Author Topic: Homemade Ice Cream  (Read 683 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Homemade Ice Cream
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:39:21 AM »
I've just invested in an ice cream maker, and am going ever so slightly nuts making different ice creams. It tastes awesome and is so much better than (most) store bought. I've managed to find a bunch of recipes online, but very few "tried and tested" ones, so I wondered if you had any good recipes to share?

Here are my three favourites so far:

Orange Ice Cream
3-4 egg yolks
60 g sugar
2 1/2 dl yogurt natural (~1 cup)
Juice from 1 orange (~1dl)
2 tsp orange zest
50 g dark chocolate, chopped
2 1/2 dl cream
2-3 egg whites

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and frothy. Add yogurt, orange juice, orange zest and chocolate.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Carefully mix it together with the orange-egg yolk mix
In another separate bowl, whip the egg whites. Carefully fold it into the cream.
Pour mixture into ice-cream maker and proceed according to machine instructions. I gave it about 45 minutes.
Transfer to freezer-proof tubs and freeze until completely solid.

If you don't have an ice-cream maker, put it in the freezer straight away, and stir regularly for the first 4 hours.

Strawberry Ice Cream
2 egg yolks
2dl milk
2.5dl cream (1 cup)
140g icing sugar
20g vanilla sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice
400-500g strawberries

Clean the strawberries and blend them together with milk and lemon juice.
In a separate bowl mix together egg yolks, sugar and vanilla.
In another bowl, whip the cream and carefully mix in the egg-mixture and the strawberries.
Pour into the ice cream maker and proceed according to the machine's instructions. I left mine for about 45 minutes.
Transfer to freezer tubs and freeze for another couple of hours until solid.

Raspberry Cheese Cake
100g cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups pureÚd, strained raspberries (~300-350g pre-pureÚd)
1 cup cream
1 cup milk

In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese until smooth; add sugar and continue whisking until combined. Whisk in raspberries, followed by milk until fully incorporated.
In a separate bowl, whisk cream. Fold into the berry-mix.
Pour mixture into ice-cream maker; proceed according to manufacturer instructions. I left mine for about 45 minutes.
Transfer to freezer tubs and freeze for another couple of hours until solid.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

bloo

Re: Homemade Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
I put two of my favorites in this thread:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=49363.0

The vanilla is rather versatile as I can add mix-ins. My very favorite is crushed Oreo cookies and mint extract when I have it.

My other favorite is coffee and I'll try digging up my old faithful for that!

Homemade ice cream is the best!

ETA: Coffee Ice Cream
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/coffee-ice-cream-recipe.html

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons instant coffee granules *
6 egg yolks
Chocolate curls, for garnish

Directions
Combine the cream, milk, sugar, and coffee in a medium, heavy saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.

Remove from the refrigerator and pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. After the ice cream is made, transfer to an airtight container. Cover tightly and freeze until ready to serve. Garnish with chocolate curls.

* I actually grind beans very finely and use the equivalent amount. Straining will take out large granules. I've never used instant actually.

Note: This is a basic, custard-style ice cream with a great coffee flavor. I prefer custard-style to Philadelphia-style. Now I do have a couple of recipe books that recommend soaking anywhere from 3/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups whole beans for hours and I've never tried that as I considered it a waste of good beans. But my taste buds aren't that sensitive and to a true foodie, it may taste waaaaay better than instant coffee or a little pre-ground.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:50:01 AM by bloo »

MariaE

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:04:42 AM »
Awesome! Thanks :)

Homemade ice cream is the best!

It really is! :)

BigBadBetty

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »
Why ice cream maker do you have? Do you like it? I hate mine. I have the Kitchenaid attachment for the mixer. The problem is my mixer is so old that it doesn't fit properly. I am thinking of getting something new. Those recipes sound wonderful. I can't do a handcrank because of wrist problems. I also don't want to aggravate a previous should issue.

MariaE

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »
Why ice cream maker do you have? Do you like it? I hate mine. I have the Kitchenaid attachment for the mixer. The problem is my mixer is so old that it doesn't fit properly. I am thinking of getting something new. Those recipes sound wonderful. I can't do a handcrank because of wrist problems. I also don't want to aggravate a previous should issue.

I have Philips HR2304 and LOVE it! Granted, it's the only one I've ever tried, but it works really, really well. The best thing about it is that it has a separate element that goes in the freezer, so I don't have to make room for the entire bowl. I highly recommend it.

bloo

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:39 AM »
I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20-Automatic-2-Quart-Cream/dp/B00000JGRT

It's great. I bought in in 2001 or 2002 and it's still cranking. When I purchased it at Sam's Club it came with an extra insulated bowl. Cuisinart has come out with newer models and they may even have better features. My bowls need a minimum of 24 hours in the freezer. Maybe the newer ones don't take so long?

But, if given a choice and with appropriate counter space, I'd like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-50BC-Supreme-Cream-Maker/dp/B0007XOHN6

It's got a built-in compressor so you can make it at the touch of a button and don't have to worry about freezing your bowls for a minimum of 24 hours. DH told me he could buy me a lot of ice cream for what the makers with compressors cost.  ;D But I'd need a decent amount of counter space as I imagine it would be too heavy for me to want to lug out whenever I used it.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:48:19 PM »
I've been looking at the smaller Cuisinart. I am glad to know it works well. The Phillips sounds even more intriguing, but it doesn't look like they sell it in the U.S. I would love one the ones with a built-in freezer, but I live in small condo so even if I had the money, I would have nowhere to put it.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
Back in the day when frozen yogurt was "new" there was a recipe making the rounds that called for a carton of plain yogurt and a jar of strawberry jam.  Mix together and stick in the freezer.  But it would probably be a lot better made in an Ice Cream machine - lighter & smoother in texture.  I'll look it up and post the quantities.

pickles50

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »
Buy this book: The Perfect Scoop | David Lebovitz...It's awesome!