Author Topic: Cool Whip, why???  (Read 6859 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Cool Whip, why???
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
Just reading the ingredients of Cool Whip and I'm gagging. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, gums, artificial flavours and thickeners... :o

Is this really necessary, when people on this thread have said they like it? I think that falls under yucking people's yum.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
People have said they find cream unappetising, sand it's not as if that knowledge is secret. I admit also that some people find things I find gross, particularly corn syrup of any description. It's a matter of taste.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
People have said they find cream unappetising, sand it's not as if that knowledge is secret. I admit also that some people find things I find gross, particularly corn syrup of any description. It's a matter of taste.

It's not the "knowledge," it's the "gagging."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:33 PM »
Cool Whip also works in recipes involving Jello.  I've used both in SF form and get the same results as the standard products.

Hillia

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
Just reading the ingredients of Cool Whip and I'm gagging. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, gums, artificial flavours and thickeners... :o

Is this really necessary, when people on this thread have said they like it? I think that falls under yucking people's yum.

Thank you.  I was starting to feel like a uncultured slob, too lazy to make my own whipped cream, and too ignorant to realize what swill I was eating.  "I don't care for the taste/I try hard not to eat HFCS/I prefer real cream" is one thing, but there's no need to go on about how gross and disgusting it is.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
There are plenty of things I like that would people would call "gross" and would make them gag. Vegemite, for instance. I don't think they're wrong for saying such things, they just don't like it and don't grow up with it like I did.

alkira6

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »
For those who prefer real whipped cream, add 2 tablespoons of plain powdered gelatin to a pint of cream right before whipping. Stays firm for a couple of days whether you sweeten it or not.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »
so after watching many cooking shows, seeing recipes on pinterest and the inevitable family guy quote....  i looked up cool whip.

after looking at the ingredients i have to ask, why wouldn't you just use cream?? 

i know it was "invented" at a time where it was probably very handy to get items like that in a frozen state but still....

*all you's are general etc etc
I have no idea. Cool Whip was forbidden in my parent's house and it isn't allowed in mine.
That said - I've had kid guests who announced to their parents in amazement

"Did you know you can make fried chicken at home"
"Did you know you can use the mixer to make whip cream"
"Did you know you can make popcorn without a microwave"
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

menley

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:58 AM »
There are plenty of things I like that would people would call "gross" and would make them gag. Vegemite, for instance. I don't think they're wrong for saying such things, they just don't like it and don't grow up with it like I did.

I think the point is that it's fine to think those things to yourself, but it's not polite to tell others. I would think that even though you accept that others don't like vegemite, you wouldn't appreciate someone saying to you "You like that stuff? Gag! Vomit! Ew!"

Goosey

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
I eat cool whip out of the bowl with a spoon. Something about the texture really gives me warm happy feelings.

I apologize for nothing!  ;D

nayberry

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:06 AM »
TBH katana's reaction is what mine was,   its a faked up product with so many odd things in it that i can't see why normal cream isn't more popular, especially as cream freezes easily, i've also never had an issue with whipped cream not keeping its "whip" for several day.

it really is about how you grew up and what you had then  as opposed to "bleurgh yuk". 
i know that there are several things i don't even think of buying because i know how easy they are to make & yet i actually had to teach a friend of mine some basic recipes as he mother never cooked from scratch.  and by basic i mean cottage pies, roasting a chicken, even making mashed potatoes.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »
Let's be civil folks.  If you don't care for something, say you don't care for something, no need to use extreme language and descriptions.  Let's also stop arguing about whether there's an insult, because I really don't want to shut down a threat about Cool Whip.

mich3554

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »
Cool Whip is an abomination, along the same lines as American cheese and cheez wiz.

When I was in rehab, I couldn't understand why they only used this on all the desserts that were on my tray.  Even scraping it off contaminated whatever was under it and made it inedible to me.

The light clicked on that the rehab place was Jewish and cooked under Kosher dietary restrictions.  Cool Whip or whipped topping was a way to gussy up a dessert and get past the dairy/meat issue.  I would have preferred that they just leave it off, but that wasn't happening.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
I eat cool whip out of the bowl with a spoon. Something about the texture really gives me warm happy feelings.

I apologize for nothing!  ;D

me too, also sweetened condensed milk right out of the can

I think I may be in love with you...

Hillia

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:39 PM »
I've been enjoying big ol' spoonfuls all day.  mmmm good!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools