Author Topic: Line "huggers" at a buffet . . . and other buffet questions.  (Read 7950 times)

Coley

Re: Line "huggers" at a buffet . . . and other buffet questions.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
Generally, I use the "look big" approach. I try to take up more space by widening my stance or my arms. I do this in a lot of personal space situations, like lines or crowds. For a buffet, if there's someone behind you who seems to be in a bigger rush than you are, I think it would be a kindness to let them go ahead. It also might decrease the pressure or stress of feeling as if he's pushing you along. As far as making selections on a buffet, I think it's reasonable for people to take a few seconds to scan their options as they move through the line.

I had a guy behind me once in line who actually shoved me. This was not at a buffet though. This was at a church training for deacons. We were all learning the proper way to process down the aisle. We all were assigned specific spots in line. I was standing in the proper spot for my position in line, but there was an empty spot ahead of me because the person who was supposed to be in that position wasn't there yet. The guy evidently decided I wasn't in the right place because of the empty spot ahead of me. Rather than asking me if I was in the wrong spot, he shoved me toward the empty spot in line. I turned around and gave him quite a look. He just stared at me, and then the person who was supposed to be ahead of me in line took her spot. He never said a word -- no apology, nothing. I don't know him -- had never met him or noticed him until the day of that training. I can't imagine putting my hands on another person and physically shoving them that way.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 09:17:05 AM »
Another buffet question. Is it rude to take all of an item after it is placed on the buffet?

I think that it is inconsiderate of other guests, if not rude. I have seen this happen with crab legs on a buffet several times. And really, how much crab can you crack and eat while it is still warm?

I don't think it's rude to take the last of it, if there's only a little left--they'll bring out more. But I don't think people should hover like vultures until the fresh pan of something comes out and then take the whole pan of it, no.

lowspark

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:09 AM »
I would have said something similar to Toots.
"You look like you're in a hurry. You can go ahead of me if you like."

I don't see anything rude about being picky about the food you put on your plate at a buffet as long as you are not hovering endlessly at every dish.

And no, it's not ok to just take an entire tray's worth of food before anyone else can get to it. It is ok to take the last of something if a serving's worth is all that's left.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 10:04:24 AM »

And no, it's not ok to just take an entire tray's worth of food before anyone else can get to it. It is ok to take the last of something if a serving's worth is all that's left.

I agree. If the dish has just come out, its definitely rude to take all of it. But if there's only a bit left, and you're in line, and you want some, no. Not at all. Many times, I see staff hovering around, and refilling the dishes before they get empty, either adding more veggies or potatoes to one pan, or in the case of lasagna or something like that, when its getting low, they'll replace the entire pan with a new one.

lmyrs

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »
If someone is too close behind me in a line, I won't usually step forward because it means crowding the person in front of me and 9 times out of 10 the person behind me just moves up also. So I take a teeny little step back. A step small enough that if the crowder were not in my space, they wouldn't notice. It usually works.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Another buffet question. Is it rude to take all of an item after it is placed on the buffet?

I think that it is inconsiderate of other guests, if not rude. I have seen this happen with crab legs on a buffet several times. And really, how much crab can you crack and eat while it is still warm?

What is it with crab legs? My family went to a buffet once and watched this kid "guard" the crab leg section. Every time a new batch came out, he prevented people from reaching for them so that his family can descended to take all of them. I don't remember if they got reported.

I also don't like picked over food. Whenever I go to KHC, they always ask if I want the buffet since it's less than a $1 more than a regular 2-piece meal. No thanks. On every visit, the food looks clearly picked over; the batter on the chicken is a mess after all the poking, etc.

As for people being too close, I take a step away if I'm still deciding. If I'm taking food, I hold my ground and keep doing what I'm doing until finished. I'm not bothered by closeness as long as there's no contact.

Peppergirl

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:40 AM »

What is it with crab legs? My family went to a buffet once and watched this kid "guard" the crab leg section. Every time a new batch came out, he prevented people from reaching for them so that his family can descended to take all of them. I don't remember if they got reported.

I second this.  Back in my hometown, I actually quit going to a buffet (that I otherwise really enjoyed) due to this very thing.  It seemed to attract these types of low-rent customers who would do similar to what you mentioned, and the management refused to step in.

Weird thing is, I didn't even *eat* the stupid things but it created such a disturbance and awkward atmosphere in the place that I just decided I didn't need it. 

My son still lives back home and still goes occasionally and says not a thing has changed.  ::)

Edited to fix spelling. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:31:09 AM by Peppergirl »

Runningstar

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 06:20:34 AM »
Last week we were at a party with a buffet where you were supposed to go down both sides of the table and each side had a serving utensil in the tray of each item.  A woman on the other side kept grabbing both utensils so that she and her husband could serve themselves on their side.  I thought that it was a bit strange, but just waited until they had finished and got my food.  At the end of the buffet, she asked one of the staff to put a sign on the "wrong" side of the buffet so that people would know where to go.  The worker explained that the line was to go down both sides. 

Ginger G

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 11:54:10 AM »
Speaking of crab legs and buffets, there was a story in the news a few years back about two men who got into a physical altercation over one of them taking the last crab legs from the buffet.  One of the men ended up spending some time in jail over the incident.  Don't get me wrong, I like crab legs, but nothing is so good it's worth fighting someone over.

knitwicca

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
I am 5'5" and weigh 115lbs. Not a big person.
People seem to think that my size gives them permission to treat me like an unwanted child. I get crowded at buffets, in line at the bank, have had shopping carts shoved into me while I am waiting to pay at the grocery, etc. etc.

My go-to when being crowded but not touched is to put my elbows out slightly and all my weight on my back foot. If the crowding continues, I am not afraid to look at the other person and say "I am standing here."

As for hovering like a vulture for fresh food, I try to avoid buffets. At work we have a mandatory "training session" twice a year which includes a buffet. The way some people act is embarrassingly immature. My personal method is to hang back. There is usually little on the buffet that I am willing to eat so this works well for me.

DanaJ

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »

Many years ago a little, old lady in my town created a family-run restaurant that was originally run off the front porch of their farmhouse to serve fielworkers. It was so popular that the family had to move out in order to turn the whole house into the restaurant.

We went once for the Sunday brunch and saw a woman in the buffet line serve herself the roast beef. And by that, I mean THE roast beef! She had the entire roast on her plate slathered in gravy, a cup of coffee, a cigarette, and nothing else.

All the other patrons looked on in horror as she settled in at her table and started eating. In a twisted way, I almost admire her boldness. She brought "Go big or go home!" to an all-new level.

123sandy

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »
What annoys me about buffets is seeing people pick out all the beef/chicken/prawns and leave just veg behind. Why be so greedy?

I once was at a pizza buffet at the same time as a group of teenagers and there was no point in even trying to get food while they were there. Every time more came out they would all get up and clear the trays. We had salad and wine and waited till they had their fill.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 01:07:50 PM »
If someone is too close behind me in a line, I won't usually step forward because it means crowding the person in front of me and 9 times out of 10 the person behind me just moves up also. So I take a teeny little step back. A step small enough that if the crowder were not in my space, they wouldn't notice. It usually works.

This is brilliant!

Possum

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »

It's never rude to take the *last* of something, but it's always rude to take *all* of something.  The former meaning there's only a healthy-sized spoon full of rice left, so you finish it off.  The latter meaning they just put out chicken and you get every single drumstick and thigh from the bin--or in your case, they just put out the crab legs, so you and your party clean out the entire dish, taking far more than one serving per person.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation. We no longer go to buffets on a regular basis due to DH's gluten sensitivity, but that always annoyed me.