Poll

If you had a day in LA, what would you do?

Go to Disneyland!
18 (34.6%)
Go to the beach
11 (21.2%)
Do nothing, relax at the hotel pool and in the room
3 (5.8%)
Whale watching excursion
9 (17.3%)
Something else, please post your suggestions
11 (21.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: First time traveler in Los Angeles  (Read 1386 times)

heartmug

Re: First time traveler in Los Angeles
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
The best thing we did in LA 5 years ago was go to The Getty Museum. It has the most amazing collection, and it's free! Though you do have to pay for the car park.

And you do have to have a reservation.  But it is an amazing place.  One of the best views of downtown is from Dodger Stadium, if you like sports.

I second the drive up the coast.  I would eat at Gladstone's.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Library Dragon

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
I too recommend the drive up the coast.  Grauman's Chinese Theater is probably the most memorable thing this Orange Countyite remembers from Los Angeles.

Disneyland's new sister parks have a great many attractions not at WDW.  What always stands out for me are the classics not at WDW.  I have very fond memories of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Pinocchio's Daring Journey Ride, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland Ride, and Scary Adventures of Snow White Ride are now only at Disneyland.  I prefer the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

tiff019

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »
I am adding a rental car. We are very used to driving everywhere and I was going to use public transportation and taxis for a change.

We might be able to extend the trip one more day.

This is very wise - public transportation isn't great in the greater LA area and taxis would add up quite quickly. LA is so sprawling, it often takes longer/farther to get somewhere than you might initially think!

Peppergirl

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
Traffic is horrendous, but you really can't do LA well without a rental car.  I'm glad you decided to get one..it would have limited you otherwise.

I'm a travel agent, so I know a bit, but I decided to do all the obnoxious touristy things when I was out there last July.  >:D  Hollywood tours, Santa Monica pier, etc.  We drank at Chateau Marmont, and ate at the Sunset Marquis, and drank again at Trader Vics. 

Side note:  I actually found out Ozzy Osborne was separated from Sharon and living at the Sunset Marquis right after I ate there. He and Black Sabbath are my favorite, so I was pretty floored. 

If you need any further tips, don't hesitate to PM me.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 04:06:29 AM »
i was in california once in my life - i was sick (picked up some horrible bladder infection) AND with my son and then-husband and it wasn't a fun trip.

But - if i were to ever go back there i would go to a taping of one of my fav shows, or a behind the scenes tour. I would also probably go to some nature thing because that is more my thing and i would go to some fancy shopping areas, look at the stars on the sidewalk, etc. Personally, if you have access to WDW, i would give disneyland a skip, but that's me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:39 AM »
We are going to go whale watching our arrival day. Our flights get in at 9 Am and the excursion leaves at 3 PM. I'm more excited about that than anything else.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 08:54:26 AM »
Oh and the ocean is freezing, at least it is further up the coast. I assume it is there too.

Victoria

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »
We are good at packing for travel, so I will bring lots of layering pieces. November should be chilly anyway.

Peregrine

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
I thought the La Brea tar pits was pretty interesting!  My hubby is a native of Southern California, and he was a little taken aback that I wanted to go see that particular attraction.....but he, and my parents in law all had to admit that they had updated the area quite nicely and that was a nice informative little tourist destination.  Plus, it got you down close to some of the fancy shopping areas and it was rather fun to stroll down Rodeo Drive.

Disneyland is OK....it can be enjoyable, but even on a weekday in late fall it can still be hugely crowded and just plain unpleasant.  I second the recommendation to try attending a taping of a favorite TV show.  I got attend a Jeopardy taping about 25 years ago, and thought it was a blast!  We had friends that did The Price is Right a couple of years ago and were thrilled...as well as a couple of friends who saw The Big Bang Theory taped. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 04:32:19 PM »
Am I the only one who sees the headline and thinks it's about time travel in LA, not a first time visitor to LA? :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Should I use the Tardis or Doc Brown's car?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Should I use the Tardis or Doc Brown's car?
The DeLorean. Of course. The way i see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with style?
 ;D

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
We have three DeLoreans in our area.  :D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 12:34:24 AM »
We have three DeLoreans in our area.  :D

Then you'll be wanting the TARDIS this time.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

SoCalVal

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 01:32:13 AM »
I'm an LA native, and I'd really have to think about what to suggest because it really depends upon what you're into.

Since you're into amusement parks, then Disneyland is really a good one to visit.  I really wasn't bowled over by Universal Studios the one time I went (and I was a theatre student who went with a bunch of my theatre student friends).  Knott's is okay.  Magic Mountain I've heard is really full of gangbangers these days (although I have to admit that I'm planning my first trip there in 20+ years to ride the Colossus one last time).  Even as an adult (with no children), I did greatly enjoy having a meal at Goofy's Kitchen since the characters always went there (and, frankly, I was on a kick for buffets with real mashed potatoes).  There's a restaurant in Disneyland in New Orleans Square that's a nice restaurant, but you need reservations.  I believe it's called "Blue Bayou."

I think I did whale-watching once or twice as a field trip or two for school and really wasn't into them.  You might want to incorporate a trip to Catalina since you'll be doing that.

If you plan on visiting the beach, Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach are cool (but I really loved Santa Monica before they created Third Street Promenade).

As some others have suggested, a studio tour could be fun.  If you really like Disney, seeing a movie at the El Capitan is pretty awesome as Disney owns it (and it's across the street from where they have all the hands and feet in cement).

Good on deciding to rent a car.  You really can't get around LA efficiently without one (and the public transportation can be quite nasty -- like smelling-full-of-urine nasty).

I love going to the museums so the Getty is good, as is LACMA (LA County Museum of Art).  Mind you, there are two Getty's -- one is off 405 and the other is in Pacific Palisades (I believe the Pacific Palisades one has antiquities).  My favorite is the Huntington Library and Museum in San Marino.

If you want to go to one of the touristy spots to eat, Jerry's Deli in Studio City was known as the place where a lot of the Hollywood power players met (I don't know if it still is).  Philippe's, as someone suggested, is good.  Olvera Street is close by and a fun cultural location (and some good Mexican food could be found).  Little Tokyo is also in the vicinity and is also pretty cool.