Author Topic: Cool Whip, why???  (Read 7170 times)

nayberry

Cool Whip, why???
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
so after watching many cooking shows, seeing recipes on pinterest and the inevitable family guy quote....  i looked up cool whip.

after looking at the ingredients i have to ask, why wouldn't you just use cream?? 

i know it was "invented" at a time where it was probably very handy to get items like that in a frozen state but still....

*all you's are general etc etc

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Cool Whip, why???
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
I have no idea, but I know that there are people who are so used to buying products like cool whip, or canned whipped topping, that they don't really know how to make whipped cream. Or they know, but are afraid that if they try they'll just end up with butter.

You have to really work at it, or really ignore it for a long time, to end up with butter. I know. I did it - deliberately - just to see if I could. IME, it'd take some doing to aim for whipped cream and end up with butter. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »
so after watching many cooking shows, seeing recipes on pinterest and the inevitable family guy quote....  i looked up cool whip.

after looking at the ingredients i have to ask, why wouldn't you just use cream?? 

i know it was "invented" at a time where it was probably very handy to get items like that in a frozen state but still....

*all you's are general etc etc

I think it started out for reasons of shipping/preservation, and at this point it sticks around because it's different enough that a lot of people like it for its own sake. It has its own flavor and texture. (It's a big nostalgia thing, too.) It's kind of like how some people like mayo and some like Miracle Whip.

AvidReader

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
Better living through chemistry, no?  It is sold in the frozen foods case and can have a long "shelf life" in the freezer just waiting to be used, with minimal defrosting, at the last minute.  I agree, I'd rather plan things out, buy the cream, and make whipped cream when it is needed.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
For certain desserts it works better. Like a key lime pie, which gets stuck in the freezer before eating. I'm not sure how well real whipped cream freezes (or thaws for that matter). With the particular recipe I use, putting the whipped cream on top while serving would not be the same at all. (It is like lemon meringue, only the cool whip is instead of the meringue, the key lime part has sweetened condensed milk instead of eggs, graham crumbs or crushed nuts instead of pastry, and the whole things is served half frozen as a wonderful hot day dessert.)

cattlekid

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »
For me, the only recipes I have where I use Cool Whip is where it is used as a ingredient in or a replacement for frosting on a cake.  It would be hard to keep whipped cream from destabilizing when saving leftover cake, whereas Cool Whip will be stable for quite a while in the fridge.

ETA:  I typed the word "whill" when writing out this post.   ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
Cream also isn't something a lot of Americans just keep in the fridge.  It's not used for many recipes unless you're big into making your own sauces, and since it's a bit finicky to cook with (have to get the heat and timing just right) and expires relatively quickly, most people just buy it if they know they're making something special.  Cool Whip, on the other hand, can be kept in the freezer for ages.   It's also really cheap - the Kraft Dinner of "dairy" products  :P

Hillia

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »
Convenience.  I eat a lot of sugar free Jello or pudding for treats, and a little cool-whip goes a long way towards spiffing it up.  It's just not worth the bother to make whipped cream, and I'm not even sure how long it would last in the fridge.  If I were baking some amazing dessert, I would go to the effort to make 'real' whipped cream.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jmarvellous

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
I have never bought it, but if I'm getting a slice of pie at a family gathering, I certainly don't strongly dislike it.

I find real whipped cream too fatty by comparison; it flattens the flavor of whatever it's topping, in my opinion. I have made it a couple of times but prefer to go without. I certainly never buy cream unless it's for a specific recipe. (I keep almond milk at home for coffee/cereal/cooking.)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »
Cool Whip was invented in the 1960s, the prime years of convenience foods. Much easier to buy Cool Whip than to whip the cream yourself. I think it might also have been cheaper than buying cream, but I'm not sure of prices from that era.

My family didn't use Cool Whip. We had Dream Whip, which was a packet of white powder that you added milk to and beat with an electric mixer to make something like whipped cream. Again, I think it was cheaper than buying real cream.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
 Someone may know off the top of their heads but I think food labels were very different when cool whip came out.  So it was just a nondairy and instant alternative to whipping cream or ready whip. I'm guessing the same as margarine  there was a "its vegetable so its better for you."  thought too.   Also for awhile packaged food was "cool" people wanted Tang not orange juice  etc.  FYI rediwhip  came out before coolwhip

Now I think some people grew up with it so thats what they like.

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
I plead guilty.   :)  It's the stabilizers, more than anything.  Real whipped cream can get pretty sad if made hours ahead of time, and the circumstances where I'd be using whipped cream are usually ones where it is inconvenient to make just before, like large holiday meals and office pot-lucks.  I've heard that homemade whipped cream can be stablized with gelatin, but never tried it.  On the other hand, for home desserts, I'd have to make one serving at a time.  Again, Cool Whip's stabilizers enable the leftover "cream" to go back into the freezer. 

Actually, I usually skip the "cream" completely or go with vanilla ice cream.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
or go with vanilla ice cream.

Now this is the solution to everything.   8)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
I mostly don't eat whipped cream or anything similar. So on the rare occasions that I do eat it, I have absolutely no desire to make it myself. If I had a stand mixer, I might be more inclined, but I pretty much never want to whip anything that long by hand.

Also, I really don't use full-fat milk or cream when I cook, unless I really have to (and I often just don't make recipes that don't allow for substitutions). I don't care for the taste, and I don't care for the additional fat. I grew up drinking skim milk, and am far happier subbing that or yogurt or sour cream, when I can.

For desserts, I tend not to buy Cool Whip because I didn't grow up eating it, but I do sometimes substitute vanilla ice cream for whipped cream. :) For people who don't want to sub ice cream (or for recipes where that isn't possible), Cool Whip is easier than actual whipped cream.

wheeitsme

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »
I love real cream.  I also love cool whip.  Different food and flavor for different applications. And cool whip does have more stability than plain whipped cream.