We had to buy an apartment sized fridge when we first got married because that is what fit in our apartment. We just within the last few months (almost 5 years after we moved into the house) bought a larger sized fridge. I love it!
We got a Whirlpool fridge, with French doors (may not work for you it sounds like) with the fridge on the bottom.
1) my four year old can go in and pull out her pancakes in the morning by herself now - she likes to help, and before would drag over a chair to do this when the freezer was on top
2) we don't leave a lot in the freezer (I have a stand alone freezer, so my fridge-freezer is for a few basic items we use daily/weekly - if I didn't have the 2nd freezer, this set up would not work for us because it would be easier for things to get lost
3) we specifically bought a fridge that did not have a water dispenser because while they are nice, they a) take up space and b) they are one of the items that break down frequently, and I didn't want to have to deal with that
4) our fridge does have an ice maker but we don't use it - see 3 above - if I could have gotten one without it, I would have
5) I am short, so things could get lost in my freezer because I couldn't see it. We have glass shelves, so while I can't necessarily easily reach things in the back of the top shelves, I can see them.
6) I put more things in my fridge than my freezer, and I hated having to get on the floor to put my fruits and veggies in the bins on the lower level when I had a fridge with the freezer on top.
7) I had my eye on one, and when they were upgrading to a new model of that fridge, bought the floor model, which means it was never used but can't be sold at the regular price - this one was in excellent condition, but you should be careful before you do this so you don't end up with one with a cracked piece somewhere.