Wedding Bliss and Blues > Attire

Colors of clothing being dictacted for the guests?

(1/3) > >>

Suam461:
This is my first ever post! I've been lurking around this forum for a while (and learned a lot in the process) but haven't ever had a question of my own! So here goes...

Boyfriend and I are flying across the country in a week for a wedding reception for his best friend/old roommate. The happy couple were already married in a beautiful ceremony in another country with family and this is a reception for the US side of the family & friends.
I was just browsing their wedding website today because I'm super excited to go (and wanted to check out the awesome sounding menu again!) and I notice that they've added a new section called "dress code".

It asks for summer attire with the colors for ladies being pastels/metallics and for the gents to be khakis, greys and linens.
Here's the issue. I already have a dress and boyfriend already has a suit. I bought my dress specifically for this event as I wanted something fun and "beach-y". My dress is a royal blue jersey-knit maxi. I was planning on pairing it with some coral/pink jewelry to make it more summery. I was also very excited to find a maxi dress long enough for my tall frame! And boyfriend's suit is black. He literally owns one and when I mentioned the recently added dress code to him, he said "I'm not buying a new suit!"

So the question is, should I take this 'dress code' to mean they only want the colors mentioned? Or do you think the colors are just suggestions and I'm reading too far into it? I don't want to offend anyone and I've never run into this issue with any other wedding I've ever gone to, so I just wanted to get some outside opinions.
Thanks!

Zizi-K:
The outfits you have picked out sound lovely. I would treat this "wedding attire" section as a suggestion and go forward with what you have and own. I think this kind of "suggestion" way oversteps what a couple can rightly ask of a guest, and it treats the guest like a decoration rather than as an individual. I would feel free to ignore it.

sammycat:
I would ignore this "dress code" and wear the outfits your have already purchased.

kareng57:

--- Quote from: Zizi-K on May 23, 2014, 12:01:11 AM ---The outfits you have picked out sound lovely. I would treat this "wedding attire" section as a suggestion and go forward with what you have and own. I think this kind of "suggestion" way oversteps what a couple can rightly ask of a guest, and it treats the guest like a decoration rather than as an individual. I would feel free to ignore it.

--- End quote ---

I very much agree.  I too think that the OP's outfits sound fine.  Overall, I am very much against any kind of "dress code" that is going to cost many of the guests extra $$ (assuming of course that the majority of them own outfits other than jeans and T shirts).  It does make one wonder - are they guests, or are they window-dressing?

Millionaire Maria:
You are fine to wear what you've already purchased. Hosts are allowed to dictate formality, they are not allowed to dictate colors. Although, and I may be in the minority here, I do make exceptions for black and whites. And only because most people already own the type of clothes that are acceptable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version