Author Topic: Breakfast for dinner?  (Read 2654 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Breakfast for dinner?
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
We're hosting DH's family for dinner next Monday, and have decided that we're doing a breakfast for dinner theme, just to mix things up.  We're planning on having quiche, hash browns, bacon, fruit and coffee cake muffins.  I've got the hash browns, bacon, fruit and muffins handled - I've made all that before and can approximate how much I'll need for the 12 people who are coming.  However.  I don't eat egg-stuff, like quiche, so I've only made it like once.  I'm thinking we'll need 3 quiches, due to the people (some big guys who can eat lots of food), and I'm not sure about what things to put in the quiche.  What kinds of meat work well in quiche?  What kinds of veggies go well in quiche?  Are there things you absolutely shouldn't put in quiche?  I've been googling, and the number of quiche recipes is kind of staggering!  I was thinking of doing an all veggie quiche, a cheese quiche and then a "supreme" quiche with meat, veggies, cheese, etc.  Would that work?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Breakfast for dinner?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:39 PM »
Sounds good. When do I come over?  :D

POF

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
What a great idea, I love breakfast for dinner.

I think an easier option than quiche is a breakfast Strata or casserole.  For whatever reason I find them easier and less fussy.

Another eggy idea is a fritatti - which cooks in  skillet and goes under the broiler to brown - these are really hearty.

Another egg idea I've done is to cook a lot of scrambled eggs and serve them with a bunch of toppings to make your own faux omelet.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
  Personally I wouldn't make a quiche for guests the first time , the moisture content of the "add ins" can really through off the quiche. If I did I would be very sure I trusted the recipe source and read the reviews.

I think you can put almost anything into a quiche. Ham ,chicken are the meats I see most often but all veggies work too.  They're very versatile.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »
Everything goes in quiche, is my opinion.

But I also think you shouldn't put too much in--not in volume (My problem sometimes--it's more veggies than anything else), and not in flavor. Just something for texture and something for flavor. Maybe 2 somethings for each category.

I buy frozen broccoli florets and scatter them across the bottom, then shredded cheese of any kind at all, and then pour in the egg mixture.

I also often stir the cheese into the egg mixture, and I *always* add onion of some kind--chopped green onion, or sauteed other kind of onion or shallots.

I think your plan of 3 would work. But I think I'd want cheese in all of them.

I might not bother 2/ those 3 categories (you know whether you will have very many people who really care much about "veggie" or "no cheese" as a concept/allergy/philosophy). And just do 3 or 4 combos, each w/ a diff. cheese or diff. filling. I would plan to feed 4 people per quiche, since my pie plates aren't that huge.

Veggies that work well: broccoli is classic; asparagus (if you can get it; but canned and frozen veggies work bcs they're precooked); bell peppers; chopped spinach (I've never made w/ greens, but I think I wouldn't precook those).

mushrooms! Mushrooms are wonderful in quiche; I usu. saute them a bit first.

I also brown sausage and crumble it; maybe 2 (no more than 3) sticks or patties.

I wouldn't put green beans in quiche, personally, bcs it seems weird, but that's probably just me.

You want stuff that can end up about the size of a marble, so that its size and texture doesn't take over.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:25:49 PM »
My sister makes a "quiche" that uses a large flour tortilla as the crust then places turkey sausage, drained diced tomatoes and green chiles, then the egg mixture and cheese on top. She serves it with salsa and sour cream. I love it.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
What a great idea, I love breakfast for dinner.

I think an easier option than quiche is a breakfast Strata or casserole.  For whatever reason I find them easier and less fussy.

Another eggy idea is a fritatti - which cooks in  skillet and goes under the broiler to brown - these are really hearty.

Another egg idea I've done is to cook a lot of scrambled eggs and serve them with a bunch of toppings to make your own faux omelet.

Once we decided on breakfast for dinner, it was kind of a foregone conclusion that we'd make quiche.  I made a quiche for my sister in law's family once, and my niece (who was 2 at the time) ate THREE slices and included the quiche in her nightly prayers for about two weeks afterwards.  8)  If only I could remember what recipe I used that was so popular!

TriCrazy73

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
The quiche I make either has bacon, ham or sausage in it.  YUM!

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 02:52:58 PM »
Dinner guests are not guinea pigs. I would not make a dish for guests that I haven't successfully made before.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »
Dinner guests are not guinea pigs. I would not make a dish for guests that I haven't successfully made before.

That came across kinda snotty.

And, Lady Snowdon has made a quiche before. Just not tons of times.

I'll confess--I often make dishes for guests that I've never made before. Even if it doesn't come out exactly the way it would if I were an expert, it's still quite palatable, even yummy.
   I cook little enough, and simply enough, on a daily basis that I'd never serve anything interesting if I weren't willing to trust a recipe.

I practiced Thanksgiving, but I'm not going to practice for every meal. (And even then, I couldn't practice w/ a 16-pound turkey; that's just not sensible.) The only reason I practiced is because enough of the steps were fiddly enough that I felt intimidated. And it's Thanksgiving.

Peregrine

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »

I make new things for guests all the time....I wouldn't necessarily do it for a formal dinner party (especially if I was entertaining a relatively new acquaintance or someone whom I was unsure about food restrictions).  But I would think nothing of trying a new cookie or veggie side dish for a family style dinner.  I might even try a new cut of meat or new preparation.  That said I always make sure to have plenty of ingredients on hand, so if something doesn't turn out quite right there would be plenty of other food.

As for the OP, I would suggest a breakfast casserole for the hearty eaters.  I know I have one that involves eggs, frozen hashbrowns, sharp cheddar, eggs/milk.  Precook the sausage, layer everything else and bake for about an hour.  It makes an incredible hearty meal and you can go a little Mexican with it by tossing in a can of green chiles and topping with salsa, or keep it pretty standard for traditional types. :)

Zizi-K

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 03:19:20 PM »
Quiche is really not difficult. I would read up on some websites like smitten kitchen who give a lot of tips and what to look for, but really its hard to mess them up. If you use premade frozen shells, you really cannot go wrong. Personally, I think a plain cheese quiche is a little boring. But I also find that they're best with two or three ingredients max - I wouldn't do a "supreme" one. Quiche lorraine is a delicious classic, as is a broccoli cheddar. Mushroom Swiss (with caramelized onions) is also wonderful. Find a trustworthy recipe and you're golden. Finally, quiche can also be made ahead! make them the day before and simply reheat in the oven, easy-peasy.

Finally, if you just decide you don't want to deal with it, I recently discovered that Whole Foods carries ready-made quiche for $12 ea, which are great.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »

I gotta agree with you there. There is a big difference between trying out a new side or dessert and fiddling with a main dish that you are  not sure you could make. If the dish turns out badly then what will you do?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

I gotta agree with you there. There is a big difference between trying out a new side or dessert and fiddling with a main dish that you are  not sure you could make. If the dish turns out badly then what will you do?

I think it's really hard to screw up a quiche. Sure, you might get one that's a little bit watery but I've had plenty of those in restaurants. And she has made a quiche before.

Here's some of my favorite combos.

Spicy Italian sausage with mushrooms
Classic Ham, cheese and broccoli
Spinach, mushrooms an feta using puff pastry as the shell (line your quiche pan with the thawed pastry and then blind bake 10 min before filling)
For a cheese quiche, I don't I've ever found a better recipe than Madame Quiche's Quiche au Fromage on epicurious.com 

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »

I think it's really hard to screw up a quiche. Sure, you might get one that's a little bit watery but I've had plenty of those in restaurants. And she has made a quiche before.

I have never had a quiche that I didn't have to force myself to finish. So I am going to disagree with you there.