Author Topic: Model competes for the most inappropriate funeral attire award.  (Read 4282 times)

missmolly

Apologies to all non-Australian e-hellions; here's the gist:

Tom Hafey was an Australian sports legend who died recently, and a funeral was held for him at one of Melbourne's biggest sporting grounds. Geoffrey Edelsten, a billionaire not known for good taste, propriety or picking partners with good taste, brought a date wearing this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/shes-wearing-that-to-a-funeral-geoffrey-edelsten-steps-out-with-busty-brynne-lookalike/story-fni0cvc9-1226923053245
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Marga

Re: Model competes for the most inappropriate funeral attire award.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:31:45 AM »
At least it's black, and a dress. But apart from that  :o

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:58 AM »
To quote James Bond: "My, thats a cute little nothing you're almost wearing".
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:21:52 AM »
It sort of looks like she was wearing that to get attention. It is possible he wants attention too (from the media, public, etc.) and that's why he brought her.

Either that or he has found his soulmate - someone with the same bad taste in clothing as he has. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

RubyCat

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
I dunno, maybe Tom Hafey would've liked it. Like Marga said, at least it's black. Definitely not what I would wear but I've seen people showing up looking worse. Just wondering, isn't it cold in Australia this time of year?

LeveeWoman

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
I'd hate to see the other entries for the most inappropriate funeral attire award!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »
I think it's disrespectful to show up to a funeral in anything that screams "Look at meee!!". I pretty much instantly dislike a person who can't give up the spotlight for a couple of hours, especially when doing so would be out of respect for someone else (or their family). Don't get me wrong, there are a million women who could wear that dress appropriately and I wouldn't think a thing about it. But not to a funeral.

BarensMom

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »
It makes me think of an episode of "Third Rock from the Sun," where Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character brings a date to "this thing for a guy."

123sandy

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
I don't know who she is. Maybe this is conservative, for her? The thing that screams out to me is how uncomfortable her feet look in those shoes! Her poor toes, yikes!!

tinkytinky

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:58:21 PM »
Maybe I'm a little out of it.....but I can't get over the fact that he brought a date to a funeral. I guess, if she knew the person....

makes me think it was one of these: "Hey, lets go to this really fun thing! we can spend all afternoon there! But first I have to stop by my friend's place. I have some business to attend to and it can't be rescheduled." and she's thinking "OK, Cool! The business stuff won't last long and then we can be on to our super cool fun activity of the day!" :o

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
Then again, I don't know that many 16 year olds who know how to dress for a funeral...whoops! She's 24? And ostensibly in the fashion industry? She should at least have someone on speed-dial who knows better.

Saddest part is, she will not get much name recognition out of this (which is why I assume she's doing it.) She'll just be "that tacky girl". Not what I would think you'd want as a model.
                www.ellenseltz.com

Texas Mom

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
Not what I would think you'd want as a model.

It depends on what kind of modeling work she's looking for.  She's too busty for fashion modeling.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
I could see bringing a "date" as in moral support to get you through the grief. I am trying to believe that is her purpose in attending.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 07:25:40 PM »
I dunno, maybe Tom Hafey would've liked it. Like Marga said, at least it's black. Definitely not what I would wear but I've seen people showing up looking worse. Just wondering, isn't it cold in Australia this time of year?
Actually we're going through a warm wave right now. It was about 70F on the day of the funeral.

Remember also, that  Melbourne has a very temperate climate. We never get as cold as N. America. 

Victoria