cousins Sis age and up not to call her or her younger siblings Aunt and/or Uncle. Mom and Aunt 3 came home and blew a gasket when they heard the 6 of us calling The younger 5 by first name. We got sent down the street on an errand. When we came home it was settled. We call them by first name - but they couldn't get upset about Sis and I saying Sir or Ma'am to them because we were being raised in Texas. (Which was odd because we never said Ma'am to Mom on pain of death) The cousins younger than our group call all them Aunt and Uncle - but there is a gap of 15 years between the groups.

Great Aunts/Uncles on up - same as Texas side except they use Great-Grand instead of Great Great.

Cousin first names no matter what the age difference.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mergatroyd

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
I had some aunts and uncles that I'd call "Aunt" or "Uncle" and some who I'd address by their first name. Usually it was the ones who were the sort of adult that speak to kids like adults and make you feel like you're equal to them. 

I had one aunt who was actually my mother's aunt and she insisted on being called Aunt and that it would be pronounced "Awnt".  My mom told me she made the mistake of saying "Ant" once and the woman had quite an overdramatic reaction to it.

Me, if I become an aunt, I frankly would prefer to not be addressed as Aunt cause I just don't like the way either pronunciation sounds with the name "Annie".

I'm curious, how many people use Aunt or Uncle for dear friends of your parents? Or your kids call your close friends aunt or uncle?  Growing up, my brother and I were just expected to call our parent's friends by their names.  No "aunt" or "uncle" as that was reserved for family.  It wasn't till DH and I were adults and had kids and friends with kids that we ran into this.  At first I wasn't terribly comfortable with it, but I think it was also because people we weren't that close to were calling me "Auntie Annie"  :P when talking to their children about me. 

However when I asked my best friend what she'd like my boys to call her she said "Auntie Nickname is fine!" And as she is like a sister, it works.

I can only think of one couple that are friends of my parents that I call aunt and uncle who are in fact not blood related. There is one aunt who is actually my grandmothers bff though, and she is not blood related either.

veronaz

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
USA
I've always called older aunts/uncles )parent's generation) "Aunt Mary" or "Uncle Bob".  I've had a few younger aunts and uncles (closer to my age) that I call by first name.

My niece/nephew call me Aunt (first name) and they are adults now.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:21:35 PM by veronaz »