Author Topic: Summer Attire  (Read 2878 times)

magicdomino

Re: Summer Attire
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
May we discuss summer trousers for a moment?  Mainly because my closet is looking skimpy right now. 

For years, I got elastic waist cotton knit pants from Lands End.  But pairs bought in the last few years have been . . . weird.  They fit funny, start off way too big, then shrink until they look like leggings on my sturdy peasant calves.  My all time favorite pants were cotton/polyester/supplex from a travel clothing company:  lightweight, could be hand-washed in a sink, and the elastic waistband was forgiving.  Alas, they were purchased 14 years ago, and the last time I bought pants from that company, one pair was too big, and the other was too small.  Guess I should have been suspcious when the catalog didn't have a size chart.   :P  L.L. Bean has elastic waist cotton knits in different styles, but some of the comments on-line are similar to ones on Lands End, thin fabric that shrinks.  I'll probably try a pair anyhow in ever-useful black.  I'd really like a couple of pairs in more summery colors, especially light blue or light green.  Has anyone seen such a thing in XL Petite, or am I hunting unicorns?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
I saw a lady wearing a cute tan broomstick skirt and decided I will get a few for summer.

I love this one. Especially the navy or red. http://tinyurl.com/qg93ezs

This one too. http://tinyurl.com/p8zqgj2

So many of the skirts in fashion now are sheer and I refuse to add the warmth of a slip this time of year.

Magicdomino, you might try these to see if they would work for you. http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/womens/womens-pants/45022.aspx

Carotte

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
May we discuss summer trousers for a moment?  Mainly because my closet is looking skimpy right now. 

For years, I got elastic waist cotton knit pants from Lands End.  But pairs bought in the last few years have been . . . weird.  They fit funny, start off way too big, then shrink until they look like leggings on my sturdy peasant calves.  My all time favorite pants were cotton/polyester/supplex from a travel clothing company:  lightweight, could be hand-washed in a sink, and the elastic waistband was forgiving.  Alas, they were purchased 14 years ago, and the last time I bought pants from that company, one pair was too big, and the other was too small.  Guess I should have been suspcious when the catalog didn't have a size chart.   :P  L.L. Bean has elastic waist cotton knits in different styles, but some of the comments on-line are similar to ones on Lands End, thin fabric that shrinks.  I'll probably try a pair anyhow in ever-useful black.  I'd really like a couple of pairs in more summery colors, especially light blue or light green.  Has anyone seen such a thing in XL Petite, or am I hunting unicorns?

Do you have a Zara nearby? I saw a few basic pants with elastic waists the last time I was in one. I don't know how the price would compare to something like Lands end or LLbean,.
I don't have much from them (out of my price range)  but usually I've been hapy with the fabric and how the garnment olds up.

daen

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »
I tend to the cold side, for the most part, so my summer wear has historically been a nice solid-color cotton T and long pants. The difference is that in summer I wear sandals instead of jeans and running shoes.

However, last summer was spent a few hundred miles south of where I live, and I was finally warm. More than warm, hot. I discovered the joys of cotton or rayon short sleeved or sleeveless blouses, light flowy skirts or cotton shorts, and sandals.

Now that I'm back, I still prefer the button-front cotton blouses (although I've added one or two long-sleeved specimens) and I wear the flowy skirts more than I used to. As I'm somewhat busty, I choose blouses that I need only unbutton the top button to remove, and then I handstitch the button band shut through the critical area, so there's no chance of gaping. I still wear dress pants to work, but I suspect I'll be wearing skirts to work at least once in a while.

I'm fortunate in that I can usually find something that fits me properly - I do a lot of consignment-store and thrift-shopping. I wouldn't know what brands to recommend to anyone, because my wardrobe is a mix of this and that, and it's a minor miracle if I have more than two items of the same brand.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 06:57:18 PM »
As I'm somewhat busty, I choose blouses that I need only unbutton the top button to remove, and then I handstitch the button band shut through the critical area, so there's no chance of gaping.

I'm fortunate in that I can usually find something that fits me properly - I do a lot of consignment-store and thrift-shopping. I wouldn't know what brands to recommend to anyone, because my wardrobe is a mix of this and that, and it's a minor miracle if I have more than two items of the same brand.

Such a great idea!!  I also do lots of second hand shopping so my brands are also who knows what. But now, instead of carefully placed safety pins on my random and vintage clothing, I am going to do your trick of stitch and sew with only the top button to button for easy on and off, and even better coverage and security for the chestal region!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.