Author Topic: 1000 kms more- how to politely ask why  (Read 4842 times)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: 1000 kms more- how to politely ask why
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 11:27:15 PM »
Wow, that sounds like a LOT of demo drives (if what they are claiming is true, which it isn't, since you saw the odometer yourself).

Thanks for the warning, and I will be sure to check for such things next time I buy a used car.

Otterpop

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 01:09:23 AM »
I'm thinking someone at the dealersip took it on a little trip, knowing it was sold.  They counted on you not checking OD before you picked it up.  Sorry OP.  Taking a pic of the miles is an excellent idea for next time.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 02:59:05 AM »
Also, be sure to write an on-line review of your experience.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
In the USA, you have 3 days to back out of a car deal.  Does Australia have something similiar?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
If this were in the US, this wouldn't be an etiquette question, but a legal one.  There are federal laws concerning the recording of mileage.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

shortstuff

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Next time I buy a car, I'll snap a photo of the odometer during the first test drive!

Now that you mention it, many, many car "for sale" ads on the internet will post a picture of the odometer with their ad.  I always thought it was overkill, but seems that it can protect both sides in a dispute like this. 

I always do wonder how people can rack up miles so quickly on cars that are not theirs!  I've seen a few of our "loaner" cars that are loaned to someone for an extended period of time come back with thousands of miles extra!  One car that was gone for 3 weeks had 3000 miles put on it (almost 150/day!) and another out for 3 months that had 15,000 extra miles! 

gemma156

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »
There is recourse, but you have to follow it up and drive it.  You contacted them by phone now follow up with a letter they can't refute regarding your conversation held on the very next working day, after you picked up your car. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
How long was your 'new' car left with the window tinter?  Long enough for them to rack up those additions km's?

Does anybody else have this image from Ferris Bueller in their mind?

http://www.vitalstatistics.info/uploads/42337PMferris%20bueller.jpg

miranova

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
1000 km is over 600 miles.  That is not a small amount in my opinion.  I do not see how that can be explained by going to a window tinting place and back!  Someone was sloppy or lied.  One or the other.  I wouldn't be happy.  It's not the mileage really, because I personally probably would have bought it even with 600 more miles on it myself, but I don't like that discrepancy and they don't have a good explanation.  I wouldn't like it at all.

Breezygirl

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »
Something like that kind of happened a few years ago to us when we bought our Volvo XC60. When we bought it we were asked if we would wait an extra week to take possession of it. It was booked to be on stage at a "New Moon" promotional event with several of the actors in the movie (Twilight movie series, it was the same type of vehicle Edwards drives in the movie).  We agreed as long it was to be roped off and no one would be able to touch it to perhaps scratch or damage the paint......

We wait the week and the day it's booked to be on stage we get a call from the salesman who then told us that they would not be using our XC60 after all for the movie event, it would be safe at the dealers after all.  We were disappointed as we had then planned to go see it at the mall up on stage with the Twilight stars. Since we couldn't do that we decided to go see it at the dealers where we were told it was. You guessed it, it was not there.

We then went to the movie event and there it was, parked where the fans could just walk up to it....   We knew it was ours, as at the time it was the only one of its color, model... in our province, it was extremely rare. I think the salesman just did not want us to find out it was not being roped off and protected as agreed upon. We were not too happy with the dishonesty.

Sorry you experienced the same, but congrats on the new car! :)
Someday, somehow, somewhere.....

Possum

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »
Thanks, everyone. Next time I buy a car, I'll snap a photo of the odometer during the first test drive!
This is actually a stellar idea.  I will remember this.