Author Topic: vegetarian burgers?  (Read 673 times)

Nikko-chan

vegetarian burgers?
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:44:52 AM »
So. I am a meat eater. We usually have meat and potatoes every night. But I am sick of it. If I have to eat meat for one more dinner I believe I will go berserk. So ehellions. Do you have any good recipes for either chickpea or blackbean burgers? Something low cost but delicious? Help!

BigBadBetty

Re: vegetarian burgers?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
I really like these sweet potato black bean burgers. I like to top them with guacamole. My boyfriend likes them with guacamole and bacon.

http://www.thenakedkitchen.com/sweet-potato-quinoa-burgers/

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
1. chickpea patties - i like this recipe from the Shiksa in the Kitchen blog http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/05/spicy-panko-chickpea-patties-recipe/

2. lentil burger
I've posted these in the past. These are based on an old cookbook from the 80s called "the sainsbury book of vegetarian food" or something like that.

vegetarian patties /loaf
===================
please bear in mind that i am a 'little bit of this, little bit of that' type of cook.

take one cup of red lentils, pick over, wash, and let them soak while you prepare the rest of the recipe.

meanwhile: fry one onion in a small amount of oil (i grate the onion bec some people are such babies about onions...)
if your dd likes other vegetables you can add them to the onion (celery, mushroom, carrot).
let them fry for about 10 minutes, stirring occassionally, on med. flame. then add 2 cups of water, spices (black pepper, garlic, cumin, but no salt) and bring to a boil. add the lentils plus one grated sweet potato. bring to second boil , lower flame, and then cover and let it cook till most of the water is absorbed (takes about 20-30 minutes).  I add some instant oats or bread crumbs at this point. the mixture will turn a brownish-orange color. let it cool. at this point i usually refrigerate till the next day. the mixture should be stiff.

for patties: beat one egg in one bowl. pour about 1/2 cup of bread crumbs and 1/2 cup of cornmeal into another bowl (or just cornmeal or just bread crumbs). make patties, dip in egg then bread crumbs and then fry or bake on oiled pan till golden. you can freeze these.

for loaf: add one egg to mixture and turn into oiled bread pan, sprinkle cornmeal on top (optional), and  bake for about 40 -60 minutes till golden. slice. can also be frozen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Okay so I am thinking, I have ground coriander, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in the pantry... I need to use up the coriander especially. And we have onions... and I think we have some parsley we need to use up... my worry is that the burgers will come out mushy... how do I combat that?

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
So this is a burger made with quinoa rather than beans, but it is seriously the best vegetarian burger I have ever tasted. My DH hates both quinoa and zucchini, but he will eat these 4 at a time. I've made these for a picky-eater cousin who wouldn't normally touch something like this, and he raved about them and said they were "magical". Oh, and I make some spicy garlic aioli to go with them - makes them even better.

I do recommend "low and slow" cooking - cook on medium-low heat for several minutes per side. Gives the ingredients more time to set up. If you try to cook them too fast they fall apart.

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Okay so I made the burgers! I made chickpea burgers, and took oatmeal and ground it up to go in with it. I added an egg, some salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and some lemon juice. I also made a mix od green pepper onion and grated carrot to put into the burgers as well.  It kinda tasted like falafel.

I also made a cheap tzatziki to go on the burger :)

It was fantastic!

katycoo

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »
You can also really easily replace meat on a burger bu grilling a large field mushroom.  So tasty and less prep!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »
Portobello mushroom caps are nice, if you can find the right sort of recipe.

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:36 AM »
I made this recipe once and it turned out great.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/beef/greek-spinach-veggie-burgers/