News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grocery store weirdness, employee's food in a display case  (Read 10797 times)

doodlemor

Re: Grocery store weirdness, employee's food in a display case
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »
I probably wouldn't say anything about it as I just don't really care about many things enough to complain but I think it is fine to do so.  I think the reaction of the store is wrong as it should not be allowed and if I did complain and they didn't take me seriously I would maybe shop elsewhere.

That said, I think using the word Gross to describe the situation is on the rude side.  You just shouldn't tell people things are gross, I find the term childish and not part of polite conversation.  If you wish to say it is unsanitary, just say unsanitary no need to use school yard words like gross.

I'm just curious if anyone else has this association with the word "gross"?

I had no idea it was a "bad" word (I mean, aside from the meaning of the word describing something that is unpleasant), and it would never strike me as something that needed to be censored, or restricted to the "school yard."

I'm with you, jmarvelous. I never thought of gross as "schoolyard". I use it.

I was just trying to imagine being at the grocery store and seeing someone's lunch (sandwich and pickles) in the coke mini fridge by the register. Yeah, it would bug me. It does not belong.

I mean, imagine if it was in the meat case or the milk case. No way it belongs there so why would it be ok in the coke case?

And you know, the comment about the fridge upstairs would definitely make me not want to shop there anymore. If the fridge upstairs is a mess (as implied by the cashier's comment), is the whole break room dirty? If the store management can't be bothered to corral the employees and make sure their facilities are kept clean, how much are they bothered about making sure the employees keep the rest of the store clean and in good order?

Yeah, no thanks.

I think that lowspark made a very good point here.  POD absolutely. 

And.........English isn't just some static thing hanging out in schoolbooks, it is fluid and changing all of the time.  Here is a brief history of the word "gross." 

http://voices.yahoo.com/gross-behind-word-9230.html

I think that it is an apt word to use to describe the employee's lunch being in the pop cooler.

lakey

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »
The problem isn't the sandwich stored in a product refrigerator, it is whether the store management uses good judgement. It is up to store management to have high standards. If they allow employees to make personal use of a refrigerator that is for products, what else do they allow? As the OP said, it's unprofessional. Unprofessional practices in food handling businesses, has to be a concern.

Shea

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »
I wouldn't see it as "gross", but absolutely unprofessional and possibly against health codes. Honestly, it wouldn't bother me that much though. I'd probably just roll my eyes and continue about my business.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Peppergirl

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 12:34:29 AM »
I am well into my 40's and use the word 'gross' all the time, but wouldn't do so in an environment like this in which I were berating someone for their unsanitary practices.  I'd choose a different word, such as 'unsanitary' and/or 'unprofessional'.

YMMV, of course.

Betelnut

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2014, 07:29:49 AM »
I am well into my 40's and use the word 'gross' all the time, but wouldn't do so in an environment like this in which I were berating someone for their unsanitary practices.  I'd choose a different word, such as 'unsanitary' and/or 'unprofessional'.

YMMV, of course.

Hey, I wasn't berating (just for the record).  I was quite mild actually.   :)
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Peppergirl

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
 >:D  Well, for the record, I think the employee's response to it was the most appalling thing.  Makes you wonder what that staff 'fridge looks like, no?

Aquamarine

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »
I probably wouldn't say anything about it as I just don't really care about many things enough to complain but I think it is fine to do so.  I think the reaction of the store is wrong as it should not be allowed and if I did complain and they didn't take me seriously I would maybe shop elsewhere.

That said, I think using the word Gross to describe the situation is on the rude side.  You just shouldn't tell people things are gross, I find the term childish and not part of polite conversation.  If you wish to say it is unsanitary, just say unsanitary no need to use school yard words like gross.

Gross is a word commonly used by my generation and at 61 years of age, (far beyond the schoolyard years) and I use it to this day when appropriate.  It is not a childish term, it is a descriptive term and is used in polite conversation, nurses use this word all the time.  Just because you don't approve of a word doesn't mean that others are rude to use it.  If you don't like a word, don't use it, but IMHO it is wrong for you to be judgmental of others use of a common word that is not profane.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Aquamarine

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2014, 09:31:51 AM »

I'm just curious if anyone else has this association with the word "gross"?

I had no idea it was a "bad" word (I mean, aside from the meaning of the word describing something that is unpleasant), and it would never strike me as something that needed to be censored, or restricted to the "school yard."

It isn't a bad word, I use it somewhat often but then again I don't really see all that many gross things at this point in my career.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
I don't myself see anything inappropriate or childish in the word "gross".  I'd say it's on the casual end in terms of register, but we're not taking tea with the queen of England here.

Those who are interested in debating linguistic matters like register, idiom and usage can take that interest to a forum on language.

judecat

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »
I'm not saying it's right,  but a lot of my fellow employees at various C-stores do this -- my current job has a case for sandwiches from a company called "the sandwich lady",  and employees use it to put their lunch bags in until lunch time.   But it's usually not a random baggy,  it's usually a brown bag lunch,  so I don't think it's gross actually.  Since the boss also does it I don't think it's against policy.

Betelnut

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »
I'm not saying it's right,  but a lot of my fellow employees at various C-stores do this -- my current job has a case for sandwiches from a company called "the sandwich lady",  and employees use it to put their lunch bags in until lunch time.   But it's usually not a random baggy,  it's usually a brown bag lunch,  so I don't think it's gross actually.  Since the boss also does it I don't think it's against policy.

Couldn't that lead to someone taking your lunch or tampering?  I mean, your lunch in a case that can be accessed by hundreds of strangers?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

HappilyInsane

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2014, 11:59:36 PM »
Around here any food establishment is not permitted to store food made at home next to products produced/sold at the store.  This is part of the health code.  It is to prevent cross contamination since the cleanliness of the place of origin is unknown.

^This. It's not only a health code violation, it's a critical one and those can lead to being shut down.

I work in a small kitchen and we only get by with having employee items in our walk in cooler because we have a designated, clearly marked tray for them and no food or beverage that is intended for sale can be stored near it. We are also not allowed to keep any open beverage smaller than a 2 liter bottle in any of our refrigerated areas because it is assumed that it has been in contact with someone's mouth.

Having said that, I also used to work in a grocery store and know that health inspectors are generally only concerned with areas where raw foods are handled, (meat department, deli, produce area) and refrigeration of dairy and frozen items. Since technically, sodas aren't required to be refrigerated, I'm not sure they would even look in those coolers unless something just caught their eye.

Regardless of all that, it's certainly unprofessional and off-putting.