Author Topic: The FB no-reply  (Read 8158 times)

veronaz

Re: The FB no-reply
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
I've also had it happen at times that I typed and hit the send button on a reply and only find out a couple of days later that it didn't go through after all. I actually had that happen within the last couple of weeks even.

my bff and i have this exact issue,  we chat a lot thro fb pm's and at least once a day one or more messages don't got through.

Since you have this problem on a regular basis everyday, why continue to chat on FB?   ???

A lot of people have mentioned problems they frequently have while communicating (or trying to communicate) on FB.  I'm not understanding why you (general) keep using FB to communicate with people.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
I've also had it happen at times that I typed and hit the send button on a reply and only find out a couple of days later that it didn't go through after all. I actually had that happen within the last couple of weeks even.

my bff and i have this exact issue,  we chat a lot thro fb pm's and at least once a day one or more messages don't got through.

Since you have this problem on a regular basis everyday, why continue to chat on FB?   ???

A lot of people have mentioned problems they frequently have while communicating (or trying to communicate) on FB.  I'm not understanding why you (general) keep using FB to communicate with people.

We could probably tally up how many threads have to do with the phone, email, or snail mail (think of all those TY note threads!), but no one suggests these media should stop being used. Heck, think of all the etiquette problems that arise when seeing people in person!  ;D

veronaz

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 11:53:41 AM »
All I'm saying is that is a form of communication is malfunctioning on a daily basis, *maybe* it's time to try a different one.

Put money into vending machine, nothing comes out, put more money in, noting comes out, bang on machine, nothing comes out............hmmm.......maybe it would be better to try to vending machine down the hall and report the broken one.  I don't see where continuing to use that particular broken machine everyday would accomplish the goal of getting a cold drink.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
Facebook isn't broken. It can be glitchy but if you are a regular user you get used to its weird ways at times.

It's no different to how letters sometimes go missing in the post or your mobile loses coverage in the middle of a call. The vast majority of the time it works perfectly fine.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

veronaz

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
The vast majority of the time it works perfectly fine.

Oh, like shooting darts.  ;D

I guess if one chooses to use FB as a regular form of sending messages they need to accept that some messages won't go thru (on a daily basis according to some posts in this thread).

nayberry

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »

why shouldn't we?    she lives hundreds of miles away and its free to use, we know its a glitch somewhere but its not as if its lifesaving instructions, its chat and gossip and kvetching about inlaws.  for the one that doesn't go thro at least 30 do.

jackie jormp jomp

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 12:02:15 AM »
Usually I check and post to FB from my phone--but it's quick and not the best for messaging.  I just don't use the messaging function of FB all that much.  It's probably not personal.  You could follow up with a message asking for email or texting info.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »

why shouldn't we?    she lives hundreds of miles away and its free to use, we know its a glitch somewhere but its not as if its lifesaving instructions, its chat and gossip and kvetching about inlaws.  for the one that doesn't go thro at least 30 do.
For the record, GoogleChat is also free and almost never glitches. I have maybe one glitch a month and I have it permanently open on my pc to chat with friends all over the world.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

nayberry

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 11:23:31 AM »
thanks wolfway, i've had issues with them, incl a hack attempt, so i don't use them anymore.

Jobiska

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
Ha, sometimes even DH's and my brains are glitchy--we could have sworn we told each other something in real life and then it turns out we just thought we told them ;-)

I trust users to know exactly when something becomes more trouble than it's worth.  FB messaging is great for me and my family.  But if I don't get an answer, I don't assume the worst.  There are always several possible explanations!

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
OP, have you received any responses yet?

aloe

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
I've had a similar problem lately.  I sent a warm, short, personal private message to a FB Friend.  Quickly, it was marked as "Read" by FB...and the person never wrote back.  A "thank you" would have been enough.  I noticed that the person was posting things on their Wall.  I gave it about a week and then de-Friended.  Had the person not been active on FB, I would have not de-Friended.  I send very few FB private messages, and when I do, it is either necessary or important to me. I'm pretty liberal  about how I feel about people and their motives, but if I detect rudeness, I cut my ties.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
One reply, and I talked to one other via a different method. I'm deciding on unfriending the others at the moment.

Library Dragon

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2014, 12:35:53 AM »
The vast majority of the time it works perfectly fine.

Oh, like shooting darts.  ;D

I guess if one chooses to use FB as a regular form of sending messages they need to accept that some messages won't go thru (on a daily basis according to some posts in this thread).

I'll often use FB messaging to contact DH or DSs because if they don't have their phone near but are at their computer they (especially DSs), have FB open and will usually get my message. DSs don't use email much, but text or FB message.  My DH rarely "remembers" his cell phone.  We do like to use the video or regular chat option when we are traveling separately.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Aunt4God

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 12:42:56 AM »
Wow, one missed message means unfriending and no longer talking to that person?  I've had messages get completely buried by others sending messages afterward.  I had read the message, not been able to reply yet, and it got pushed way down in the pm queue to the point that I forgot about it.  Thankfully they didn't place so much importance on a single message sent through such an impersonal social networking website.  I also had a friend that I would send a message, wait, send a message, wait.......a year later, he finally got them.  Come to find out, he uses his phone for facebook, and for some reason it wasn't telling him when he got messages, and he was so busy with his family and job (he has triplets, with one of them severely disabled) that he didn't realize something was wrong. 

I guess if one unanswered message is enough to make you unfriend somebody, they weren't really friends to begin with.