Author Topic: Cool Whip, why???  (Read 6857 times)

DavidH

Re: Cool Whip, why???
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
The best use I can come up with is when you don't want to eat dairy, but want something related to whipped cream, say if you're lactose intolerant or can't mix milk and meat at the same meal.  It also seems to go well with Jello, but it's not like Jello is a natural flavor either. 

In general, I find whipped cream in a can a great compromise.  It's much closer to real whipped cream than Cool Whip, stays a while in the fridge, and is incredibly easy to use. 

squashedfrog

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »
Not sure what cool whip is and always wondered.  Is it like the uk "dream topping"?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »
Not sure what cool whip is and always wondered.  Is it like the uk "dream topping"?

From a quick googling of dream topping, I think so, yes.

DavidH

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
Cool Whip is a non-dairy whipped topping that is sold frozen and seems meant to approximate whipped cream.  Apparently, now they have added some milk to it, which seems to defeat half of the reason for it's existence.  It's not bad, but only the most inattentive diner would mistake it for real whipped cream. 

It's also convenient, since it is sold frozen and will last almost forever in the freezer.

nayberry

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »
The best use I can come up with is when you don't want to eat dairy, but want something related to whipped cream, say if you're lactose intolerant or can't mix milk and meat at the same meal.  It also seems to go well with Jello, but it's not like Jello is a natural flavor either. 

In general, I find whipped cream in a can a great compromise.  It's much closer to real whipped cream than Cool Whip, stays a while in the fridge, and is incredibly easy to use.

but it does contain dairy, so its not parve,

ok, its interesting to me as i come from a strong cooking background on both sides of the family.  my mum never bought things like dream topping or findus crispy pancakes (tbh i don't think i missed out).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »

I think it used to not contain dairy.

nayberry

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

I think it used to not contain dairy.

wiki - " but in Jewish dietary traditions, Cool Whip was classified as dairy rather than parve (non-meat and non-dairy) because of the sodium caseinate (which is derived from milk). Cool Whip now contains milk and cream."

Library Dragon

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
A quick tip to stabilize whipped cream, a tsp of instant vanilla pudding per cup of heavy cream.  It adds just a bit of sweetness.  :-*

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MagicEyes

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
You can use powdered milk to make whipped cream that lasts for a while. It's firmer than normal whipped cream and it works really well to frost a cake (and it's soooo good on chocolate cake!)

I add 3 Tbsp powdered milk to a pint of cream with 1/2 cup of confectioner's sugar (sifted), beat until it's stiff, and mix in a teaspoon of vanilla. It stays firm for 2 or 3 days. So, if you don't like the taste of Cool Whip, this should work just fine anywhere you would use Cool Whip. Which reminds me, I need to make an ice cream sandwich cake. Anyone want to help me eat it?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:01 PM »
A quick tip to stabilize whipped cream, a tsp of instant vanilla pudding per cup of heavy cream.  It adds just a bit of sweetness.  :-*

Does that mean it will retain the whipped consistency for longer (refrigerated)? For how long? Do you add it right away or with the sugar?

We don't eat cool whip so I always make whipped cream but only when it can be eaten within a few hours. There is one dish I make with it, a type of fruit salad, that will keep for 24 hours (don't know if it'd last longer, it's never had a chance  :D). Come to think of it that does have vanilla instant pudding. You mix the pudding with buttermilk and then fold in the whipped cream and fruit, but it does keep just fine. How interesting!

HorseFreak

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
I like the flavor and consistency of Cool Whip better. My stomach doesn't handle much high fat dairy at once anyway.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
Just reading the ingredients of Cool Whip and I'm gagging. Hydrogenated vegetable oil, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, gums, artificial flavours and thickeners... :o

If we have cream it's normally thickened cream, which has gelatine added to it to help it whip but it can also be used for soups and sauces. I don't mind shipping cream for special occasions, it takes a while but I will add a tiny bit if icing sugar. More than often we will use cream in a soup and the rest with dessert.

katycoo

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
I'm so surprised about the 'instability" comments.  I only ever use real whipped cream and have never noticed it to not retain its whipped texture, even when whipped days ahead of time.

Library Dragon

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 08:57:22 PM »

Does that mean it will retain the whipped consistency for longer (refrigerated)? For how long? Do you add it right away or with the sugar?

We don't eat cool whip so I always make whipped cream but only when it can be eaten within a few hours. There is one dish I make with it, a type of fruit salad, that will keep for 24 hours (don't know if it'd last longer, it's never had a chance  :D). Come to think of it that does have vanilla instant pudding. You mix the pudding with buttermilk and then fold in the whipped cream and fruit, but it does keep just fine. How interesting!

I add it after whipping the cream for about 30 seconds, then finish. I don't add sugar to my whipped cream, but I think you could add the pudding mix at the same time.

It keeps its consistency for a few days. It doesn't stay long in my home.  :) 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 08:57:39 PM »
I have a stand mixer, so it takes me less than 5 minutes to whip cream. I don't eat Cool Whip, since I don't eat hydrogenated oil products. I add a small amount of confectioner's sugar, vanilla and salt. If I want to use it for more than one day, I will add a little cornstarch to help it keep from weeping.