Author Topic: Summer Attire  (Read 2971 times)

Please pass the Calgon

Re: Summer Attire
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »

I started wearing pettipants again to combat chafing.  http://www.amazon.com/007Lingerie-Classic-Soft-Cotton-Pettipants/dp/B001B6ECYM

Oh my gosh, thank you!!! I've been searching for something like these but had no idea what to call them. Just ordered all the colors :)

Library Dragon

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 10:28:14 PM »

I started wearing pettipants again to combat chafing.  http://www.amazon.com/007Lingerie-Classic-Soft-Cotton-Pettipants/dp/B001B6ECYM

Oh my gosh, thank you!!! I've been searching for something like these but had no idea what to call them. Just ordered all the colors :)

You're welcome.

For those wanting to know length, the Land's End site categorizes dresses also by above knee, knee, and below knee.  I prefer below because the day I wear above knee length is always a day I have to crawl on the floor looking for books or dealing with computer wires.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 09:55:37 AM »

You're welcome.

For those wanting to know length, the Land's End site categorizes dresses also by above knee, knee, and below knee.  I prefer below because the day I wear above knee length is always a day I have to crawl on the floor looking for books or dealing with computer wires.

And that is why when I worked for the church, I wore trousers and turtlenecks every day.  Even in summer.  Lots and chasing computer wires.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »

I don't like dresses. I love they way they look. However, my measurements are really strange - extremely short-waisted, broad chested and narrow shoulders. It makes finding a dress (or a button-down shirt) really difficult. Once in a while, I will find one that fits OK.

Are you me? I have the same problem. I have found that peasant top styles work best for me. The gathered neckline can hold all the fabric I need to go over my vast tracks of land...

I have the opposite issue in that i am very long waisted. whcih means the waistline of a dress on someone else is at their waist, and on me, just under my boobs. so very frustrating. whcih is why i love faux wrap, and empire waists. i do have a couple with "seams" designed to be at the waist, that ride a little high on me, but as its not a true waistband, its not that big a deal.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
I just bought an Indian rayon dress for summer- I wore it out to dinner  that night and got loads of compliments. I also have a very old linen that may have to be retired. *sobs* I'll just have to make a new one. 
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 02:50:49 PM »
I can't believe I neglected to put Dress Barn in my places to ship list.    :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

BeagleMommy

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 03:29:43 PM »
I love dresses year round.  Lands End, JCPenney, and Macy's are where I find most.  I love White House/Black Market, but I can't afford their stuff.  I'm so tempted to order from ModCloth.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 03:31:08 PM »
I love dresses year round.  Lands End, JCPenney, and Macy's are where I find most.  I love White House/Black Market, but I can't afford their stuff.  I'm so tempted to order from ModCloth.

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it :D

mathchick

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »
I want to know where one can find skirts of reasonable length (the longer the better) with pockets.

Also, what fabrics are cool for summer?  I know cotton and linen are, but is rayon cool, or is it a polyester that will be sticky, clingy and unbreathable?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »
I want to know where one can find skirts of reasonable length (the longer the better) with pockets.

Also, what fabrics are cool for summer?  I know cotton and linen are, but is rayon cool, or is it a polyester that will be sticky, clingy and unbreathable?

Almost all the dresses I have are a polyester or polyester blend.  I find them cool and love that they don't wrinkle.

I love cotton stuff, but honestly could do without linen and rayon products.  Linen wrinkles too much. Rayon is supposed to be light weight and cool, but it's one of the few materials I sweat in and my sweat turns funky/stinky while wearing it (I don't know if it's the material or dye).  Also, because of rayon's thinness and the way it drapes, I find it accentuates every lump, bump, and roll I don't want noticed.

As for finding skirts with pockets, hit the mall and start at one end and go to the other.  I've seen maxi skirts with pockets just about everywhere (I'm just too short to wear them  :P).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

LadyL

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »

Right now "midi skirts" are trendy, they usually hit below the knee/mid calf. ASOS.com has a good selection.

The upside of non-natural fabrics is they don't show sweat like cotton does. But they also don't breathe usually. I like jersey knit for dresses, it's super soft and very breathable.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »

CJ Banks website has several skirts like that. Also, LL Bean.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
I wear a lot of linen. If you run it through the washer and dryer enough times, it gets extremely soft, and doesn't wrinkle or need ironing any more.

ETA that I'm talking about normal wear and washing/drying over about a year. In the meantime, you either have to iron or not care.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 01:42:44 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
I am short (5"1') so some tunic tops for me become cute short dresses.  I will add a fitted/legging/short for jsut in case. 
:)

T-shirt dresses are my go-to summer outfit.  basically, it is a cotton t-shirt, jsut really long, to the knees, or a bit below. 
I add a flowy scarf, or a scarf vesty jacket, or a nice pin or  statement necklace, and I am good to go. 

I make sure my shoes are "nice" and carry a nice purse, and dangly earrings a fun bracelet can add to the look.

Once I am home again, all the extra stuff comes off, and it looks like I am ready for bed. 

There is one black t-shirt dress dress (has a tie at the neck, jsut decorative) that a friend brought me in the hospital after gallbladder surgery in 1998.  I still have it, and still get compliments!

All it is is a super long crew neck t-shirt that goes to my ankles, with slits up the calves.   I add scarves, or nothing. 

it is basically indestructible.

http://www.headtotoeclothing.com/clothing/liliana-sustainable-long-t-shirt-dress

This is kind of what I live in for summer.

I have several colors, even prints and stripes. 
so easy!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
I find rayon pretty warm for summer. For me, it's cotton, linen or forget it. Polyester is a heat trap and silk gets ruined when I sweat all over it. I don't buy expensive summer clothes- cotton tops and skirts are a go-to.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls