Author Topic: Cable TV alternatives  (Read 1083 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: Cable TV alternatives
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
I've been contemplating this for a while, so can I toss in some more questions? 

Are all the programs on-demand?
Are there commercials?

What would you recommend as an ISP internet speed?

Does anyone carry the Hallmark movies?  I might miss those.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Another good resource for DVDs/movies is your local library. I am able to go on line to my library's website to request and renew. And it's free! Or as my sister points out, not free, but already paid for so if you don't use it, you're paying for nothing.

A couple of caveats. I do have to wait in line (via the hold list) for new releases and occasionally the discs have blips on them from overuse, but in general, they are in good condition. If you're lucky enough to live close to a good library system, it's a great resource.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

Are there commercials?

"No commercials" was a HUGE plus for us.  To the point that when we visited my parents, Babybartfast got really confused by the concept of TV where you can't choose your favorite show at any time of day and you have to watch advertisements.  Once we explained about ads, she was fascinated, though :P

Unexpected side benefit of only having Netflix - those "funny" commercials everyone else has seen a million times?  Are still funny when you happen to come across them  ;D

BigBadBetty

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »

Are there commercials?

Programs are on demand. Commericals or no commercials depend on what you are using for streaming. Netflix and Amazon have no commercials. I believe Hulu does have commercials.

I would recommend at least 10 mbps. Netflix says you can get away with 5 mbps. We only have 1 mbps at my boyfriend's house. You can watch Netflix but it is painful. If you have anyone trying to do bandwidth-intensive stuff on the internet when you are watching a movie, it cuts out.

magicdomino

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

Are there commercials?

Programs are on demand. Commericals or no commercials depend on what you are using for streaming. Netflix and Amazon have no commercials. I believe Hulu does have commercials.

I would recommend at least 10 mbps. Netflix says you can get away with 5 mbps. We only have 1 mbps at my boyfriend's house. You can watch Netflix but it is painful. If you have anyone trying to do bandwidth-intensive stuff on the internet when you are watching a movie, it cuts out.

Amazon Prime pretty much shuts down on my set-up if it gets below 2.0 mbps, and gets cranky below 5.0.  I'm not sure what Netflix Instant needs, but it is probably something similar. 

Keep in mind that the wireless reception on your device is probably less that what the router is receiving, maybe much less if there are signal problems.  I pay for 75 mbps, and the first router comes pretty close to that.  But the piece of  FIOS router has a lousy wireless signal.  So, a stronger router is wired to it.  According to my laptop, the ASUS router sends out over 50 mbps.  Still very good -- if you are in the room.  Wireless signals don't travel very well from room to room in my house -- probably because of metal lath in the walls.  So, there is a signal extender carefully set up line-of-sight with the ASUS router.  The laptop says that it puts out about 30 to 40 mbps.  By the time the Blueray DVD player starts playing Amazon Prime, the signal starts in the high 20s, lowering to the high teens while loading.  Unless there is some kind of bandwidth problem, in which case, the DVD player drops to below 2.0, the extender gets a red light, and I start grumbling.  Still trying to figure that one out. 

Bottom line is the more internet speed that you can afford, the better.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
Internet speed will depend ENTIRELY on how the whole Net Neutrality thing works out.  In a nutshell: ISPs are allowed to create "fast lanes" and "slow lanes" depending on where the traffic is coming from.  Most of the major ones have throttled Netflix's speed down to less than half of what it used to be.  Comcast recently got Netflix to pay them a big chunk of cash and then whoa, look at that, Comcast customers have blazing fast videos from Netflix now!  The whole issue is going through legislation at the moment, but ultimately your actual connection speed will matter a lot less than whether your chosen content provider (Netflix or otherwise) paid off your ISP or not.

magicdomino

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 03:54:09 PM »
Internet speed will depend ENTIRELY on how the whole Net Neutrality thing works out.  In a nutshell: ISPs are allowed to create "fast lanes" and "slow lanes" depending on where the traffic is coming from.  Most of the major ones have throttled Netflix's speed down to less than half of what it used to be.  Comcast recently got Netflix to pay them a big chunk of cash and then whoa, look at that, Comcast customers have blazing fast videos from Netflix now!  The whole issue is going through legislation at the moment, but ultimately your actual connection speed will matter a lot less than whether your chosen content provider (Netflix or otherwise) paid off your ISP or not.

I suspect that this is part of my speed problem.  Amazon Prime is most likely to drop, and there seems to be more problems on Friday and Saturday nights.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »
I forgot to add to beware of data caps. My cellular service gets great speeds over 35 mbps. However, I have a limit of 4 GB/month. That is not enough to watch much video. A competing cellular service offers unlimited data. If you read the fine print, they will throttle you after 5 GB. The speed will be so slow that it is basically useless. However, if you are in area that offers cable service, you are probably able to get decent internet without data caps. I think only cellular and satellite internet have data caps.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »
Maybe this doesn't fit here, but we have satellite TV and I like it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »

Yes. Speaking from the point of view of someone who works in teh telecom industry, this could get interesting. But, its been kicked back to the FCC by the Court, and issues have been put out for comment. But, and I speak from experience, the FCC never does anything quickly, and there are avenues people can take in terms of seeking review, reconsideration etc. of anything that's decided. So its not going to happen anytime soon. and the FCC Chairman is now changing his stance so it may not even come to this. Just all up in the air still.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »
I forgot to add to beware of data caps. My cellular service gets great speeds over 35 mbps. However, I have a limit of 4 GB/month. That is not enough to watch much video. A competing cellular service offers unlimited data. If you read the fine print, they will throttle you after 5 GB. The speed will be so slow that it is basically useless. However, if you are in area that offers cable service, you are probably able to get decent internet without data caps. I think only cellular and satellite internet have data caps.
Yes Yes Yes. I'm on Comcast that has suspended its 250 cap
March 410 GB (I was sick over spring break and Using my IPad to watch in bed and the setting got messed up and played epi after epi while I slept.)

April 225 GB

May 226 GB

June so far 85 GB
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future