Author Topic: Joan Rivers still making jokes about Ariel Castro hostage victims  (Read 6223 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Joan Rivers still making jokes about Ariel Castro hostage victims
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
New story about how she walked out of an interview on CNN. The interviewer *may* be trying to challenge her, but this is yet another(!) example of how she can dish it but she can't take it.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 10:00:01 AM »
It's yet another example that she's excellent at getting publicity. Everyone's talking about it, after all. She knows her job.

demarco

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
It's yet another example that she's excellent at getting publicity. Everyone's talking about it, after all. She knows her job.

Yup. She's got a new book out. 

poundcake

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:30 AM »
Doesn't mean she'll actually sell more books as a result. She's a ghoul.

MrTango

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »

Actually, it pretty much ensures that she'll sell more books.  There may be a few people that were planning on buying her book who will change their mind about it because of her recent behavior, but there are far more people out there who wouldn't have even thought about her book (or wouldn't have known she had a book coming out) who will now buy a copy because, "hey, it's a trainwreck."

Publicists and agents know how the market works, and I have no doubt they understand that negative attention is far better than no attention when it comes to marketing a book.

poundcake

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »

Actually, it pretty much ensures that she'll sell more books.  There may be a few people that were planning on buying her book who will change their mind about it because of her recent behavior, but there are far more people out there who wouldn't have even thought about her book (or wouldn't have known she had a book coming out) who will now buy a copy because, "hey, it's a trainwreck."

Publicists and agents know how the market works, and I have no doubt they understand that negative attention is far better than no attention when it comes to marketing a book.

Not usually. It's a gamble. Controversy may sell something like the Fifty Shades books. But generally speaking, as several of my friends in publishing have found out, while people may pick up, flip through, or read bits of a controversial book, getting them to actually spend twenty bucks on a hardcover of it is unlikely. Or, if sales are initially brisk, the book may taper off quickly and it quickly ends up in the remainder pile. (I used to see this a lot when I was working in a bigbox bookstore myself.) This is especially the case when it is a less-popular public figure.

On the other hand, the Kardashians, Sarah Palin, and Adam Carolla are bestselling authors, so who knows what will happen with evil Joan's book?

lollylegs

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »

Not usually. It's a gamble. Controversy may sell something like the Fifty Shades books. But generally speaking, as several of my friends in publishing have found out, while people may pick up, flip through, or read bits of a controversial book, getting them to actually spend twenty bucks on a hardcover of it is unlikely. Or, if sales are initially brisk, the book may taper off quickly and it quickly ends up in the remainder pile. (I used to see this a lot when I was working in a bigbox bookstore myself.) This is especially the case when it is a less-popular public figure.

On the other hand, the Kardashians, Sarah Palin, and Adam Carolla are bestselling authors, so who knows what will happen with evil Joan's book?

Yes, it might be different if she were flogging a movie or TV show, people might tune into that to 'watch the car crash', but getting people to drop actual money on a book these days isn't easy, and this type of controversy (i.e. the negative, nasty type, as opposed to the 'oh isn't it naughty!' 50 Shades type of controversy) is more likely to turn readers away.

Aquamarine

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
She is one of those people who will say something ghastly and should anyone complain will say "can't you take a joke"?  A joke is supposed to be funny, a comment about women held as slaves is not.  There is a difference between a statement with a "clever twist" and a joke.  I don't think she understands the difference very well.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 01:26:03 AM »
South African media's in a bit of a tizz after she made several Reeva Steenkamp jokes.

http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/Joan-Rivers-shocks-with-sickening-Reeva-Steenkamp-joke-on-Fashion-Police-TV-show-20140722
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 03:00:40 AM »
That's disgusting. >:(
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
I think it says something about Joan Rivers that I'm not even surprised anymore when she does things like this. She's trying to shock people into thinking she's "edgy" and "hip", but frankly, I don't know why her co-hosts on Fashion Police don't just verbally rip into her every time she makes a nasty remark.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
South African media's in a bit of a tizz after she made several Reeva Steenkamp jokes.

http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/Joan-Rivers-shocks-with-sickening-Reeva-Steenkamp-joke-on-Fashion-Police-TV-show-20140722

That's even worse than the Castro remark.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »
Bless her heart,  >:D she's obviously forgetting her ginkgo balboa and memory meds... ::)

Sheesh....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Marga

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 02:11:06 AM »

That's even worse than the Castro remark.

What the heck? That's obnoxious.