General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Granny F at the Wedding

(1/2) > >>

FizzyChip:
I was having a look at the older posts in the archives and came across this one:

Definitely, my most memorable wedding-reception moment came several years ago.  I was at my cousin's very high-class, about 150 guest, church wedding.  Being that cousin "G" and his now-wife "L" are conservative people -- L being from a strict Dutch-Reformed family and G from a Reformed family -- this really was a family-oriented evening wedding with the reception immediately following, in the church's banquet hall (and you'd never guess it was a church banquet hall, either; so absolutely gorgeous).   

Well, because G and L had virtually all their family members and quite a few close friends present, that meant "Granny F" was there.  (Granny F is the groom's grandma.)  This was not a buffet, mind you, the caterer had waiters and waitresses serving and tending to the guests.  And after dinner, as one young lady in a black and white uniform was carrying away stacks of plates in a small plastic bin, Granny F caught sight of something beige and leavened on one of those plates.  Being that she is quite the cheapskate, Granny F just couldn't put aside her cheapness for ONE night, at her grandson's long-awaited wedding reception, a classy affair, at that, to let one of those rolls that she didn't even have to pay for go to waste.  So what does she do?  Granny F stops the girl carrying the dirty dishes back to the kitchen -- and asks her if she could take those leftover, uneaten and partially eaten rolls off of other people's plates!!!! 

Let's just say, Granny F made a killing in rolls off dirty plates.  She was seen, after the incident, proudly hoarding her rolls as best she could.  To this day, G's family has never let it die -- it quickly becomes the topic whenever we reminisce about G & L's wedding.  Always good for a few laughs!!   

PlainTacky0110-07
http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/tacky/etacky2007-1arc.shtml

You know, when I read this, and while I agree that under the circumstances it IS kind of both funny and tacky, I couldn't help think that "Granny F" was probably from the depression or war era when food was scarce & I quite understand her not wanting to see (as my Gran would say) good food go to waste.  This post actally made me quite nostalgic for my own grandparents who have now sadly passed.

Mental Magpie:
I get that it's tacky, but what I think is worse is that no one else will let it go.  If that's really all they talk about when the wedding comes up, they must have not had a good time at the reception.  To let that overshadow everything else is just sad to me.

Ohjustlovely:
The staff could have promise to save the rolls,from the kitchen, away from view. People do that: either want to give the leftovers to some people (themselves, someone at home, or to their pets (dog, goat, horse, depending on what food). Or to put into a compost perhaps.

There are many people who do this.

But reclaiming food in front of everyone is not very classy.

Talking about it, and rehashing about it, really poor behavior.

cicero:

--- Quote from: FizzyChip on May 15, 2014, 11:21:11 PM ---Granny F stops the girl carrying the dirty dishes back to the kitchen -- and asks her if she could take those leftover, uneaten and partially eaten rolls off of other people's plates!!!! 

Let's just say, Granny F made a killing in rolls off dirty plates.  She was seen, after the incident, proudly hoarding her rolls as best she could.  To this day, G's family has never let it die -- it quickly becomes the topic whenever we reminisce about G & L's wedding.  Always good for a few laughs!!   

PlainTacky0110-07
http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/tacky/etacky2007-1arc.shtml

You know, when I read this, and while I agree that under the circumstances it IS kind of both funny and tacky, I couldn't help think that "Granny F" was probably from the depression or war era when food was scarce & I quite understand her not wanting to see (as my Gran would say) good food go to waste.  This post actally made me quite nostalgic for my own grandparents who have now sadly passed.

--- End quote ---
I don't this is funny at all. I think that if a grandmother was collecting *eaten* rolls, and rolls that were *touched* or rested on someone's plate, then maybe something is a bit off with her.

laughtermed:
If "Granny" is very old, the roll hoarding could be a sign of dementia. I can't say what would be worse:

a. Granny demands the waiter for all the uneaten rolls in front of the guests or
b. leaves the reception, and forages through the dumpster in the parking lot for the rolls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version