Author Topic: Hairdresser tipping... when it's a friend?  (Read 1337 times)

Alias

Hairdresser tipping... when it's a friend?
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »
Sort of a s/o from the hotel tipping thread.

The last time I got my hair cut, I went to a friend (neighbour across the road) who works in a local salon.  She did a decent job, we had a chat, and I paid the full rate (which around here is a fair bit, 40-50 euro I think for just a trim).  I realised after I booked the appointment that it could be a bit ackward if I didn't like the cut, but figured I'd work it out when and if that happened.  What I didn't think about was the tip.

In this country, tipping the hairdresser isn't expected. It's nice, some people do it, but most people (particularly people my age) feel that the haircut itself is pretty expensive, and a tip isn't required (a poll recently in a respectable paper showed less than 20% always tip their hairdresser).  But when I was paying for my cut I suddenly realised, is she expecting a tip? Should I leave a tip? Is a tip saying 'here, you need this more than I do' when it's a friend?  I paniced slightly. I didn't leave a tip (I never do with hairdressers, although I have when in Canada).

So what do you do when it's a friend providing a service? If it was in a restaurant I'd have no trouble, but even here people only tip around 10/15% in restaurants, and it's still not 'expected' like the US.

alice

Re: Hairdresser tipping... when it's a friend?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:37:20 AM »
You had her cut it at her home, right?  And you paid her the rate you would have paid at the salon, right?  Then she was ahead of the game as she didn't have to turn it over to the owner of the salon.  That is how I worked it with my sister-in-law.  I went to her house, paid her the rate I had previously paid at the salon.  Everyone wins.

Alias

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I went to the salon.  Although she's told me she'll do my hair at home for 1/2 the price.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
It doesn't really matter whether or not it is a friend.  If the culture is that you should tip, leave her a tip.  If it isn't, don't.

But if you go to her at home for half price, I would tip a little bit.  If she charged $24 for a home cut, I'd give her $25, for example.  No more than an extra Euro or two.  (I'm using the $ sign because I don't know how to make the Euro sign.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »
If it's common not to tip in your country, I think it would be awkward or off-putting to tip a friend. Best to leave it alone.

eta the important word "not"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:13:37 PM by rose red »

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »
I'm a hairstylist in Canada. When I do work in the salon, I do expect a tip, even from friends if they are happy with the service. If I do hair at home then I don't expect a tip because I am pocking the money made instead of the shop owner. However if its not custom to tip I would say don't.

TriCrazy73

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
I would tip if it was at the salon. 

Arila

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
I get my hair cut by a family friend who knew my parents before I did. She is a licensed professional, and charges accordingly. She works out of her home, but in a specialized room with all the same equipment as at the salon (built for her by her husband). I tip her a standard to generous amount. (I am in the US)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
If it's common not to tip in your country, I think it would be awkward or off-putting to tip a friend. Best to leave it alone.

eta the important word "not"

This is what I would think.

In the U.S., the old tipping etiquette was that you never tip the salon owner. Because he gets all the profit on the service being provided, plus he gets whatever portion he is not paying the nonexistent sylist; if he wanted to near more, he would set the prices higher.

You do tip a stylist, because the only thing they are getting is their share (after overhead and profit are removed). They work for someone else, but they are providing a service for you. That's why it's a tip.

So you wouldn't tip someone cutting your hair out of her own home. She set the prices; the people who set the prices don't get a tip.

But I don't know that this applies anymore.

jackie jormp jomp

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 12:06:47 AM »
MY friend is an aesthetician and I've gone to her for facials at a rate. I pay the reduced rate, and give her the full tip.

aussie_chick

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 04:55:05 AM »
POD to whatever culture dictates is what i'd do.
I'm an aussie living in a regional area. I have never once tipped a hairdresser, beautician, hotel staff or anyone else except a restaurant and then it's only when I really enjoyed the service/meal.