Author Topic: Lil Kim's registry  (Read 2136 times)

Katana_Geldar

Lil Kim's registry
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »
Will you be buying anything?  ;)

$1700 cradle? $575 sterling silver cup?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/lil-kim-asks-fans-to-buy-her-baby-shower-gifts-from-registry/story-fnk826rj-1226919112022

I think this is beyond tacky...but people want to buy her things?

sammycat

• Super Hero!
Re: Lil Kim's registry
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »
I have no idea who this gimme-pig is, but the whole thing is disgusting.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:22 AM »
I don't think being polite is really a consideration for her in general.

Coralreef

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
 :o :o :o

I think entitled doesn't really cover the gimmie pig here.

[/right

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
Not terribly surprising, but definitely tacky.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Lynn2000

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't like the idea of asking "fans" to buy stuff for her child. Often with celebrities--Prince George comes to mind--the parents specifically ask random people not to buy for their baby, but rather make a donation to a baby-centric charity or something like that, for parents who truly can't afford to support their children (or babies who don't really have parents at all).

If it was just her more or less private list for her personal friends and relatives to see, which happened to leak to the press, it wouldn't bother me much. Sure, a lot of the things may seem expensive or extravagant to me, but for all I know, that's the norm in her social circle.
~Lynn2000

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
first of all, holy bad plastic surgery, batman!

And secondly - this woman doesn't have enough $$ from her career to pay for her own baby things/she wants FANS to buy them for her? Um, no. I certainly hope no one is taking her seriously. :o
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
Took a quick look at her assistant's Twitter, which is where all this is coming from. It sounds like fans were tweeting her, wanting to send gifts, so she told them about the registry (which presumably was originally made with Lil Kim's wealthy friends in mind). The assistant probably should have contacted these fans privately, or possibly just ignored the requests. But it does seem that the info was solicited, and also that the assistant is taking a lot of heat for the etiquette breach on Twitter. And I don't see a lot of indication that Lil Kim was behind it herself. The headline seems a little misleading and sensationalistic.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Took a quick look at her assistant's Twitter, which is where all this is coming from. It sounds like fans were tweeting her, wanting to send gifts, so she told them about the registry (which presumably was originally made with Lil Kim's wealthy friends in mind). The assistant probably should have contacted these fans privately, or possibly just ignored the requests. But it does seem that the info was solicited, and also that the assistant is taking a lot of heat for the etiquette breach on Twitter. And I don't see a lot of indication that Lil Kim was behind it herself. The headline seems a little misleading and sensationalistic.

Lil Kim could have asked her fans to donate to a charity rather than giving the gift list.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 11:28:46 PM »

Lil Kim could have asked her fans to donate to a charity rather than giving the gift list.

Sure, but she's not obligated to. There's no etiquette rule that says once you have reached a certain level of wealth you are obligated to redirect gifts to charity.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

purple

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »

Sure, but she's not obligated to. There's no etiquette rule that says once you have reached a certain level of wealth you are obligated to redirect gifts to charity.

I so much agree with Maria here.  I see this as no different from anybody asking anybody else for registry information and being given the information.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »
Further down in the article, it does say that Lil Kim re-tweeted the registry info, not sure if that changes things.

Lynn2000

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »

I so much agree with Maria here.  I see this as no different from anybody asking anybody else for registry information and being given the information.

The thing that seems different to me is that the people asking for registry info aren't friends or family, they're total strangers who happen to be fans of hers. If a total stranger heard you were getting married and asked for your registry info on the street, is it rude to give it to them? Honestly for most people that situation is so weird that they probably wouldn't be thinking, "Am I rude/gift-grabby to tell her?" They'd probably be wondering if this was someone they ought to know but have forgotten, like their third-grade teacher, or backing away slowly from the crazy, or something like that.

For a celebrity, who is used to having interactions with total strangers who are fans, I do think there are some different rules about what's polite and what isn't. Even if the fans asked first, to me giving the info to total strangers is tacky, especially on a public medium like Twitter. That's telling the people who asked, as well as the rest of the world who didn't. If it was a private email exchange to an individual fan, and the fan then leaked it, I wouldn't think that was necessarily on Lil' Kim/the assistant (though perhaps not unpredictable). Just because someone asks for info, doesn't mean you have to tell them.
~Lynn2000

Carotte

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »

I do agree that no one is obligated to forgo gifts in favor of a charity but I also think there's a wealth threshold where you don't need people to gift you the big tickets items like a stroller, there's more meaningfull gifts to be had like a favorite baby book, cute art for the nursery or even outfits if you want to welcome the baby/honor the mother.

And in this instance, "fans/strangers" asking to give gifts, it would have been better PR to direct them to charities and organisations supporting babies and mothers. She already has her friends and family for the gifts.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

I do agree that no one is obligated to forgo gifts in favor of a charity but I also think there's a wealth threshold where you don't need people to gift you the big tickets items like a stroller, there's more meaningfull gifts to be had like a favorite baby book, cute art for the nursery or even outfits if you want to welcome the baby/honor the mother.

And in this instance, "fans/strangers" asking to give gifts, it would have been better PR to direct them to charities and organisations supporting babies and mothers. She already has her friends and family for the gifts.

I very much dislike the tendency for people to correlate gift giving with needs. It opens the door for people who need a lot of things to use that excuse as justification for gimme pig behavior. There is no wealth threshold where it becomes acceptable to tell other people what they should do with their money. Just because Lil Kim can afford all the big ticket items does not mean that she is obligated to deflect people's generosity.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson