Author Topic: The neighbor and the gardener...Do I say anything?  (Read 3506 times)

veronaz

Re: The neighbor and the gardener...Do I say anything?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
Unless the man can make flowers grow and bloom by breathing on them, I'm finding a new gardener.

;D ;D

scok~~> sputtered coffee on keyboard
(it was cold anyway...)

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »
The way I see it, is that these are two separate business arrangements.  One between you and your gardener and one between your neighbor and her gardner.  The fact that it's the same gardner is irrelevent.  If you both shop at the same store and she doesn't pay her bill, the store doesn't ask you to make up for it...and it's just as innappropriate here.

Personally, I wouldn't bother saying anything to her.  The garnder shouldn't have said anything to you and it's none of your business.
So, him asking you for an advance (which is a red flag for me), is a stand alone request.  If he wants to pass on excuses to you of why he needs them, that's fine, but you don't owe him anything.

If anything, I would talk to him.  "Gardener, this is the third(?) time you've asked me for an advance.  We agreed that I will pay you for the service you provide, after you provide the service.  Yes, I've made exceptions in the past, but this can't continue.  If you want to remain employed by me, then you cannot keep asking me to bail you out when another client doesn't pay you, or you have unexpected bills, etc.  You run a business and your clients aren't responsible for your financial shortfalls.  Please don't ask me again."

Also, I'm with you on giving people the benefit of the doubt and would likely not have a problem giving a good employee an advance the first time they ask...assuming  that it is truly an emergency situation for them.  That being said, I wouldn't continue to give someone the benefit of the doubt if they continuously turn to me to solve their financial problems.   There's the inital assumption that someone has good intentions and then there's a point where enough is enough. 

BarensMom

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
Thanks for your advice, everyone.

I think the most I will say is "Hey Norma, George asked about you Tuesday" if I see her and leave it at that.  She should know what it's about without my being in the middle.

George has been our gardener for 15 years, so he's not going to abscond.  After I wrote the check, I saw Mrs. George and gave it to her, so it has a better chance of going to rent.

--------------------------------

I'm sorry to disappoint those who misread my title, so for your brief reading pleasure, I give you this:

When DH was growing up, he lived on a short (2-block) street with several young families.  One of DH's friends had a drop-dead gorgeous mother (Mrs. Smith).  There was also a young, handsome mailman (Henry).  For years, every day, Henry would go down one side of the street around 9-10 a.m., but not come back down the other side until 5-6 p.m..  His truck would stay in one spot, so people wondered where Henry went during that time, but figured he was working the other short streets.

Until the day Mr. Smith came home from work early and found Henry with Mrs. Smith.  The whole neighborhood couldn't help but overhear the very public argument that ensued.  The next week, Henry was assigned to my parents' street (a very long main thoroughfare  with no desperate housewives) until he was busted for selling pot to the kids on the route.