Author Topic: Line "huggers" at a buffet . . . and other buffet questions.  (Read 7519 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Line "huggers" at a buffet . . . and other buffet questions.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »
If someone is too close behind me in a line, I won't usually step forward because it means crowding the person in front of me and 9 times out of 10 the person behind me just moves up also. So I take a teeny little step back. A step small enough that if the crowder were not in my space, they wouldn't notice. It usually works.

I do that too. Most people don't stand perfectly still while waiting in line, they fidget a little, look around, etc. If I notice someone right behind me I do that "tiny step back" thing as I'm looking around, pretend I don't even notice them. They always take a step back as well and then I step forward and we're all good.

We don't do a lot of buffets but when that's happened to me I've always said "You're welcome to go around me if you'd like". I'd rather they get the first (or even last) scoop of something than have them crowding me all the way through. 

AnnaJ

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »
Another buffet question. Is it rude to take all of an item after it is placed on the buffet?

I think that it is inconsiderate of other guests, if not rude. I have seen this happen with crab legs on a buffet several times. And really, how much crab can you crack and eat while it is still warm?
It's never rude to take the *last* of something, but it's always rude to take *all* of something.  The former meaning there's only a healthy-sized spoon full of rice left, so you finish it off.  The latter meaning they just put out chicken and you get every single drumstick and thigh from the bin--or in your case, they just put out the crab legs, so you and your party clean out the entire dish, taking far more than one serving per person.

This is really the fault of the restaurant - they should either have enough of an item prepared to be able to meet demand or they shouldn't offer it.  Unfortunately things like crab legs can be a big draw and buffets will advertise them as available without really intending to provide a sufficient amount for demand; and by demand, I mean they should be able to satisfy the desires of their customers, even the ones who want to eat several servings.

I live in Buffetland and there are dozens of buffets that offer things like crablegs and prime rib and always have them readily available, so it is absolutely possible.

alkira6

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
Another buffet question. Is it rude to take all of an item after it is placed on the buffet?

I think that it is inconsiderate of other guests, if not rude. I have seen this happen with crab legs on a buffet several times. And really, how much crab can you crack and eat while it is still warm?
It's never rude to take the *last* of something, but it's always rude to take *all* of something.  The former meaning there's only a healthy-sized spoon full of rice left, so you finish it off.  The latter meaning they just put out chicken and you get every single drumstick and thigh from the bin--or in your case, they just put out the crab legs, so you and your party clean out the entire dish, taking far more than one serving per person.

This is really the fault of the restaurant - they should either have enough of an item prepared to be able to meet demand or they shouldn't offer it.  Unfortunately things like crab legs can be a big draw and buffets will advertise them as available without really intending to provide a sufficient amount for demand; and by demand, I mean they should be able to satisfy the desires of their customers, even the ones who want to eat several servings.

I live in Buffetland and there are dozens of buffets that offer things like crablegs and prime rib and always have them readily available, so it is absolutely possible.

I have seen people stake out the buffet for crab legs, as in you have a family of 4 and one of them is always at the buffet to empty the pan as soon as it comes out.  I saw this happen over the course of 3 hours (meeting at a restaurant) - they ate literally every pan coming out of the kitchen, and they had pans coming out every few minutes! Right before we left the servers started bringing the pans out and directly serving the people on line who were waiting.  The greedy family was in the first rumblings of  a temper tantrum when we left.  Totally greedy and classless.

Possum

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 07:35:21 PM »

It's not about having enough of an item prepared to meet demand.  It's about taking more than five times of your fair share, especially of high-demand items, leaving everyone else unable to have any until the kitchen (which has a pace and rhythm to cooking things) can get caught up.  No one else gets a single crab leg while your group of four has 400 of them piled on your table.

AnnaJ

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 12:57:05 AM »

It's not about having enough of an item prepared to meet demand.  It's about taking more than five times of your fair share, especially of high-demand items, leaving everyone else unable to have any until the kitchen (which has a pace and rhythm to cooking things) can get caught up.  No one else gets a single crab leg while your group of four has 400 of them piled on your table.

Actually, it is a problem of not having enough prepared.  If people are emptying out the food item then the kitchen needs to be preparing multiple batches or have them thawed or precooked and ready to reheat; this really can't be a mystery to them if it happens as often as people here say, and it's a sign of a poorly run buffet.

There is no 'fair share' at a commercial buffet - people will take the amount they want to of certain foods.  Restaurants have choices - raise the price of buffets so they can buy enough of the popular items; penalize people for wasting food by charging them extra (I've seen signs threatening this); stop serving items that they cannot/will not keep stocked; have a staff member serve items that are popular - people can return for more servings, but only one serving at a time. 

perpetua

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 07:54:02 AM »

*When serving yourself in a buffet is it okay to look over all the pieces (say it's chicken) and pick and choose which pieces you like? I know it's rude to take all the yummy crusty cheese from the top of the mac&cheese or take all the cucumbers from the salad, but when it comes to dinner rolls and you prefer one flavor rather than the other? Is it rude to scan the tray for a moment and pick the biggest and best of the flavor you enjoy?

Depends how you're doing it, I'd say. If you're taking a moment - maybe 5-10 seconds? - to visually scan a tray of chicken and thinking "Hmm, that one looks nicest" and taking it and moving on, then that's fine. But if you're standing in front of the tray and picking up a piece with the tongs and examining it and putting it down and then picking up another piece and examining it etc etc ad nauseum before you finally pick the one you want, then yeah, rude, especially if there are people behind you. Just pick a piece already :)

Redsoil

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
I'd say something like:

"Oh, honey, the chicken looks really good!   Oh, hang on, YOU'RE not my husband!  Usually if someone stands that close, I'm married to them!"
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:31 AM »
^
 ;D

My personal favorite way of discouraging personal bubble encroachers, is to fidget, putting my weight on one foot and then on the other, twist at the waist to look at the stuff the store has hanging on pegs on either side of the check-out, etc.

DanaJ

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »

Actually, it is a problem of not having enough prepared.  If people are emptying out the food item then the kitchen needs to be preparing multiple batches or have them thawed or precooked and ready to reheat; this really can't be a mystery to them if it happens as often as people here say, and it's a sign of a poorly run buffet.

There is no 'fair share' at a commercial buffet - people will take the amount they want to of certain foods.  Restaurants have choices - raise the price of buffets so they can buy enough of the popular items; penalize people for wasting food by charging them extra (I've seen signs threatening this); stop serving items that they cannot/will not keep stocked; have a staff member serve items that are popular - people can return for more servings, but only one serving at a time.

But restaurants can only operate according who what's reasonable. In my post further up, I described a single woman who took the entire roast away on her plate in one fell swoop. She wasn't taking multiple slices of meat, she took the entire slab of meat (probably 5 or 6 pounds) away on her plate.

In some cases, as you suggest, a staff member needs to be present to serve the high-demand items that could otherwise be abused, but they will always fall prey to truly unexpected, unreasonable behavior.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »

Well, this depends. I used to know a guy who, maybe a few times a year, would decide to splurge on a Chinese buffet. He loved oysters and would hover around the buffet until they brought them out, take them all, eat them all, and go back and hover for another batch, several times in succession. His table was a sea of shells. It was crazy! But he only did this a few times a year.

So unless there's a different gimme pig staking out the oysters every night, the restaurant couldn't really cook enough for this guy every night. They'd be throwing out bushels of oysters night after night. All they could do was try to keep up on the occasions when he was actually there.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
New Buffet Question --

The buffet at work is set up as a go through the line one time only. You get a container and the container must be closed when you go to pay. (It used to be the container could be open faced and people would fill up both sides of the container.)

I have been known (and I know others do the same) to really fill up the container with much more than I could eat during lunch in order to bring leftovers for the DDs dinner. The Gyros buffet is my favorite, I get 3 pita's a whole bunch of meat with plenty of onions, tomatoes, sauce and there's still enough room in the container for the greek salad.

Today was a Sub buffet. I have enough lunchmeat and pasta salad to last me 3 days!

Am I rude for filling the container more that 1 meal's worth? . . . I do feel a bit guilty about this.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
If you are following the rules and everyone who wants to gets to go through the line, I don't think you are being rude.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
I think it depends on what you believe you are paying for.  Are you paying for a 'cram as much as you possible can in' container or a single meal?

If it's the latter then you know you are taking more than your fair share, if it's the former then no.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
Thank you to everybody who suggested ways to ward off the "hugger." I will certainly try the small step/lean back or the making myself larger routines.

I have let others go ahead of me when there's no one behind the hugger, but in this case since the line was rather long it almost felt like I would be cutting back in . . . like I stepped out of line seeming like I was done. Does that make sense?

I'm reading all of your responses with much interest. Thank you for replying! ;D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
I think it depends on what you believe you are paying for.  Are you paying for a 'cram as much as you possible can in' container or a single meal?

If it's the latter then you know you are taking more than your fair share, if it's the former then no.

The buffet is $5.13 no matter how much food you take so long as it all fits within the container.