Wedding Bliss and Blues > Paper Trail

A nice thank you note for a present chosen from the registry

(1/7) > >>

gellchom:
In another string, the subject came up of the challenge of writing a thank you note expressing enthusiasm about a gift chosen from a registry -- i.e., that the recipients selected themselves.  It sounds funny to thank someone for the "lovely widget" when it's your own taste in widgets at issue.  I received a very good one today, so I thought I'd share it.

The groom and my son were close friends in middle and high school.  My son and his wife couldn't make it in for the wedding, but we went anyway.

Dear Gell and Chom,

Thank you so much for the Mikasa place setting!  It was so generous and very thoughtful of you.  We can't wait to use it.  We were so glad you two could be there!  Thank you so much for being part of our special day!!  It would be great if we could get dinner soon. 

Love,
Petunia and Cuthbert

I liked this because they expressed enthusiasm and gratitude without complimenting their own taste.  I also think it's always good to say you were glad they could attend (or sorry that they couldn't) -- actually, I usually put that first, before writing about the gift.  That part and the last sentence about that it would be nice to get together are very good, because they talk about the giver and show that they value the relationship, not just the gift. 

And I like that they didn't end with "Thank you again."  That always strikes me as so lame, especially in a very short note; it adds absolutely nothing, and seems to mean "I can't think of a single other thing to say to you."

This is a very nice young couple, and we were very moved that he still feels close to us.

TootsNYC:
Thank you notes can be tough! Like you, I cut people a lot of slack (i.e., if their note is a little graceless, I still am happy to be thanked, and I still think well of them). But I do very much admire people who hit the ball out of the park! Like this couple did.

I have read sample thank-you notes in several books, and none of them ever mentioned the party itself. They all simply focus on the gift itself. I've always found that interesting.

I got a nice note for a place setting off the registry once--but that's because I was late (hit the 1-year mark) and bought the last thing still not fulfilled, the last place setting. So I got thanked for helping her complete it, along w/ a note that said, each time she used them she was sure to remember how happy she was to get the full set, and that I'd helped her achieve that.

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: gellchom on May 22, 2014, 12:16:59 AM ---
...   And I like that they didn't end with "Thank you again."  That always strikes me as so lame, especially in a very short note; it adds absolutely nothing, and seems to mean "I can't think of a single other thing to say to you."   ...

--- End quote ---

Hmmm ...

Actually, thank you for pointing that out.  I'm afraid I'm often quite guilty of doing that.  I'll start the note by thanking them for their gift, or for serving on my committee, or for picking up my mail, or for having us as guests for dinner, or whatever.  Then I'll move on and say more stuff that's relative to the situation. 

But then ~~  Yes, I think I really do almost always say "Thank you again" at the end. 

I had never thought about it before.  Guess I'm going to have to remember that and try to catch myself next time!    :-\

kareng57:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on May 22, 2014, 10:28:37 PM ---
...   And I like that they didn't end with "Thank you again."  That always strikes me as so lame, especially in a very short note; it adds absolutely nothing, and seems to mean "I can't think of a single other thing to say to you."   ...

--- End quote ---

Hmmm ...

Actually, thank you for pointing that out.  I'm afraid I'm often quite guilty of doing that.  I'll start the note by thanking them for their gift, or for serving on my committee, or for picking up my mail, or for having us as guests for dinner, or whatever.  Then I'll move on and say more stuff that's relative to the situation. 

But then ~~  Yes, I think I really do almost always say "Thank you again" at the end. 

I had never thought about it before.  Guess I'm going to have to remember that and try to catch myself next time!    :-\

--- End quote ---

Well, count me as guilty too.

I don't think that my TY notes, for any occasion, have been terribly short.  I've always tried to be pretty creative with them.  It's just always struck me that it's nice to say "thank you" again.

I've noticed a trend on this board lately to put TY notes under a microscope.  I really don't like this at all.

shhh its me:

--- Quote from: kareng57 on May 23, 2014, 12:12:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: gramma dishes on May 22, 2014, 10:28:37 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Hmmm ...

--- End quote ---

Well, count me as guilty too.

I don't think that my TY notes, for any occasion, have been terribly short.  I've always tried to be pretty creative with them.  It's just always struck me that it's nice to say "thank you" again.

I've noticed a trend on this board lately to put TY notes under a microscope.  I really don't like this at all.

--- End quote ---

POD
IMHO  using a complementary adjective or not  for something they chose is more a pet peeve then a right or wrong. 
I don't think I'd even all it less then optimal.  Ditto for "thanks again"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version