Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

You should never post a picture of your child online...

<< < (6/6)

Jocelyn:

--- Quote from: magician5 on May 31, 2014, 05:23:54 PM ---  Moreover, these people don't need to Photoshop your child's face onto any other image, they have an ample supply and your child's visage is hardly likely to prompt a special compulsion.  And if someone actually did that ... well, "seriously disgusting ick", but what danger or loss would you realistically suffer? They're not coming to get your child and I'm sure you already know not to also post identifying info like address.

--- End quote ---

I agree that it's very low risk...but I think that it might well be a loss for a person, to know that there's 'seriously disgusting ick' pictures of themselves being handed around the Internet.

ladyknight1:
I agree, but that can pertain to anything. I have a friend whose wedding pictures were pirated and are being used in advertisements, without the happy couple's consent. They've looked into legal rights, but aren't sure the payoff would be worth the $$$$ for an attorney to pursue the case.

Sophia:
A friend of mine is a professional photographer.  He has some software that he runs about every month that looks for his images on the web.  Every month he finds some and he has a standard letter he sends out.  Maybe they could find a version of the letter and they could send it out?  It couldn't hurt. 

wolfie:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on June 16, 2014, 02:59:14 PM ---I agree, but that can pertain to anything. I have a friend whose wedding pictures were pirated and are being used in advertisements, without the happy couple's consent. They've looked into legal rights, but aren't sure the payoff would be worth the $$$$ for an attorney to pursue the case.

--- End quote ---

I have a friend whose image is used as the crazy cat lady (picture was taken at a shelter that has free roaming rooms so it just looks like a house with a million cats in it). She sends cease and desist letters out and most of them get taken down.

DanaJ:

--- Quote from: magician5 on May 31, 2014, 05:23:54 PM ---But, "risk" of what damage? People who would do that could do it to any one of the (literally) millions of pictures online. Just Google, for instance, "[fill in any age] year girl swimsuit" then click "images" at the top ... you can find a dizzying array of family or news photos out there. Moreover, these people don't need to Photoshop your child's face onto any other image, they have an ample supply and your child's visage is hardly likely to prompt a special compulsion. 

--- End quote ---

The photoshop abuses are not just a matter of sexual compulsions. Just Google "I can count to potato!" and you'll see why an above poster's cousin removed her special-needs child's photo from the web (safe for work, but will enrage your sense of moral decency). Or, consider the deceased bullying victim, Rehtaeh Parsons', photo being used on Facebook in an advertisement for online dating just a few months after hear death.

I don't actually think it's dangerous to post photos, in the sense that there is a risk of abduction or assault. Statistically, North America has it's lowest violent crime rates than in the past 30 years! However, there will always be some risk of misuse or misrepresentation possible.

My job requires working with stock photography. More and more , it seems that companies have no clue at all about how copyright works and/or that you can't just use some random person's photo in an advertisement. There are important protocols to be followed and waivers that must be signed before you use someone's likeness, other wise you end up with a lawsuit when someone's face was used in an "I'm positive!" HIV awareness campaign without her knowledge. (Photographer messed up the release.)

But generally, I would respond to paranoid busybodies with a "So kind of you to take an interest" and then bean dip to something else. They can deal with their own fears as it pertains to them, and you can go ahead with what you feel are reasonable risk tolerances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version