Author Topic: Flashlights in my eyes at the movies  (Read 5543 times)

Iris W

Re: Flashlights in my eyes at the movies
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
Yeah put that phone away! And the electronic cigarette and whatever else you have that lights up!  ::) I've even seen someone waving a mini torch around in the cinema. I have no idea why, maybe it was so he could see to text?

Equally annoying is people who scream loudly and jump around all the way through horror films!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:57:54 PM by Iris W »

Clareish

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »
Perhaps I am missing something, OP, but I do not understand what you are wishing to get from this thread. You asked in your original post about what other people do concerning phones in the theatre, and you have been give commiserations, plans of actions, and other stories.

TBH, the rest of your posts seem to be a little combative to those who do not entirely agree with your points such as phones being entirely turned off, or the theatre staff's role in what happened. Were you simply looking for agreement that the gentleman was rude, despite acquiescing to your request? That movie theatres are terrible for not strictly enforcing rules over other adults? I'm somewhat confused.   

edgypeanuts

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
I don't understand this.  Stop is an absolute as is turn off the cellphone, off is off not just silent.  Even when phones vibrate they make a noise.  My phone is at home when I am at the movies.

All the notices I have seen say silence your phone or turn off your ringer.  That is why I think it is good to mention texts and light as a distraction as well so people realize that it is an issue, and take steps to be sure they don't bother anyone.

My phone does not make any noise when it vibrates, esp not when it is on something soft like in my pocket or my hand. 

It is great for you that you can leave your phone at home, but I am unable to do that.  I have too many people who rely on me to be available, and while most of the time it can wait, sometimes it cannot.  It also is a long drive into town for me, so I would never leave my cell at home as it would not be safe.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
It sounds like you asked him to turn off the phone and he complied, but was taken aback by your tone?  If so, maybe next time try to keep your phrasing a little more friendly, especially since it was only 4 minutes in.  Phones in the movies drive me *nuts* but I find if it's not possible to get an usher, asking politely is better than asking harshly.

I don't think there was any need to write to corporate.  It's not fair to get the cinema staff in trouble or chastise their methods when you hadn't even spoken to them.  I think you're massively overreacting here to the light of a cell phone 4 minutes into a movie, when the owner complied with your request. 

Aquamarine

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
The situation has been resolved.  I have a 4th bedroom that I do not use and am turning that into a home theatre with all the bells and whistles.  I meet with the media system designers on Thursday and the interior decorator comes on Friday.  I will not be returning to the theaters again, I will wait and buy the DVD and watch it at home.

The rude and inconsiderate have won. it simply is not worth the aggravation to me any longer.  When theaters whine about profits being down I will have zero sympathy them.  If Alamo Drafthouse can be a success so could others if they adopted the same attitude.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:33:34 PM by Aquamarine »
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Texas Mom

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »
Many cinemas precede the show with trailers specifically asking people to turn their cell phones off.

I know.  People still diddle with their phones.

I've quit going to movies at the theatre because of it - I wait a couple of months & watch it in the comfort of my home.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 04:18:27 AM »
People playing with their phones in the cinema drives me nuts too. The light is distracting. It also seems so unnecessary. If there is such an urgent matter to attend to, I'd expect the person to take that business out of the cinema.

Admit that, when I used to be on call, I didn't go to the cinema at all because Murphy's law seems to kick in - that'll be the exact time when I get called in (happened a couple of times before I just gave up).

Writing to corporate asking them to take steps to improve the cinema experience, e.g. Making it clearer in their announcements that people shouldn't be using their phones at all, even to text, seems to be a reasonable next step. Or asking that they get staff to check in on theatres more regularly to ensure policy is being followed. Those aren't things local staff can address. All they can do is address a specific incident, if notified.

lowspark

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
The situation has been resolved.  I have a 4th bedroom that I do not use and am turning that into a home theatre with all the bells and whistles.  I meet with the media system designers on Thursday and the interior decorator comes on Friday.  I will not be returning to the theaters again, I will wait and buy the DVD and watch it at home.

I don't exactly have a home theatre, but I have a large flat screen and surround sound in the family room. I haven't been to the theatre in years. I just got sick of the whole experience, rude people being the least of it. Endless commercials before the feature (and I don't mean movie trailers), expensive snacks and not being able to rewind/pause/turn on subtitles are my main issues.

I use the library (free!) for most of my movies. Plus I just received a subscription to Netflix as a gift. Those two sources are enough to keep me awash in movies, new and old, plus TV shows for a very long time.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »

The rude and inconsiderate have won. it simply is not worth the aggravation to me any longer.  When theaters whine about profits being down I will have zero sympathy them.  If Alamo Drafthouse can be a success so could others if they adopted the same attitude.

Well I'm glad that's settled.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.