Author Topic: Funny compliments  (Read 1993 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Funny compliments
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:02:36 PM »
Have you ever received (or given) a compliment that was just a bit off? Not backhanded or insulting like these: (edited: I guess I can't add the link because it has the word relationship in it) but was meant to be a true compliment that just wasn't delivered quite right?

Please share your stories! ;D

I was wearing a new blouse with a floral print in a color and style that I don't usually buy. I normally stay away from floral prints.

DD#2: That's a new blouse, isn't it?

Me: Yes. What do you think?

DD#2 (my little fashionista): At first I thought it looked like something you pulled off of Grandma's table*, but the color really works well with your hair and skin tone and the style is quite flattering. You should get more like that. I approve.

Me: Well, thank you. I'll keep that in mind the next time I go shopping. (After a pause, and I really couldn't help myself >:D) So. You think I look good dressed as a table? :D

DD#2 (laughing!): I didn't mean to say that out loud! But it's true! The pattern reminds me of one of Grandma's table cloths, you know the one I'm talking about, right?

Yeah, we had a good laugh, and I really do appreciate DD#2's compliments. But I'm going to have to bite my tongue the next time I wear that blouse, otherwise I'll blurt out "Look! I'm wearing my table cloth!"  ;D

*My mom is quite famous for her floral patterned table clothes. ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:10:29 PM by jpcher »

gmatoy

Re: Funny compliments
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
Oh, the things our children say! Mine once told me that brooch was really cute and that she liked the way I had put it at an angle. (Except that I hadn't deliberately put it at an angle.)

Tashigi

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:30:07 PM »
It's partly my own fault - I set myself up for it.

I was at a reception and telling a group a story I'd heard that twentieth century snipers often became photographers because they were used to being able to stay still and keep equipment steady.

I then got asked to take photos on someone else's camera. As the owner of the camera went through the photos on the review screen, he looked up at me and said, "Wow, these are good. You should be a sniper!"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:36:15 PM by Tashigi »

menley

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:51:25 AM »
I have a friend who is a few years younger than me (I think she's 27 - I'm 31) and she is a very blunt person, so sometimes when she compliments it doesn't exactly come out right. For example, when she found out I was 31, she was shocked and kept saying "Wow... but you don't at all look that old! I can't believe you're sooooo old, you look so young!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
Mr. Thipu is legally blind.  He can get along just fine.  He just can't get a driver's license. 

Once, he was out with a group of friends for a few drinks after work.  One questioned whether Mr. Thipu's vision was really that bad. 

'After all.  We've never seen you bump into an ugly woman'.

nayberry

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
"you're pretty strong for a bird"  said to me as i lugged 25kg sacks of spuds about

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
I've never been told I look like anyone (except maybe Mom) and I've always wanted to be.

Then, I went to the salon to get my nails done, and the woman in the chair next to me said, "You know, you remind me of someone."
Me: "Oh, do I?"
Her: "Yeah, if you were a brunette, you'd look just like Amanda Knox."

I was tickled, but it was a little funny that she compared me to someone who's been in the news for such unsavory stuff.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »
"You are actually pretty hot, for an older lawyer."  Um, thanks.  :(

"Not many women your age would wear that and get away with it."  Um, again, thanks?

BeagleMommy

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
"You're really smart and classy.  I'm surprised you didn't scare DH off."

Said to my by one of DH's college buddies.  When DH returned to the conversation I said "So, what class of girl did you date before me?  Buddy seems to think they were all stupid and trashy."  >:D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »
A woman I chatted with yesterday was in her 30's and told me some 20 something girl she chatted with recently told her, upon learning she was over 30, "Well at least you're still pretty!"  This woman laughed and wondered what other 30 year old women this girl knew that she thought 30=really old.

Likewise my sons keep telling me "You look like a teenager, Mom, you don't look old enough to be 30".  Um, what exactly is 30 supposed to look like, anyway?

The funny thing though is that when my oldest son's friends call my cell looking for them and naturally I answer, the first thing they'll say is "Hi, OldestPirate" I say "Um, this is his mom." BFF says he sounds like me on the phone and I told him "Don't worry, your voice will change and we won't sound alike anymore."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KimberlyM

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:02:36 PM »
I've been told, on 2 separate occasions, by 2 different people that I look like "an old Leanne Rhymes".   :-\

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »
"You have really long toes."

Since this was said by the guy I had a crush on at the time (I was 16), I spent a lot of time agonizing over whether it was a compliment or not  ::)

finecabernet

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 12:03:27 AM »
I'm not much for clothes, and I was friend with two women who dressed very well. One day I had on an outfit that met with one of the friends' approval, and she told me "your taste in clothes is really improving." It was too funny for me to even be offended.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
I've never been told I look like anyone (except maybe Mom) and I've always wanted to be.

Then, I went to the salon to get my nails done, and the woman in the chair next to me said, "You know, you remind me of someone."
Me: "Oh, do I?"
Her: "Yeah, if you were a brunette, you'd look just like Amanda Knox."

I was tickled, but it was a little funny that she compared me to someone who's been in the news for such unsavory stuff.

Haha! To be fair, Amanda Knox is quite pretty. Still not an association I'd be overjoyed to hear, though ;)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
Speaking of weird likenesses, I was told at 10 that, if I grew a beard and mustache, and dyed my hair black, I'd look exactly like my dad. I'm a girl. I do resemble my dad a lot, but I'm not sure if that compliment was meant insultingly or not (given by an adult friend of the family).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter