Author Topic: Lil Kim's registry  (Read 2331 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Lil Kim's registry
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »

Sure, but she's not obligated to. There's no etiquette rule that says once you have reached a certain level of wealth you are obligated to redirect gifts to charity.

I do agree that no one is obligated to forgo gifts in favor of a charity but I also think there's a wealth threshold where you don't need people to gift you the big tickets items like a stroller, there's more meaningful gifts to be had like a favorite baby book, cute art for the nursery or even outfits if you want to welcome the baby/honor the mother.

She already has her friends and family for the gifts.

I very much dislike the tendency for people to correlate gift giving with needs. It opens the door for people who need a lot of things to use that excuse as justification for gimme pig behavior. There is no wealth threshold where it becomes acceptable to tell other people what they should do with their money. Just because Lil Kim can afford all the big ticket items does not mean that she is obligated to deflect people's generosity.

I agree! In fact, I don't think gift-giving is supposed to be about what people need. It's supposed to be about sending a message that says, "I care about you."

Sure, giving people stuff they need can be a powerful message: "I know about your life, and am demonstrating that by showing that I know what you need."  Or, "I want to make your life easier, so I'm giving you something you need."
  And of course, it's far more likely that your gift will be hanging around longer, reminding them of you.

But you don't give people gifts because they need the stuff inside the box.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
I actually totally agree. I confess that I start to grit my teeth whenever a baby shower thread begins with, "Money is tight for the MTB and I know she can't afford to buy much for the baby, so that's why I offered to throw the shower for her..." It is great to give to people in need if you want, but I dislike it being dressed up as a party where the host invites other people to give to someone in need. It gets into stuff about personal choices and social pressure and so forth.

That being said, my issue here is not that a (presumably) wealthy person is asking people to give her baby things; I think that is perfectly fine if it's her friends and family who have been invited to a baby shower for her, and they have asked about the registry and been answered. Even registry information in the baby shower invitation doesn't bother me much, since that's the point of a baby shower.

What bothers me is making the registry public knowledge to fans, thus encouraging them to buy her stuff. I think it's tacky to advertise your wish list to strangers, especially people like fans who are already inclined to buy stuff related to you. Of course no one is making anyone part with their money, but actively giving them the info about personal gifts is, I think, tasteless and in some ways taking advantage of fans' generosity and goodwill. She doesn't have to redirect them to a charity, but she (or rather, her assistant, who is nonetheless her representative even when she screws up) should have said "thanks but no thanks" instead, IMO.
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 03:03:22 PM »
Yeah, i think it's always bad etiquette to confuse the spheres.
This idea shows up a lot--the military punishes officers for fraternizing with enlisted men.
Bosses aren't supposed to date subordinates.
Salesmen aren't honorable when they use social tactics to pressure customers.
Customers aren't supposed to eat substandard food because they don't want to insult the waitress or the restaurant personnel.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
Gosh, let me run right out...

You just know that Lil Kim will personally send you a thank you note, right? 
Well, I'm sure her assistant will.
Umm, they'll publicly thank me at an awards show?
So, you really think they would take my gift and, at best, I'd get a form letter? 

Anyone want an Adidas Size 0-3 months purple track suit?

Formerly Mrs.Bart

lollylegs

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »
I very much dislike the tendency for people to correlate gift giving with needs. It opens the door for people who need a lot of things to use that excuse as justification for gimme pig behavior. There is no wealth threshold where it becomes acceptable to tell other people what they should do with their money. Just because Lil Kim can afford all the big ticket items does not mean that she is obligated to deflect people's generosity.

This x 1000! In fact, some of the worst gimme pig behaviour I've ever seen has been when I've been chastised for going off-registry because, "I/the MTB needs a baby monitor, not wooden blocks!"

That said, and it pains me to say this because I do love Lil Kim, but I think that including expensive, big tickets items is a little tacky (but not rude), simply because she doesn't personally know the gift givers.