News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 10:31:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A nice thank you note for a present chosen from the registry  (Read 9475 times)

stargazer

Re: A nice thank you note for a present chosen from the registry
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »
1/15 of something

Well, I was thinking of 6 parts, not 15. Back, seat, arm, arm, 2 cushions. I think everyone took it as the metaphorical thing that it was. I don't think any of them thought I literally meant that we'd pay for the left arm of the sofa with their $200. (And our sleeper sofa was about $1,000.)

Well of course no one took it literally.  But it just comes off as tacky to me - that you only paid for the arm of the sofa (or cushion, or whatever).  I just think it sounds a lot better to say that you put it towards the sofa if you want to mention it at all.  But not a certain part.

gramma dishes

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 04:13:31 PM »
1/15 of something

Well, I was thinking of 6 parts, not 15. Back, seat, arm, arm, 2 cushions. I think everyone took it as the metaphorical thing that it was. I don't think any of them thought I literally meant that we'd pay for the left arm of the sofa with their $200. (And our sleeper sofa was about $1,000.)

Well of course no one took it literally.  But it just comes off as tacky to me - that you only paid for the arm of the sofa (or cushion, or whatever).  I just think it sounds a lot better to say that you put it towards the sofa if you want to mention it at all.  But not a certain part.

I think it's a "know your audience" thing.  Toots is comfortable that the recipients of her thank you notes got the humor intended and they apparently responded positively. Another group of gifters might not. 

I'm sure most of us know which of our friends and relatives would 'get it' and which ones might find it offensive.  I trust that Toots knew exactly what she was doing.

gellchom

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
Here's another nice one that came today.  The gift was something from the registry.

Chom & Gell,

Thank you very much for the salad bowls.  We can't wait to use our beautiful china!  We look forward to the holiday gatherings with our family and will think about all the people that contributed to making it possible.

With love,
Bride & Groom