Author Topic: Moving Tips  (Read 1529 times)

coolio

Moving Tips
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
It seems from reading some of the other threads that quite a few people will be moving or have moved recently so what are your best tips and strategies for moving. Your must do or have, etc.

Amara

Re: Moving Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:10:12 AM »
If you are moving locally and can move stuff into  your new place before the actual move-in date, do it. Take one carful of stuff over there after work. I did this for two weeks and got a surprising amount of things not only moved in but in their actual place so the kitchen and bathroom were all done and ready for me. The day of the official move I had relatively little to move besides furniture. It turned out to be a relatively quick and easy move.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
1) Start packing as far in advance as you can. Don't wait for the last minute, except for things you need on a daily basis.

2) Keep a list of what's in each box. I found it helpful to label each box with a number and the room it belonged in, and kept a notebook with a list of each box's number, room, and contents.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:27:57 AM »
Pack the coffee, mugs and kettle on a box on top for easy access at the other end.

Label boxes with both the "room" and contents - on the SIDE not the top so you can read them when they're all stacked against a wall.

If you are moving locally and can move stuff into  your new place before the actual move-in date, do it. Take one carful of stuff over there after work. I did this for two weeks and got a surprising amount of things not only moved in but in their actual place so the kitchen and bathroom were all done and ready for me. The day of the official move I had relatively little to move besides furniture. It turned out to be a relatively quick and easy move.

If you do this, make sure your insurance is in place early.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:39:42 AM »
If, like me, you tend to keep things invite a friend over to help you go through things. My friend did this with books. We had three piles: keep,  think about and get rid of. The get rid ofs were further divided into "toss into recycling" and resell piles. She was very ruthless with toss and think abouts which I needed.

She took the resell books to the book store and it was only fair that she keep the money from it so I told her to do.

oogyda

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
Unpack and set up the kitchen and master bedroom first. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »
www.movingscam.com

1.  Use the above site.
2.  Never fill out one of those on-line "Estimate my moving costs!" which compel you to enter your contact information.  They are brokerage services and the people that they send your information to are almost universally scammers.
"We ate the pies."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
One of my moves that I did locally ( was from one house to a house few blocks away) I moved everything myself except furniture and appliances- I didn't even pack. I took the kitchen and dresser drawers out as is, put in the car, unpacked in the new house and drive them back. Took armfuls of hanging clothing and just rehung in new place. It was work but not as bad as packing and then unpacking boxes.

For all other moves, i suggest:
1. Buying boxes of same size and shape. It makes it easier to stack and store if you need.
2. Use a master list and number all the boxes with room and contents, e.g., 5 kitchen silverware drawer.
3. Use different color markers to write in each box, e.g., red is kitchen, yellow is den.
4. One or two boxes should have your first day/s stuff: bedding, towels, medications, coffee, disposables, TP, breakfast food etc
5. If moving with kids, be sensitive and patient. Don't tell your child " oh don't be sad, you'll make new friends". Let the kid have degree if involvement. If possible get something new for their room ( curtains, rug) and if possible let them bring their old stuff with them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MindsEye

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »
Use colored stickers for rooms (yellow = kitchen, green = study, blue = master bedroom, etc) and put the stickers on each side of the boxes so you can spot them easily.  Also write what the major contents are in each box.

Unpack one room at a time (I recommend starting with the kitchen) and it will go faster then if you do a little bit in one room, and a little bit in another room.  You will also feel like you are accomplishing more.

Pro tip: packing for a move is the best time to re-evaluate your possessions and downsize!  (don't be like me and realize that you have hauled the same unopened box of random junk through three moves before you toss it in disgust at yourself)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
This is something that I didn't learn until about my 9th move, but it was a revelation!

When you move, they always put the furniture into the truck first, then the boxes. So, when they unload, the boxes come out first and the furniture last.  Therefore, the boxes always end up against the walls and the furniture in the middle of the room, so you have to move everything around AGAIN before you even start unpacking boxes.

If you have a rough idea of where everything is going to go, and there is an extra room (2nd bedroom or something), have all of the boxes put in there.  If there's no extra room, pile them up in the MIDDLE of the biggest room (in an apartment, it's usually the living room).  That way, when the furniture comes in, you can have it placed roughly where you want it to stay, around the perimeter of the rooms, and you won't have to move boxes all around just to place your furniture.
In the bedroom, determine where your bed is going to be and DO NOT put boxes there.  When the moving is over, you're usually hot, sticky, exhausted, and hungry.  Set up the bed, hang up the shower curtain, order chinese food, and get some sleep.  Tackle the rest of the problem later.

For that matter, when you're packing at the old place, make sure you have a 'First Box' - in this box you will put silverware and plates and cups for one per person (for me, it's just one), the pet dishes, the pet food for a couple of days, and anything else you think you'll need to survive those first few days.  This solves the problem of opening and searching through boxes to find a fork to eat your chinese food with. 

I hope this helps.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:15 AM »
What I learned after my last move is that I'm never moving again unless I can afford to pay them to come in, pack, move and unpack at the other end.   ;D

I'm a camper so I have a 'camping kitchen'.  It is a large wooden box with a drop down front so it looks like a cupboard.  It contains dishes, silverware, cooking pots, dish soap, hot mitts, tea pot, napkins, tea, salt and pepper.  It's fabulous because I can work with what's in there until I get my kitchen unpacked and set up.  It would be easy for anyone to do this with a rubbermaid or something.  It wouldn't be a cupboard set up but at least everything would be in one place.

I try to purge as much as I can as I pack.  Which works much better the earlier I get going on the packing.  As I get closer to the deadline, I end up just throwing everything in boxes just to get it done.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »

I did this. I did end up paying rent for both places for about 2 weeks, mainly beacuse my old landlord was a butthead and wouldn't allow me to move out mid month. But I considered it money well spent. I got the keys, moved some stuff in, the next day the movers came, and i was then able to go back the following weekend and clean. so i didn't have to do it all in a day or so.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:19:33 AM »
Lists!! The most helpful list was my "timeline". I started with "one month"- clean out items to be donated, notify utilities of shut-off or transfer dates, etc. Next came "one week"- thoroughly clean the house including appliances and carpets, set up mail transfer, service the car if needed, etc. Then I had daily lists starting at three days out through the day after. Things like notify the bank if there will be out of state charges, toss or give away perishable/opened food, refill prescriptions, set the cars up for travel (we do big moves so this involves walkie-talkies, cash for tolls, coolers, space for pets, etc.), gather paperwork we'll need ASAP (for transferring licenses and plates, setting up utilities, etc.). And of course sub-lists for what to pack in the cars, what clothing and toiletries everyone would need, a list of reservation and contact info for the hotels we'd booked, etc.

Another really handy thing is to pack a couple of clearly labeled boxes of essentials like bedding and basic dishes/cookware so you can get those set up as soon as you get to the new place.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:11:26 PM by JenJay »

lisat

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »
Being formaly military-moving was part of the game. I agree with JenJay on the steps to move. Go through everything! If you haven't used it for a year- rid of it. Things that are broken that you will "fix it" but haven't yet-get rid of it. We always had a weight allowence so it was a job getting ready to move. I agree with the first box of coffee maker,  cups,some cooking gear etc. Always unpack the bedrooms and kitchen first. One of the things not mentioned is to have a box with your tools, hangers, nails etc marked. You would not believe how easier setting up is when you have those right at your finger tips.

daen

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
For shorter moves, I have similar things to what a PP has mentioned. I've left my clothing in the dresser drawers, and pulled the drawers out of the dresser, which makes all the components easy to move. I have also left all my hanging clothing on the hangers, and used bathrobes as suit bags to protect them. (Garbage bags also work in a pinch.)