Author Topic: Referring to Aunts and Uncles  (Read 7765 times)

Peregrine

Re: Referring to Aunts and Uncles
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 11:13:57 PM »
I'm in my middle thirties, and I have never dropped the honorific for my Aunts and Uncles.   The only one of whom I don't use an honorific for is my Uncle's second wife.  He divorced and remarried after I did, so I did not grow up using an honorific for this aunt.  Even though I like her very much it just hasn't come up, or seemed natural to call her my aunt when she came into my life after I had a kiddo of my own.  Should I ever see my Uncle's former wife again at a wedding or other event, I don't know if I could bring myself to use an honorific knowing why the marriage ended.

I will be instructing my son to use honorifics for relatives, my son's teachers seem to stick with Miss/Mr. (Firstname) tradition.  I have also instructed him to use that naming convention with my contemporaries and family friends who don't seem to have another preference.  I just shudder at the idea of my kid using just a first name for an adult, unless that was their very strong preference.  I don't know if I could even go back to my old teachers at this point without the Mr. or Mrs. honorific. it just goes against everything I was trained to do.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 12:12:56 AM »
And just to extend the discussion a little. Now that you've grown up, what do you call your friend's parents? I feel a bit self conscious calling them by their first names, but even sillier calling them Mr & Mrs Lastname.

Victoria

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:38 AM »
I call of of my biological uncles Uncle (Name), but not so much with their spouses.  They've all been married/re-married when I was a teen or adult and I started calling them jut by their first names.  It would have been weird to suddenly start calling then Aunt/Uncle at that point!  I do use the titles in writing though, for Christmas cards, etc.

oz diva - I try really hard not to call my friends parents anything! It's weird to me to call them by first names.  I grew up in between where it was normal to call adults Mr/Mrs and when that changed to predominantly first names in my region.  One of my college professors wanted to be called by her first name and I had a hard time with that.  I don't think I referred to her by name, if I could help it (although, when necessary, I did respect her wishes).  I also find it weird to call my in-laws by their first names.  I wouldn't mind calling them Mom/Dad, but I'm not sure if they'd like it lol.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:33 AM »
I call my aunts and uncles by first names only.  No aunts by blood and two uncles have had several wives, so it was just simpler.  I also address family friends this way.  And controversial, I know, but when my friends are around, I call my parents by first names.  That started among family because my mom called her dad what I called mine, so Daddy didn't always get either one of us the right guy.

katycoo

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:36 AM »
I still use Aunty and Uncle, and I'm in my 30s.  My cousins seem to, at least sometimes, as well.

pearls n purls

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 03:58:08 AM »
I'm in my late 30s, and I still use the titles aunt and uncle.  The only exception in my uncle remarrying when I was an adult.  I really like his wife, but it would feel strange to call her aunt. 

The only time I use the title cousin is when talking about extended family, never as a form of address.

I married dh when his niece was 7, and she calls me aunt.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 04:09:09 AM »
Australia/NZ here.   I usually refer to them just by first name unless I need to identify who they are.   For example, in my family I'll refer to "Sadie and Joe" because I know that my family know who "Sadie and Joe" are.   

To their faces?  I never used "Aunt Sadie" anyway.   Normally just "Aunty".   I would still use that sometimes, depends on the situation.   In my family it's kind of a term of endearment or respect.   Even amongst the cousin's kids they will use Aunty or Uncle to refer to adult relatives. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:38 AM »
I'm 53, born in the US (NY area), and raised in Israel. Israel is much less formal - people call their friends' parents by first name - but most people i know still call their aunts and uncles "aunt first name" or even "aunt".

I call my aunts and uncles "aunt first name" even today. my nieces and nephews call me "aunt first name" (or "auntie"). growing up we called our parents' first cousins (who were in the same age group as parents) - "aunt first name".

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »
The Daves and Johns are further defined because there are so many.  :)

In my family it was the Pauls.  Grandpa was a Paul, I have an uncle named Paul, and both a first and second cousin named Paul.  The cousins were called by their first and middle names to reduce confusion and of course Grandpa and Uncle were addressed by titles to keep them from getting confused.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »
If I had ever dared to address my Aunts and Uncles without their titles I sincerely believe I would not have survived the attempt. 

Currently, Niece and Nephews call us Aunt and Uncle.  We wouldn't mind if they just used our first names but they all have young children oftheir own and want to set a good example.

Cherry91

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »
Pretty much since I could speak, I referred to my aunts and uncles just by their first names.

The one time I called one of my aunts "Auntie X", she burst out laughing, really loudly, and it made me so self conscious I never did it again. My parents insist it was because I, being 3, was so high pitched I sounded like I was huffing helium, but I'd been put off trying again for good.

I do wonder what the other family members thought, seeing as all my cousins called my parents and other relatives Auntie and Uncle, but no one ever commented on it.

Fer

• Lurker
  • Blend in, like an elephant wearing a party hat.
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
Another 30-simething Aussie here, and I do a mix of both depending on the person. 

My great uncle gets called Uncle Firstname, no matter what.
Aunts and uncles I see infrequently are referred to by their first name, without the honorific title; ones I see more regularly are called Auntie/Uncle.  I have been encouraged by one Auntie to call her by her given name, but it's tough to break a habit of a lifetime, and I still catch myself calling her Auntie Firstname.

To me, it's a little way of showing respect to the previous generation, especially towards those who were figures of authority when I was a child.  After all, I didn't stop calling my parents Mum and Dad when I reached the age of majority.

We are encouraging DS to call DH's/my siblings and some very very close friends Auntie and Uncle, as well. I prefer kids call adults by a title rater than their first names.

Miss Cathy

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
I always, always referred to my aunties and uncles as Aunty Jane or Uncle Bob because - well, that was their name. To leave half of it off just sounds wrong. But when I became an aunty myself, I was always just Cathy. Strangely, some of my now adult nieces and nephews have added the "Aunty" to my name now.

Stranger yet, when I married, my DH's adult niece stopped calling me Cathy and started calling me Aunty Cathy. But she's only a few years younger than me, she knew me for years before I'd even met DH, and always called me Cathy. I find it very - odd. But I haven't said anything, because I am actually her aunt by marriage.

And friends parents that I've known since childhood? I just avoid calling them by any name. It's too awkward!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
And just to extend the discussion a little. Now that you've grown up, what do you call your friend's parents? I feel a bit self conscious calling them by their first names, but even sillier calling them Mr & Mrs Lastname.

Same thing I do with Aunts and Uncles.  I use first names but do my darndest not to refer to them by name in their presence.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nayberry

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
the only person i ever kept as uncle or aunty was a great uncle,  never called any of them "aunty name"