Author Topic: Texting before phoning  (Read 2889 times)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Texting before phoning
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 09:04:09 PM »

I do this with some people - if I need to talk to them for a while, I want to make sure they are in a place where I can phone conveniently, as there are lots of places (noisy ones, crowded ones) where you can take a text but no a call. Or for someone who has an odd sleep schedule - a text to see if they are awake first. 

As an aside - I think it's just North America where you pay for incoming (and where the locked cell phone reins). I'm in Asia, and I don't. For me, there's also a specific area code for cell phones - all cells have the area code 09, and you always dial the area code, even for local calls. So you always know when you're calling a cell phone, which is actually pretty convenient.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »
If it's rude to call someone on the telephone without checking first, how on earth did we contact people before the advent of texting?

If there is a concern about the person being in a position to talk, it is enough to ask, "Do you have time for a conversation now?" If they're really busy, they can let the call go to voice mail.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

veronaz

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 10:14:29 AM »
I remember life before cell phones, caller ID, voice mail, and even answering machines.

Nothing rude (on either side) about calling someone asking if they have some time or them saying “I’m in the middle of something” or “Can’t talk, I’ll call you back” or “On my way out the door – what’s a good time to talk later?”

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »
If it's rude to call someone on the telephone without checking first, how on earth did we contact people before the advent of texting?

We handed our calling card to the butler.

lmyrs

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
I have unlimited calling but limited texts - far more common than the reverse.

That's just not true. It may be true for the people that you know, but it is not a universal truth. It is actually absolutely inaccurate by any measure of industry data.

This thread is reminding me of the TV show Community where everyone laughs and teases one character because, "Britta still uses her phone LIKE A PHONE!"

I think it's a fairly immature but probably too common perspective that a cell phone is not meant for making calls. It's a phone. If you can't/don't want to answer, don't. Not so hard!

I wouldn't call it immature. But it is very common. And it is a sentiment that is growing quite quickly across North America and the world. I don't think it's very nice or polite to suggest that a growing segment of the population is immature. I'm sure you wouldn't like it if that growing segment suggested that you were too set in your ways to see the realities of the world today. (I'm not suggesting that. Just saying that you shouldn't call a whole growing trend "immature" just because you don't agree with it.)

I understand that there are people out there that think that mobile technology is the down turn of civilization and everyone was much better off before we "had our phones glued to our limbs", or whatnot. But, the fact is that it's not going anywhere and to suggest that etiquette doesn't have to evolve with new technologies, is naive.

I'm not saying that everyone has to text everyone before calling them. In fact, I don't do it myself. But, if it's the norm in your group (which it clearly is with the OP's sister) then you should follow the norm. And, if you know it's someone's preference and you have the means to do so, you should follow that preference. It's just being considerate of their time.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »
It sounds like OP's sister is presenting the "text first" policy as universal technology etiquette.  I would say that is where she falls down. If she assumes that what works for her/her group works for everyone then immature might be appropriate.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
I believe that in the US people have to pay to receive phone calls,

???

I'm in the US, and I've not heard of such a thing.

There are various plans, and some people pay for a certain number of minutes.  But many have unlimited voice and text.

Yea - incoming calls do count against your minutes, but most (all?) people I know account for that in choosing a plan, and/or just don't answer any calls they don't want.

Count me in on the "never heard THAT before" camp about texting before calling - it might be a personal preference with sis & friends, but it's not a requirement.

Personally, if I am thinking of calling someone at a time that might not be convenient (close to bedtime range, for example), then I am likely to text first. Otherwise, I just call. If they can't talk, they won't answer.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

EllenS

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:31 AM »

We handed our calling card to the butler.

*snort*

We used carrier pigeons. Which, I suppose, is a form of texting.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
I believe that in the US people have to pay to receive phone calls,

???

I'm in the US, and I've not heard of such a thing.

There are various plans, and some people pay for a certain number of minutes.  But many have unlimited voice and text.

Yea - incoming calls do count against your minutes, but most (all?) people I know account for that in choosing a plan, and/or just don't answer any calls they don't want.

I think the point is that in other countries (DK for instance) receiving calls and texts is absolutely, 100% free. It doesn't count against your minutes or anything.

I was really surprised when I first learned that that wasn't the case in the US, and that I was actually costing my friend quite a lot of money by sending her international texts, even without her replying to them.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
Definitely not a requirement, though most people (from my 72 year old mother to my 25 year old friends) prefer to be texted before being called.

If someone actually called me rude for calling without texting though, I think I might take a step back from that friendship.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

veronaz

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
Definitely not a requirement, though most people (from my 72 year old mother to my 25 year old friends) prefer to be texted before being called.

If someone actually called me rude for calling without texting though, I think I might take a step back from that friendship.

(bolded) yeah, or at least take a look/assess the relationship.  Irrespective of "trends", I don't want to deal with people whose lives revolve completely around texting and Facebook 24/7.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

(bolded) yeah, or at least take a look/assess the relationship.  Irrespective of "trends", I don't want to deal with people whose lives revolve completely around texting and Facebook 24/7.

Exactly. Or deal with someone who has that specific level of rudeness that they're willing to comment on/judge about. Life is too short to make that a large part of it.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine