Author Topic: Chicken stock: how much?  (Read 1311 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Chicken stock: how much?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »
you don't want to add water just before you eat it.

Interesting--why not?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 04:47:25 PM »
you don't want to add water just before you eat it.

Interesting--why not?

I find it tastes a bit like soup with water if I don't give the added water 15 -25 minutes to absorb the full flavor.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how you mess that up.

OK, you might have -more- veggies than I like; or -not enough- for my tastes. But it's not like it's going to be awful.

I guess you could cook it way too long, so that the veggies are mush--but then, you just mush them up, stir them in, and call it a thick soup.
   If you undercook them, just call it crunchy soup.

I made a really wrong chicken soup once...whole chicken and too many carrots. It turned into carrot flavored chicken fat  I still don't know how I did it.

Anyway....Just check the directions on the stock to make sure its not concentrated.  IF the soup reduces too much add water, check at the 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4 done points  you don't want to add water just before you eat it.

Curious - did you keep the carrots and other veggies you used to make the stock?  I remove all the stuff, strain the remaining chunks, skim fat and use strictly the stock and then add fresh veggies to it when I am making soup.   When my stock is done, all the veggies are mixed with bones and kind of mushed up, so they all get removed.

I wasn't sure b/c it sounds like a few people make their stock this way, keeping the veggies instead of discarding them.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »
I would discard the veggies I used to make the stock. I figure they're pretty played-out. And I suppose you could put so very many carrots in that the carrot flavor would overpower everything. But I'd think it would be more than 1 or 2; or, you'd have to cook them for so long.

But our OP is making soup, so I'd expect to keep those veggies in.

And w/ soup, I wouldn't cook it longer than what it took to soften the veggies, so I'd think that a plentitude of carrots wouldn't mess up the carrot flavor that much since it's not cooking that long.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 08:29:47 PM »

I'm a big fan of what I call "kitchen sink soup"  - because you throw everything but the kitchen sink into it. Soup is pretty flexible, but it is still possible to mess it up.

Starchy ingredients, like noodles, barley or rice, absorb more water than you'd expect, and can suck up all the liquid, leaving you with a mushy stew rather than soup. Strong ingredients can dominate the flavour - think turnip, radish, or too much cabbage. Things like onion and celery can have an unpleasant texture if they aren't sauteed first. It's possible to over salt - particularly if you add salt at the beginning, and that's hard to correct. And, in general, if you throw too many random flavours together you can end up with something muddy tasting and not very appetizing.

So I might throw some leftover pesto chicken into a soup, and go with an Italian flavour profile - tomatoes, spinach, etc. Or I might add those sesame noodles, and adjust the seasonings to something more Asian, with a bit of soy sauce. But sesame noodles and pesto chicken wouldn't get thrown into the same soup.

Mashed potatoes might work, but if you just throw them in, they'll probably end up lumpy. I'd mix the potatoes with the broth, separately, blending until smooth, before adding to the chunky ingredients.

magicdomino

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
Mashed potatoes are good for getting a "creamy" soup that doesn't contain cream.  Thanks to some kind of dairy intolerence, I'm off cream soups.  One or two red potatoes cooked-to-death in chicken broth give a little body to the unsweetened soy milk. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how you mess that up.

OK, you might have -more- veggies than I like; or -not enough- for my tastes. But it's not like it's going to be awful.

I guess you could cook it way too long, so that the veggies are mush--but then, you just mush them up, stir them in, and call it a thick soup.
   If you undercook them, just call it crunchy soup.

I made a really wrong chicken soup once...whole chicken and too many carrots. It turned into carrot flavored chicken fat  I still don't know how I did it.

Anyway....Just check the directions on the stock to make sure its not concentrated.  IF the soup reduces too much add water, check at the 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4 done points  you don't want to add water just before you eat it.

Curious - did you keep the carrots and other veggies you used to make the stock?  I remove all the stuff, strain the remaining chunks, skim fat and use strictly the stock and then add fresh veggies to it when I am making soup.   When my stock is done, all the veggies are mixed with bones and kind of mushed up, so they all get removed.

I wasn't sure b/c it sounds like a few people make their stock this way, keeping the veggies instead of discarding them.

I was making soup not stock (so I wasnt doing boil with one carrot etc and strain then add in new carrots to have in the soup)...I would have added stock to get it chickeny enough.  I was just so so so very bad. 

Ive never had it happen again.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 05:08:01 PM »
Ahhh that makes sense.  I was a bit confused since the thread title was stock.