Author Topic: Chicken stock: how much?  (Read 1170 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Chicken stock: how much?
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
I'm making a vegetable soup in a 4 qt slow cooker.  I've never attempted homemade soup before, but I know that I want it flavored, so I bought a box of chicken stock (Rachel Ray low sodium, liquid form.)  Thing is though, I've never used stock before.  So how much should I use?  I mean, I'm assuming I don't just dump the whole thing in there (wouldn't that make it too strong?)

magicdomino

Re: Chicken stock: how much?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
Quite possibly the whole box, if it isn't a concentrated paste or cube. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
I would use the whole container and taste partway through cooking. You may need to add seasoning and or salt.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
If it is straight liquid stock, I'd use the whole thing.  If it is a concentrated stock where you also have to add more water, check the directions to see how much it makes and go from there.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »
Most chicken stocks aren't going to be "too concentrated" just because you use more. You add more volume along with the flavor, which keeps them from being concentrated.

You might end up w/ a more concentrated flavor because you -removed- volume (by boiling away a lot of the water), but w/ chicken stock, the flavor is not so terribly strong that it will be unpleasant.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
And this is why I ask first. :D

Thanks, peeps.  I hate venturing into unknown territory without some form of road map.  Even if it's just so I can plan the areas I want to explore off the beaten path.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:30:19 PM »
Bay leaves could be a good addition.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
If you have never made soup before, I'd recommend sticking with a recipe instead of improvising.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:17:39 PM »
Is soup really that touchy? I wouldn't think so.

I know someone who throws almost every leftover in her house in the soup--mashed potatoes, greens, whatever vegetables, Chinese sesame noodles...everything. She claims it's delicious.

Oh, and I'd use the whole box--I wouldn't personally water down stock in terms of making soup--every ounce of the liquid would be stock. I like my soups flavorful.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »

See, this was my thinking... flavorful liquid + ingredients = soup.  It seems to be the simplest of cooked foods. (For the record, I'm going with chicken stock, celery, carrot, onion, potatoes, and tomatoes, in addition to garlic and seasonings.)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how you mess that up.

OK, you might have -more- veggies than I like; or -not enough- for my tastes. But it's not like it's going to be awful.

I guess you could cook it way too long, so that the veggies are mush--but then, you just mush them up, stir them in, and call it a thick soup.
   If you undercook them, just call it crunchy soup.

buvezdevin

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 02:28:02 PM »

See, this was my thinking... flavorful liquid + ingredients = soup.  It seems to be the simplest of cooked foods. (For the record, I'm going with chicken stock, celery, carrot, onion, potatoes, and tomatoes, in addition to garlic and seasonings.)

Sounds yummy!  One extra step you can try, if you feel like trying it for future soups, is to roast or sauté the root vegetables with a light coating of oil before adding them to the soup.  It develops additional flavor depth, especially with onion or garlic.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
Yeah, I was making stock as Thanksgiving practice, and it was interesting how much difference the roasting made.

Ditto once when I made soup and started by sauteing the onions.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
Ohhh I will have to try sauteeing the onions. 

As for the OP's question.. For me, it is a look and see type of thing.  If you have lots of veggies in your soup, you may want to add more stock to it. I like chunky soup, but not so chunky it turns into a stew.  It won't hurt it if you use too much, you can always add more veggies. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how you mess that up.

OK, you might have -more- veggies than I like; or -not enough- for my tastes. But it's not like it's going to be awful.

I guess you could cook it way too long, so that the veggies are mush--but then, you just mush them up, stir them in, and call it a thick soup.
   If you undercook them, just call it crunchy soup.

I made a really wrong chicken soup once...whole chicken and too many carrots. It turned into carrot flavored chicken fat  I still don't know how I did it.

Anyway....Just check the directions on the stock to make sure its not concentrated.  IF the soup reduces too much add water, check at the 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4 done points  you don't want to add water just before you eat it.