Author Topic: Breakfast for dinner?  (Read 2524 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: Breakfast for dinner?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
I've made quiche a few times and never found it to be difficult? I like to put in asparagus, crab, chives, cheese, precooked bacon, ham, in any combination, whatever I have in the fridge!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
Dinner guests are not guinea pigs. I would not make a dish for guests that I haven't successfully made before.

I gotta agree with you there. There is a big difference between trying out a new side or dessert and fiddling with a main dish that you are  not sure you could make. If the dish turns out badly then what will you do?

I think it's really hard to screw up a quiche. Sure, you might get one that's a little bit watery but I've had plenty of those in restaurants. And she has made a quiche before.

I have never had a quiche that I didn't have to force myself to finish. So I am going to disagree with you there.

But if every quiche you have had is that bad, maybe it's you, and not the difficult of making quiche. Your sample is so severely skewed that I personally wouldn't trust it as an indicator.

If you'd said you've had some wonderful quiches, but that when people mess them up and they're too watery, you're really unhappy, that might argue against making a quiche.

Quiche is one of those things that is, in my experience, pretty yummy no matter what you do. OK, it might be watery, but it still tastes good!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »
I like quiche with a nice side of fresh crisp salad. I know salad is not a breakfast food, but if it's not too much trouble to make one, it will balance out all the heavy breakfast foods. Cleanse the palate, if you will.

I'm not sure about a plain quiche (I don't know your audience though). I like plain eggs, but for my taste in quiche, having stuff tossed in taste best. Bacon, sausage, and ham are traditional breakfast meats and one of those is what I usually encounter in this dish. I also agree mushroom and asparagus is very good.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Dinner guests are not guinea pigs. I would not make a dish for guests that I haven't successfully made before.

I gotta agree with you there. There is a big difference between trying out a new side or dessert and fiddling with a main dish that you are  not sure you could make. If the dish turns out badly then what will you do?

I think it's really hard to screw up a quiche. Sure, you might get one that's a little bit watery but I've had plenty of those in restaurants. And she has made a quiche before.

I have never had a quiche that I didn't have to force myself to finish. So I am going to disagree with you there.

But if every quiche you have had is that bad, maybe it's you, and not the difficult of making quiche. Your sample is so severely skewed that I personally wouldn't trust it as an indicator.

If you'd said you've had some wonderful quiches, but that when people mess them up and they're too watery, you're really unhappy, that might argue against making a quiche.

Quiche is one of those things that is, in my experience, pretty yummy no matter what you do. OK, it might be watery, but it still tastes good!

I have never had watery quiche.  They have usually been on the dry side. And I love scrambled eggs and breakfast scrambles.  Just once everything gets baked in a quiche it seems to get bland and dry.  So maybe I just don't like them. 

If I went to the OPs dinner I would be a bit disappointed because it would be a thin meal for me and i would have to stop on the way home so I could eat something.  I would just really suggest adding a few things in case not everyone loves quiche. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »

I have never had watery quiche.  They have usually been on the dry side. And I love scrambled eggs and breakfast scrambles.  Just once everything gets baked in a quiche it seems to get bland and dry.  So maybe I just don't like them. 

If I went to the OPs dinner I would be a bit disappointed because it would be a thin meal for me and i would have to stop on the way home so I could eat something.  I would just really suggest adding a few things in case not everyone loves quiche.

In my OP, I stated I was also making hash browns, bacon, fruit and coffee cake muffins.  I myself don't like quiche - I'm making it because others in the family do.  I hope that the rest of what I'm making isn't considered too thin of a dinner, as it's what I'll be having!

ETA: Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions!  DH doesn't like mushrooms so we're vetoing anything with those in them.  I found out that a local grocery store sells fresh quiche and that they're on sale this week, so I'm going to take a look at those to see if it's what I want. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:16:33 PM by Lady Snowdon »

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
For those who don't like quiche, maybe you can add toast for bacon sandwiches? That seems to make a hardier meal somehow.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »

In my OP, I stated I was also making hash browns, bacon, fruit and coffee cake muffins.  I myself don't like quiche - I'm making it because others in the family do.  I hope that the rest of what I'm making isn't considered too thin of a dinner, as it's what I'll be having!

ETA: Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions!  DH doesn't like mushrooms so we're vetoing anything with those in them.  I found out that a local grocery store sells fresh quiche and that they're on sale this week, so I'm going to take a look at those to see if it's what I want.

For me just hash browns and bacon are weird so I would end up with a muffin and fruit - which is fine for an actual breakfast but I would want more for dinner.  If you added pancakes or French toast to cereal it would fill it out a little.  But if everyone else likes quiche then it's all good.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
The Joy of Cooking (1997 edition) has a kind of all-purpose quiche recipe: pick your meat (optional), pick your vegetable(s), pick your cheese, add beaten eggs and cream. But I understand you may not want to run out and buy the book if you don't already own it just for that. If you go with the three quiches idea (which I love), I would make one classic bacon and onion quiche, one with vegetables, one "ethnic"--Italian, Greek, Mexican, etc. Breakfast casseroles are good, too, although if your guest list includes at least one vegetarian you should make two.

As for whether to try new dishes on guests--I do it all the time, but I don't choose very complicated dishes, or those that require advanced skills (like de-boning chicken or flambeing something), or those that require split second timing, or those whose combination of ingredients seems weird. I tend to stay away from recipes that say "Serve immediately."

SadieBaby

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
In a post below titled "Help With Baking Time" GoTwins said she was making an "egg bake" for a school event.  I had no idea what an egg bake was, so I googled it.  Allrecipes has at least two recipes for this and they both look delicious and not too difficult.  Maybe try one of these instead of a quiche? 

miranova

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quiche-supreme/detail.aspx

This is the recipe I use for quiche.  It is a real crowd pleaser.  We've taken it to many breakfast functions.  I always freeze leftover ham from Easter and Christmas so that I can use real off the bone ham for this quiche.  It is delicious.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »
For those who don't like quiche, maybe you can add toast for bacon sandwiches? That seems to make a hardier meal somehow.

We have made savory French Toast.  It goes over well with our guests and it's easy.

We use lard bread (if we can find it) or onion rye.  Sour dough could also be an option.  The egg and milk mixture is pretty traditional but we don't add spices such as cinnamon.  Instead of syrup we serve the dish with salsa.  The dish is a little unusual without being weird. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
In a post below titled "Help With Baking Time" GoTwins said she was making an "egg bake" for a school event.  I had no idea what an egg bake was, so I googled it.  Allrecipes has at least two recipes for this and they both look delicious and not too difficult.  Maybe try one of these instead of a quiche?

These are usually just a quiche without a crust. All the same risks apply.

bloo

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »

Yum! I've had sausage-n-egg and have made French toast egg bakes and they're a real crowd pleaser apart from being fairly simple.

My favorite quiche filling (and I've never met a quiche I didn't like) is spinach and feta! With the standard chopped, sautéed onions and pre-cooked bacon bits. I bake mine in quiche pans I purchased at Williams-Sonoma: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/gobel-standard-traditional-finish-round-quiche-pan/?pkey=e%7Cquiche%2Bpans%7C3%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

Not only are they delicious but pretty as well! When bringing dinner to someone's family (recovering from illness or accident) sometimes I make quiche, salad and bread rolls and it's always been appreciated (taking care to pay attention to dietary restrictions, of course). So while quiche is typically a brunch or lunch dish, I've served it for dinner a few times.

I've also done ham and asparagus with a dill hollandaise drizzle. Then there's mushroom and Swiss cheese! It's fairly standard for me to add bacon unless I know someone is an ova-lacto vegetarian (eats eggs and dairy but not meat itself).

It's generous of you to make it, OP, when you don't really prefer it yourself. I would be so tickled to be sitting down at your meal! :)

SadieBaby

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »

These are usually just a quiche without a crust. All the same risks apply.

Well, except the risk of messing up the crust!  And the ones I saw were made in a larger, rectangular pan, which for me would be easier than bothering with fussy little pie pans.  YMMV.  :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »
The crust has never been the problem for me with making quiche. Plus the frozen crusts are actually pretty good--I used to work at a food magazine, and the picky/snobby food editor loved them.

And hopefully the OP knows whether the crust is a problem for her. Lots of people have experience with crusts. And the crust can be made ahead, which lowers the pressure.