Author Topic: Cool Whip, why???  (Read 6784 times)

menley

Re: Cool Whip, why???
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
My sister used to use Cool Whip as her reward while dieting - if she ate her diet plan all day without deviating, she would allow herself a small spoon of Cool Whip at night before bed. She said it was perfect because while it satisfied a sweets craving, she didn't love it (like she did Oreos or M&Ms) so she could easily restrain herself to just one spoon.

veryfluffy

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 05:52:44 PM »
I was interested in this idea that whipped cream doesn't hold together for some reason. In general, over here in the UK we use double cream for making desserts, which is 48% fat, rather than whipping cream which is 35%. In the US whipping cream seems to start at 30% fat, and then heavy cream is 36%.  I guess double cream whips up more firmly, whereas whipping cream gives a lighter texture. I just whip it as I need it, though, so I never even thought about how long it holds up for.

We would use single cream (18%) to pour over desserts like crumble.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
I was interested in this idea that whipped cream doesn't hold together for some reason. In general, over here in the UK we use double cream for making desserts, which is 48% fat, rather than whipping cream which is 35%. In the US whipping cream seems to start at 30% fat, and then heavy cream is 36%.  I guess double cream whips up more firmly, whereas whipping cream gives a lighter texture. I just whip it as I need it, though, so I never even thought about how long it holds up for.

We would use single cream (18%) to pour over desserts like crumble.

Huh. I never thought there might be a difference between cream across countries, but that makes sense!

XRogue

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
Some people used to use it for allergy reasons until they started putting dairy in it (my mother is allergic to dairy and used to have egg allergy, so cool whip was her way of getting around both whipped cream and meringue as a topping)

The egg allergy is now gone and there are both coconut milk and soy based whipped "creams" in a can at some stores. Both are very tasty (and I *love* milk and cream!)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2014, 08:23:17 AM »
Adding to the whipped cream issue is the fact that most cream sold in the US is ultra-pasteurized--it is heated to a higher temperature than regularly pasteurized cream, to increase the shelf life. Guar and other additives may be added to ultra-pasteurized cream. And it doesn't whip up as well as regular cream.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
Adding to the whipped cream issue is the fact that most cream sold in the US is ultra-pasteurized--it is heated to a higher temperature than regularly pasteurized cream, to increase the shelf life. Guar and other additives may be added to ultra-pasteurized cream. And it doesn't whip up as well as regular cream.

It's just about impossible to find cream without additives, even most organic stuff. I get mine at Trader Joes and it's just cream, nothing else. Somehow it's thicker than any of the stuff I've bought with added thickeners which makes me crazy.

nayberry

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »

It's just about impossible to find cream without additives, even most organic stuff. I get mine at Trader Joes and it's just cream, nothing else. Somehow it's thicker than any of the stuff I've bought with added thickeners which makes me crazy.

makes me glad that cream in the uk is just that, cream, nothing added to your basic variety,

i found this wiki interesting, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream , has how creams are categorised in different countries.

Peregrine

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »
I tend to think that Cool Whip is like many other types of convenience foods developed in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  They were originally developed to help increase shelf stability and longevity of products for people who otherwise wouldn't have access.

In order to help housewives use the new convenience foods, companies spent a lot of time developing recipes and running contests to get people to use these products.  Now a couple of generations later, we grew up with these recipes which are now comfort foods for us.  Think layered Jello desserts, Velveeta/Ritz cracker/broccoli casseroles, Campbells Cream of Soup casseroles.  A lot of people are figuring out how to remake those recipes with a more whole foods approach, but some them just work better with the ingredients they were developed around.

I cook all the time with whole foods and "real" ingredients....but you all have me craving my Grandma's famous potluck dessert.  Pineapple dream "salad."  Consisting of cool whip, canned pineapple, and a few other things over a graham cracker crust.  Grandma is long gone, and that dessert is not at all healthy, but its nostalgic and reminds me of spending summer evenings at her house.  She would make fabulous garden dinners with all sorts of fresh veggies from her huge garden (mmm...new potatoes, homegrown tomatoes that would make you weep, squash etc.) and proudly served Pineapple Dream salad to us. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 06:36:07 AM »
I have three of the Jello cookbooks and was hugely relieved to discover that the recipes work with the sugar-free version and the sugar-free Cool Whip.  Now if only I could get the end results to look like the photos in them......

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
I love Cool Whip. I realize it bears no resemblance -- in ingredients or taste -- to real whipped cream, which I love, but it's tasty on its own merits.

Cool Whip and similar foods came from a time when convenience/labor-saving was a big selling point. Even before the influx of moms into the work force, there was the rise of suburbia and car culture here in the U.S. Even stay-at-home moms were pressed for time, what with ferrying kids to and from after-school lessons, sports practices, etc. They embraced the quick and easy food options from the supermarket, McDonald's or KFC out of necessity. And their kids (us) grew up eating and liking that stuff.

I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible these days, but sometimes nothing hits the spot like a McDonald's burger, KFC chicken, or dish of instant pudding with a dollop of Cool Whip. And Yodels. Do not get me started on Yodels ....
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Jones

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
My world can always use a little more Cool Whip. Usually fat free. I stock up at Thanksgiving and make Jello salads the next few months.

wheeitsme

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
This week I mixed a container of strawberry Yoplait with low-fat cool whip and ate it on top of strawberries.

Yum.

NyaChan

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 01:17:05 AM »
This is embarrassing, but it took reading this thread for me to realize that Cool Whip was actually a substitute for whipped cream rather than some independent product.

nayberry

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
This is embarrassing, but it took reading this thread for me to realize that Cool Whip was actually a substitute for whipped cream rather than some independent product.

thats why i looked it up, i see it in so many recipes and on shows so i had wondered what it was for a while before i bothered to look it up :)

NyaChan

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »

thats why i looked it up, i see it in so many recipes and on shows so i had wondered what it was for a while before i bothered to look it up :)

Ah but I'm American and have been eating it since I was a kid  :-[ just never thought about I guess lol