News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 10:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grocery store weirdness, employee's food in a display case  (Read 10777 times)

Owly

Re: Grocery store weirdness, employee's food in a display case
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
Also not understanding why this is gross. Inappropriate, sure, but it seems like any yuck factor associated with this would also apply to, say, a shared office fridge. I mean, your coworkers also might reuse baggies or eat expired meat, right?

BarensMom

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
Also not understanding why this is gross. Inappropriate, sure, but it seems like any yuck factor associated with this would also apply to, say, a shared office fridge. I mean, your coworkers also might reuse baggies or eat expired meat, right?

I wouldn't call it gross, but it is definitely unprofessional.  If the manager doesn't make her stop, I'd call the Health Department to see what they say.  They might want to make a surprise visit.

I agree - if the manager is unresponsive and you see it again, take a phone picture and report it to the Health Department.

miranova

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »

I don't necessarily think it's gross but I think it's extremely unprofessional.  The store spends a lot of time and research and money into creating attractive displays because it works.  It entices people to buy things.  Throw someone's sandwich next to it, and suddenly it LOOKS like the shared office fridge, and that's just not smart.  And as I mentioned before, I don't trust people who have no attention to detail. If the manager doesn't care about aesthetics at all, maybe he also doesn't care about disinfecting surfaces used to cut meat in the meat department.  The image you present to the public communicates how meticulous you are about other things.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:26 AM »
My concern isn't about the hygiene of a sealed sandwich and pickle. I do think there's a high risk of smell or allergen contamination, however--ziplocks aren't exactly jostle-proof--and I don't want anything that smells like or has residue from beef or pickles in my hand (unless it's my very own beef/pickle). Yuck.

Even if you love beef and pickles, it's about the bigger picture. It's careless and weird; it should be up to the manager to decide whether it's OK (or the owner of the cooler, as some have pointed out).

I go to one rather sloppy market (my photos of their "lunchmeat" have gotten some interesting feedback), but in that case it's clearly the owner's prerogative, and I don't think they're violating food safety laws. I do, however, refuse to buy anything that's stored with meat there. In that case, though, it's not 1 random employee violating the rules with a colleague's consent; it's a store policy of piling random stuff together in ways most stores wouldn't think of.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 09:08:37 AM »
I would stop shopping there.

But not because there was a sandwich in with the sodas. 

The employee fridge was disgusting enough that the employee did not want to use it.  It could have been laziness, but your cashier said that the other fridge was disgusting.  That tells me that the places you don't see are likely disgusting, and that the management is lax. 

Yvaine

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
I would stop shopping there.

But not because there was a sandwich in with the sodas. 

The employee fridge was disgusting enough that the employee did not want to use it.  It could have been laziness, but your cashier said that the other fridge was disgusting.  That tells me that the places you don't see are likely disgusting, and that the management is lax.

All of that said, I've worked places where the employee fridge was the lone oasis of horribleness in a place where everything else was clean. :D

juliasqueezer

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 10:09:48 AM »
I once rounded an aisle corner with my shopping cart to witness an employee (they wear distinctive shirts) reach down and pick up a can of hair spray and proceed to BLAST the product all over her hair and then set the can back down among the others.

When I checked out, I told the manager and he just shrugged, not bothered at all.

I know it's not a big deal and probably happens all the time, but I found another place to buy groceries.

kategillian

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »
Put me in the 'That's super icky' camp as well. I have a weird thing about food prepared not in a professional setting or not in my kitchen. (I'm sure most people are as careful as I am, but the one's who aren't....)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:53 AM »
I once rounded an aisle corner with my shopping cart to witness an employee (they wear distinctive shirts) reach down and pick up a can of hair spray and proceed to BLAST the product all over her hair and then set the can back down among the others.

When I checked out, I told the manager and he just shrugged, not bothered at all.

I know it's not a big deal and probably happens all the time, but I found another place to buy groceries.

It probably happens all the time that someone uses product and puts it back but it is a very big deal and I would go someplace else too. If the manager doesn't care about that kind of theft what over things doesn't he care about?

rose red

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 10:37:47 AM »
I don't think a ziplock bag of food is gross (though extremely unprofessional), but I wonder at the employee's uncaring attitude that dozens of strangers (customers) are able to access her lunch. They can open or touch her food. And there are those "pranksters" who would do more than touch. Yuck. If they care about their own health, why should I assume they care about the health of their customers?

jaxsue

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
While it may not be high on the gross-meter, I think this is extremely unprofessional. Not to mention, those coolers are owned and maintained by companies for their own products. I can't imagine they'd be pleased to see an employee's lunch taking up space that they're paying for.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
Weirdly, I *just* saw this today at a large hardware store (not sure if I'm allowed to say which one, not that it really matters) -- there was a beverage cooler with drinks for sale near the cash register. An employee went over to it, pulled a 1/3rd full bottle from the very back of the cooler, and drank from it. I got distracted and didn't see if he put it back again or took it with him when he went off, but it was very obviously partially empty when he took it out. Strange.

RubyCat

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
I'm guessing that it's against health codes. That being said, I'm with those who don't see it as a big deal.  Even though the sandwich was not prepared in a commercial grade kitchen, it should be fine. Have you never bought a cookie from a bake sale? When you consider all the dirt and things food is exposed to as it's transported, a sandwich in a ziplock is nothing.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
Like others, I don't see it as a big deal from a hygiene perspective, but it is ridiculously unprofessional. I would also wonder what else the store was lax about.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

KenveeB

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
I don't think it's a significant health hazard, but it's so bizarre that it would make me wonder just what else they're putting a blind eye to there. It's not the lunch itself that would bother me as much as the response to it.