Author Topic: You should never post a picture of your child online...  (Read 5505 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
You should never post a picture of your child online...
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
I frequently use old pictures of my son as my profile picture on a social networking site. These pictures are at least 8 years old. I've been told by several near strangers that would make my son a target of child predators.

My information is not public, my address is not public, and my son is pretty aware of the world at 15. What would you say?

I have generally just cut ties with people who have commented in such a way.

Mal

Re: You should never post a picture of your child online...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
How does your son feel about it?

That's the only opinion that should matter in this case, imho.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
He likes it. He enjoys seeing pictures of himself on that site and has his own membership, which he got when he turned 13. He posts his own pictures on his profile.

123sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
I have pictures of my kids on mine. My profile is set to friends only.

Mal

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »
If you're using decent privacy settings and your son is ok with it, I'd say feel free to ignore the warning comments. You might wanna try a classic "so kind of you to take an interest" ;)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
I frequently use old pictures of my son as my profile picture on a social networking site. These pictures are at least 8 years old. I've been told by several near strangers that would make my son a target of child predators.

My information is not public, my address is not public, and my son is pretty aware of the world at 15. What would you say?

The kind of predators those people are talking about aren't likely to be interested in a fifteen-year-old.

This sounds like a serious case of displaced anxiety--if they can fret about hypothetical predators being attracted by a nine-year-old photo of a stranger, they don't need to fret about their bills, job problems, need for unpleasant dental work, or any number of other less-dramatic but actual or plausible problems.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »

The kind of predators those people are talking about aren't likely to be interested in a fifteen-year-old.

This sounds like a serious case of displaced anxiety--if they can fret about hypothetical predators being attracted by a nine-year-old photo of a stranger, they don't need to fret about their bills, job problems, need for unpleasant dental work, or any number of other less-dramatic but actual or plausible problems.

And the risk of someone printing the picture and doing something you don't want to image with it are a lot higher then someone deciding to go hunt the kid down and try to abuse them in real life.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:38:42 PM »
Following their logic, children should never be seen entering their own homes.

I think it is beyond ridiculous advice. There are internet predators, but that's not how they operate.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »

Agreed.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I think there are a lot of people who are general busybodies and the internet makes it easier to spread that around.

Promise

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

This seems a little extreme. Lots of people have opinions about different things. Cutting them off because they express them is a bit rough. I would suggest that you don't engage when they say something you disagree with regarding your personal life. You certainly can post your son if you desire to do so. Personally, I think the media creates the fear and that the news stories one might hear is not in proportion with what really happens. It might happen once and all of a sudden some think it happens all the time.

katycoo

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
There are predators who are just looking to find photos.
There are predators who are looking to befriend kids online to solicit webcam communications or an IRL meeting.
And there are predators who are looking to abduct children unknown to them.

No online predator is going to try to locate and abduct your child based on a picture they see of your child.  They already have enough troubles without further complicating things.  These people look for children IRL.

No online predator is going to try to find a way to contact your child online (if there even is a direct way to contact your child online) based on a picture they see of your child on the parents profile page.

Which leaves people who just want pictures.  And with this its simply a mater of consideration of WHAT pictures you post.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
I completely respect each parent's right to not post their children's pictures online, but personally I post 100s of photos to facebook of my son every month.  I don't post nude photos, and I never post anything related to my son's toilet habits or other highly personal topics that might be embarassing to him later in life.  I genuinely think the biggest concern is how they feel about it, not any risk of being a target to a predator!

When I was a child, tourists visiting my hometown would often stop me to take a picture when I was playing - my Dad said it was because of my pale skin and blue eyes.    I never felt traumatized or concerned in any way that images of me are floating around the world in the albums of complete strangers whose names I never knew.    What if one of those tourists was friends with a predator who then set out to find me!   Well, it's possible but unlikely.  Or if they did try to find me, unlikely they would succeed.  Really, by that paranoid logic we should never leave the house.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Wintergreen

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
I don't think the online predators are the worst problem of posting pictures of other persons. (I mean, that is of course the worst case scenario, but not that probable.) Far worse is what the service provider or "internet" might do with the picture. Security settings don't really mean that much, as pictures are usually very easy to take from any site. I frequent a huge image sharing site and wince internally every time I see there a post with description "got this from my Facebook feed" or "my friend posted this" or other similar cases where said friend or friend's pet or kid or car or wossaname is published outside the original media. It's not the predators one should fear but oblivious friends. And then the picture is public for basically 7 billion people to use as they see fit. With luck, nothing happens and the picture just dusts there, or it can be next Bad Luck Brian. A good example of case, where picture itself is unoffensive, nothing bad or even funny in it, yet there are thousands of variations circulated around, and more come every day. And even that is the friendly way :D then there is, of course, the unfriendly way of using loads of photoshop skills and making you lose your work over naked pictures of you (in reality "you, with other body").

In addition to that, of course there is a change that your son will be used as a billboard. Not sure if you meant Facebook, but I'm sure it's not the only one with something as below in ToS: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). It is a risk, and I'm fine with people taking it for themselves (as I do). But I think it is a risk one should not lightly take for other people.  If the person being posted about is fine with it, then there is no problem (if they can understand the possible consequences).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 01:53:43 PM »
My cousin had to take pictures of her child off a site for children with special needs. Apparently there were people taking perfectly lovely, happy shots of these children, and manipulating them into something completely different. Quite disgusting.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."