Author Topic: Open Office  (Read 859 times)

SheltieMom

Open Office
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:18:35 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with Open Office? I'm about to buy a new computer, and I'm looking at the shelf with all the versions of Office I've bought through the years, and really don't want to pay for it again.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Open Office
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:47:51 AM »
Do you have a current version of Office? I.e office 2007 and up.  You can just install it on your new computer. No need to purchase a new copy.

OO is fine for word processing and spreadsheets.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:03 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with Open Office? I'm about to buy a new computer, and I'm looking at the shelf with all the versions of Office I've bought through the years, and really don't want to pay for it again.

I'm using Open Office because I'm fed up of paying for Office yet again. My last version was "computer specific" so I can't switch it to this computer. I use Google Documents for simple things and Open Office for larger documents. The occasional irritation that I have to look up how to do something is offset by its freeness.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »
EHell hates my tablet. This is my third attempt here.

I used OO about 5 years ago, and gave it up because I found the compatability with Word wasn't all that reliable when it came to formatting. Also, I found the attitudes on the support forum to be unhelpful and defensive. A statement of 'I need to do this' tended to be met with 'RTFM' or the equivalent for the forum, which had a very poor search function, or a dismissive suggestion that what you wanted was so unusual that it was hardly surprising that OO didn't do it. Any challenge to that was met with 'if you want Word, go back to Office'.

That was a long time ago, though, and OO is still here, so why not download it and see how you get on with it? Free is free, after all.

There's also LibreOffice which was an OO split, Google Documents if it suits you to work in the cloud, Kingsoft, which has the advantage of being cross-platform for Windows, iOS and Android, and Jarte. I've heard good things of that one, that it's odd to begin with because it doesn't look like a Word clone, but that it's actually really easy to use. I believe it's only a WP, though, not an office suite.

HappilyInsane

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 03:51:18 AM »
I've used it for quite a while for word and spreadsheets. It's very similar to Office and is Windows 8 compatible. Just an FYI, with Office they have changed things on Windows 8. Instead of buying the program and having it to use as long as you want, you pay something like $99 USD a year for it.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:09:29 AM »
Don't rule out older versions of Office, either - I'm running both Excel and Word 2000 on Windows 8 machines (mostly because I installed them before I was told they wouldn't run!). I did get a couple of errors on install (mostly to do with databases) and I can't vouch that absolutely all the higher end functions work properly, but for the basics, it's absolutely fine.

Having said that, I also run Open Office for compatibility issues (in one case, because I need to open docx/xlsx files; in the other because the computer has no CD drive) and while I don't actively like it (I far prefer Word 2000's look-and-feel), it's perfectly functional and with the added bonus that it doesn't require you to be online all the time like Google Docs does.

nayberry

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:35:01 AM »
use open office with no problems, any docs i've sent have been opened easily, esp by word users,  been a couple of years now

DaisyG

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
I've used Open Office and currently have Libre Office at home. I find it easy to use, some things are in different places than MS office but usually I can find what I need. I would go for Libre Office over Open Office as I think the formatting moves around less. Give it a try, you can save things in microsoft formats or OpenDocument format and Office2010 can open OpenDocument formatted documents which older versions couldn't.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:56:33 AM »
I run a law practice which is spreadsheet and nit picky formatting heavy - all with Google Drive and open office. 

SheltieMom

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
Thanks, everyone! I'll probably try it, although I may try to use one of my Office editions and see if I have any licenses left. I'm really frustrated because the new versions, both subscription (365) and regular purchase, do not include Publisher, which I use occasionally. To make it worse, I have a huge address book database on MS Works, which will not export to Access. I may have to keep this computer around just for those 2 things.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

nuit93

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
The biggest complaint I had with OO was that it would slow my laptop WAAAAAAAY down (when I had Windows XP).  I just upgraded the laptop and haven't reinstalled OO yet.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
I've been using OO for a couple years since I re-installed the OS on my laptop and couldn't find my MS Office disc, and it works great. I don't need to do all that much - just a little word processing and spreadsheets, and it works fine for me.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 07:15:55 AM »
I have a huge address book database on MS Works, which will not export to Access.

It may not be able to export directly into Access format, but you should be able to put it into CSV format, which Access in turn will take in.