Author Topic: How to buy a refrigerator  (Read 1220 times)

123sandy

Re: How to buy a refrigerator
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 09:06:58 AM »
When it comes to fridge/freezers bigger is better. I miss the big US style ones. The European ones are tiny and after 12 years I still find them too small!

MyFamily

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 01:49:58 PM »
We had to buy an apartment sized fridge when we first got married because that is what fit in our apartment.  We just within the last few months (almost 5 years after we moved into the house) bought a larger sized fridge.  I love it!

We got a Whirlpool fridge, with French doors (may not work for you it sounds like) with the fridge on the bottom. 
1) my four year old can go in and pull out her pancakes in the morning by herself now - she likes to help, and before would drag over a chair to do this when the freezer was on top
2) we don't leave a lot in the freezer (I have a stand alone freezer, so my fridge-freezer is for a few basic items we use daily/weekly - if I didn't have the 2nd freezer, this set up would not work for us because it would be easier for things to get lost
3) we specifically bought a fridge that did not have a water dispenser because while they are nice, they a) take up space and b) they are one of the items that break down frequently, and I didn't want to have to deal with that
4) our fridge does have an ice maker but we don't use it  - see 3 above - if I could have gotten one without it, I would have
5) I am short, so things could get lost in my freezer because I couldn't see it.  We have glass shelves, so while I can't necessarily easily reach things in the back of the top shelves, I can see them.
6) I put more things in my fridge than my freezer, and I hated having to get on the floor to put my fruits and veggies in the bins on the lower level when I had a fridge with the freezer on top.
7) I had my eye on one, and when they were upgrading to a new model of that fridge, bought the floor model, which means it was never used but can't be sold at the regular price - this one was in excellent condition, but you should be careful before you do this so you don't end up with one with a cracked piece somewhere.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »
I have a Samsung French door and love it.  You can get a top fridge freezer bottom with the single door.  Keep on mind the water dispenser on the door that's away fridge door and shelf space.  We have the model with the interior water dispenser and ice in the bottom freezer.   

We found the model at Best Buy on sale.  I didn't want to deal with BB because their after service is with Geek Squad.  I tool the BB ad to Lowes and they matched the sale price, ordered the fridge, free delivery and haul away of the old one.   BB charged for all that. 

Don't be afraid to price match.  Lowes and HD will match..they carry different brands.  I couldn't get the Samsung at HD. 

Get as big as you can.

I have an upright freezer so the freezer with the fridge has my frozen veggies and smaller narrower packages.  I have to know what is in there because things get buried.  But I live the fridge eye level part.  Will never go back to the old style fridge.  Ever.

DavidH

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 04:00:58 PM »
I prefer fridge on top, am okay with freezer on top, and hate the side by side, since it seems to me that each side is always to narrow, but there must be some people who think the opposite or they wouldn't make different designs.  For me, I like the width to put a pizza box or cake in the fridge and I can't do that in a side to side.  I think an ice maker in the freezer is great, but water on the door means nothing to me. 

For size, I have seen standard depth, counter depth, and built in, in increasing order of price.  In apartments near me, many people have bought a giant fridge that seems to stick out and take over the galley kitchen.  Those with a counter depth have much more walking space and I think it makes the room look better.  The built in are great, but much taller and amazingly expensive. If you can afford them, I think they are the best mix of space inside vs. outside, since the motor is on top, beyond where most people could reach and they don't stick out into the room.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
We have had all three types.  Freezer on top, side by side and freezer on the bottom.

Please note that the doors of the side by side do NOT exceed the width of the refrigerator unless you need to push them waaay open so they stay while you load or unload a whole bunch of stuff in there.

My current refrigerator is my favorite by far.  I hope it lasts forever.  It's a Samsung bottom freezer, but it has drawers which are very convenient and keep all your frozen stuff reachable.  Two are full width drawers and the other is a little more than half width (we use that one for ice cream and stuff). 

Next to the half drawer is a really easy to use ice cube maker, but it's not automatic.  You fill the trays with water and slide them in.  When you want cubes you turn a dial and it dumps the cubes into a big bin below.  We didn't have the tubing installed for an automatic ice cube maker and so we didn't want that feature.  I've never regretted not having it.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »
I prefer freezer on top, personally.
You tend to loose space with a side-by-side model.
Think about getting a textured finish; it won't show fingerprints as much.
I have never known an single person happy with the water/ice dispenser in the door. Literally every one I have ever known that had that feature had problems with it.
I have been told that the chrome look ones are the worst at showing smudges, etc.

I just bought a Frigidaire a few months ago and love it. As others have suggested, I purchased the largest model that would fit in the space I had available.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
If you are in the habit of buying frozen pizza, don't get a side by side.  It won't fit horizontally.  And you have to really move shelves around to fit it vertically.  Then all the toppings fall off.   ;D

We have side-by-side at work, with water and ice in the door.  There is almost no freezer space because of that and the fridge space isn't all that good either.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
We buy all our appliances at the Sears outlet store (and with three rental houses, we have a *lot* of experience buying appliances).  A lot of them have cosmetic damage, but it's often on the sides or back where it's not visible anyway.

The fridge we bought for our own house has three deep gouges in the handle, but they're perfectly parallel and at a jaunty angle - rather artistic. I like knowing that the fridge can stand up to zombies. (And we got the fridge, which is enormous, for dirt-cheap because of the gouges.)
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »
The funny thing is, you could probably buy a new handle if you really wanted one; replacement parts are available. And I bet it would cost much less than the price differential.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »
I have a side-by-side and am generally happy with it, but I'll probably try something else next time.  As Outdoor Girl mentioned, there's not room to lay pizza boxes flat. 
My main complaint is that because the refrigerator side is next to a wall, it's not possible to open the door wide enough to easily remove the shelves for cleaning.  Nor is it easy to put them back in.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

bloo

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
1) When measuring, include hinges in your measurements if you have cabinets that will be above the fridge (depending on how far the cabinets jut out).

2) Check Consumer Reports. It's worth a one month fee for the research!

3) My preference would be a bottom freezer but at my price-point, I couldn't afford a big enough one. So I have a top freezer. It's nice but not too nice. I haaaaaaaate side-by-sides.

See I rent and when I leave in 2-3 years I will probably end up leaving this refrigerator. The fridge that came in the house, while brand new, is too small for a family of four adult-sized persons that cook from scratch most meals. So DH is using the landlord's fridge as a kegerator while I use the new fridge for our family's food.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
I hate our crappy Hotpoint refrigerator, but don't get to pick my own for two more years. We have shims to keep the drawers in place. I don't care for the French door, bottom freezer model my parents have either.

I want to have what my grandmother always had, a refrigerator only inside and an upright freezer in the garage. A separate ice maker on the counter in the kitchen.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »
Two more things to look out for- having pull out drawers in the fridge rather than shelves can make your life easier (my parents have them in their new fridge and I'll go for that when mine needs to be replaced)

Also energy efficiency- it can sometimes be cheaper to buy a more expensive item if the running costs will be lower.
NE England