Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

You should never post a picture of your child online...

<< < (2/6) > >>

Tea Drinker:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on May 09, 2014, 11:04:25 AM ---I frequently use old pictures of my son as my profile picture on a social networking site. These pictures are at least 8 years old. I've been told by several near strangers that would make my son a target of child predators.

My information is not public, my address is not public, and my son is pretty aware of the world at 15. What would you say?

I have generally just cut ties with people who have commented in such a way.

--- End quote ---

The kind of predators those people are talking about aren't likely to be interested in a fifteen-year-old.

This sounds like a serious case of displaced anxiety--if they can fret about hypothetical predators being attracted by a nine-year-old photo of a stranger, they don't need to fret about their bills, job problems, need for unpleasant dental work, or any number of other less-dramatic but actual or plausible problems.

wolfie:

--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on May 09, 2014, 04:30:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on May 09, 2014, 11:04:25 AM ---I frequently use old pictures of my son as my profile picture on a social networking site. These pictures are at least 8 years old. I've been told by several near strangers that would make my son a target of child predators.

My information is not public, my address is not public, and my son is pretty aware of the world at 15. What would you say?

I have generally just cut ties with people who have commented in such a way.

--- End quote ---

The kind of predators those people are talking about aren't likely to be interested in a fifteen-year-old.

This sounds like a serious case of displaced anxiety--if they can fret about hypothetical predators being attracted by a nine-year-old photo of a stranger, they don't need to fret about their bills, job problems, need for unpleasant dental work, or any number of other less-dramatic but actual or plausible problems.

--- End quote ---

And the risk of someone printing the picture and doing something you don't want to image with it are a lot higher then someone deciding to go hunt the kid down and try to abuse them in real life.

Deetee:
Following their logic, children should never be seen entering their own homes.

I think it is beyond ridiculous advice. There are internet predators, but that's not how they operate.

MorgnsGrl:

--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on May 09, 2014, 04:30:29 PM ---The kind of predators those people are talking about aren't likely to be interested in a fifteen-year-old.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.

ladyknight1:
Thank you for the responses. I think there are a lot of people who are general busybodies and the internet makes it easier to spread that around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version