Author Topic: Holidays by yourself  (Read 5875 times)

gellchom

Re: Holidays by yourself
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
The only flaw in the "do volunteer work" plan is that places such as soup kitchens can become overwhelmed with volunteers on holidays and either have to create busy work for them or turn them away.

That is true.  I wasn't thinking of volunteering for holiday-related stuff, for which you are right, they have plenty of volunteers on holidays.  A much better choice is doing ordinary work like answering the phone, delivering meals, or emptying trash at a hospital, animal shelter, nursing home, fire house, or other social service or public agency that must stay open on holidays, so that more of their employees can have the holiday off.  Jewish organizations often do this at Christmas.  It's fun.

But it doesn't even have to be volunteer work.  It works just as well to think of someone who might be alone or unable to make a nice holiday that you could visit or host or take out for a treat or even just bring flowers or something you bake, or a child who adores you who would be thrilled to be invited to fly a kite or play a game with you.  Or you can bake cookies to give to all your favorite storekeepers, librarians, and so forth.  Or send flowers anonymously to nice people who deserve it.  Or write nice letters to people who aren't expecting them.  Delighting someone always cheers you up, don't you think?

chocolatemoose

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »
I've had to work on many holidays. I'm at the point where if I have the holiday off I'd rather stay home by myself. Like some of the other posters have mentioned I usually buy something unusual or expensive to cook and I watch a movie.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 03:56:02 AM »
I have to work every other holiday. We alternate years which means I have for example, Thanksgiving off one year and work the next.

I am divorced with 2 adult daughters, a son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren. I gave up on Thanksgiving and actually volunteer to work it. When I had it off, I used to spend days preparing and then have my family show up already full as they felt they had to stop at their Dad's/grandparents, before coming here. It works out better for everyone as I don't have to do the work, and they don't have to feel guilty about trying to hit up everyone's house.

I have to work this year until midnight Christmas eve, but have Christmas day off this year. Not sure when the family will get together though as it may be 2 days after Christmas. We'll see.

My schedule is Sunday through Thursday, so I haven't had Easter off in years.

Luckily, my family is accommodating as my younger daughter works retail, my older works for a utility that is 24/7, and my sister works for a hotel. So, none of us has a regular 8-5 Monday through Friday job.

As long as the family can gather somewhere near the holiday, then I am happy and so are they.

Jocelyn

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:21 PM »
I used to do Christmas on-call every year- it was never busy, and all my co-workers appreciated it.
I always selected a big project, and a cuisine. For example, one year I re-finished furniture, and cooked an Italian feast. Another year it was a video film festival, and Chinese.
Don't even turn on the TV to any channel that might be doing holiday programming.
If you're religious, attend worship in a place you wouldn't ordinarily go. The Christmas I spent in a monastery is a treasured memory.

JoW

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
Don't try to duplicate the family holiday all alone.  You'll be miserable.  And don't watch the Family Family Family stuff on tv.  It will just drag you down.  My DVR is usually nearly full.  I spend most holidays watching whatever geeky science stuff I recorded. 

One way to volunteer before Christmas is to ring for the Salvation Army.  I started doing that a couple years after DH died.  Now I ring 4-6 hours on Black Friday, then every Saturday until Christmas, and Christmas Eve.  I even have a Santa hat for cold days and a reindeer antlers head band for warmer days.  And I have lots  of sweet stories about the donors.  It makes my feet hurt but it makes my brain feel good. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:27:28 PM by JoW »

blueyzca01

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 05:49:16 PM »
I think I wrote about this before, but one of my most favorite Thanksgivings was in 2005.  Youngest Sis was still married to a creep so I didnít want to go to her house, other Sis lives in Texas (Iím in Southern CA), and Mom and Dad live in Oregon. I had just started a new job after being unemployed for a while, so the bank account was a little low and I couldnít afford flights anywhere.

For dinner, I made the greatest BLT evah!  Applewood smoked bacon, heirloom tomatoes, and perfect romaine.  I splurged on a decent bottle of champagne, ate my sandwich, and then spend 2 hours on the phone with my parents. 

So I got to spend the holiday with 2 of my favorite people, and didnít have to deal with the airport.  Win!
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.