Author Topic: Moving Tips  (Read 1579 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Re: Moving Tips
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »
Having moved 6 times in the past 7 years, I'm somthing of an expert on this.

The most important thing I can tell you is declutter before you pack. Sort your stuff, what you haven't used or touched in a year is dormant, so purge it - Freecycle, yard sale, whatever you need to do.

I also liked the suggestion one of our packers had when loading the moving truck - make a wall of boxes so that you can put the furniture in the middle. Prevents scratches and dings and helps utilize the space more efficiently.

We used pods for our last move, and I also found them a rather inexpensive way to move across the country - although if you are renting a lot of places will not allow the pods to be dropped off at the complex, so check first.

"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »
I agree with the room - color tape designations.  You can determine at a glance where to stack in coming boxes without reading the writing.

Label. My sister and her family recently moved.  They are not organized.  She asked me to help unpack.  Oh dear....
                 I found the remote control to a room air conditioner (that didn't move) in her oldest son's clothing box.

Buy a couple of the custom boxes at a box store -- the hanging clothing boxes are pretty useful.  I also like the golf club box - I used one of my clubs and 1 for my vacuum and brooms.

Hire movers for the furniture if, like me, you are a single woman.  Money well spent (since I have a glass topped hutch, a marble kitchen island, and all the antiques no one in the family wanted.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

snowfire

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
Another thing it helps to have readily at hand in the new place is a few nightlights & a small lamp or two. Even a battery camping lantern can save your sanity and your shins.

The nightlights are handy when you are stumbling around in the middle of the night in a new place trying to find the bathroom.

A lamp or two can be very handy because not all rooms have a ceiling light.  The master and one guest room at my Mom's new house have switched outlets for bedside lamps & such, but no built in fixture. 

darling

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »
I'm moving at the end of next month, so I am eagerly watching this thread.

One hint I saw on a site was to wrap your dishes in your towels... All I could think of when reading that tip is that I don't want to have to unpack my dishes in order to take a shower, or wipe something off on moving day! My towels are going in my laundry baskets, with saran wrap over the top.

I have a rubbermaid tub that I intend on filling with things like toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, and cleaning supplies. That way we can set up one of the powder rooms immediately, and have the stuff needed to clean the kitchen and other bathrooms right away (I'm a renter. No one seems to actually clean like I do before moving out of a place, and I get squicked out by other people's grime. I nearly had a nervous breakdown because the people who lived in my current apartment trashed the place before leaving.)

We've already gotten rid of a bunch of books and other stuff, but we are also having a garage sale next weekend to get rid of more (and make money - I may need a root canal, and the tires on my car need to be replaced). Anything not sold will be donated, unless I can sell it on craigslist.

My goal is that if I don't want to move it, I'm not keeping it. With one exception: to be honest, my dining table is ugly. I hate it. But, I bought it from my parents, and I am worried that they will get bent out of shape if I get rid of it. Maybe I need a new thread for that discussion...

I just wish I had my definitive move-out and move-in date/time already, so I could reserve the rental truck we need...

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
If you are moving locally and can move stuff into  your new place before the actual move-in date, do it. Take one carful of stuff over there after work. I did this for two weeks and got a surprising amount of things not only moved in but in their actual place so the kitchen and bathroom were all done and ready for me. The day of the official move I had relatively little to move besides furniture. It turned out to be a relatively quick and easy move.

I actually disagree with this. I've never seen it work out. In fact, I've seen it totally derail people because it wastes so much of their time. And then when I came to help them on the last day, there was too much packing still to do.
    If they'd used the travel time (multiple trips back and forth) to pack, they'd have had *way* more boxes ready on the day of.
     The worst example was the people who unpacked so they could reuse boxes. All that unpacking time meant they didn't have things ready when their friends arrived.
     I'm a big fan of "pack, pack, pack, pack; move." It's much more time efficient than "pack, move, pack, move, pack, move, pack, move."

My DD moved from one dorm room to another (I stopped her from "pack, move..."), She should have designated one box that was "unpack this stuff first," so there was a place to put the things we came across that were necessary.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
One hint I saw on a site was to wrap your dishes in your towels... All I could think of when reading that tip is that I don't want to have to unpack my dishes in order to take a shower, or wipe something off on moving day! My towels are going in my laundry baskets, with saran wrap over the top.

I have a lot of towels so I kept out the ones I was currently using to use at the other end and used the rest of them - bath towels, hand towels, tea towels - to wrap around my dishes.  It was great and it meant I didn't have to wash the dishes at the other end, the way I would have had to had I used newspaper to wrap them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amara

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
If you are moving locally and can move stuff into  your new place before the actual move-in date, do it. Take one carful of stuff over there after work. I did this for two weeks and got a surprising amount of things not only moved in but in their actual place so the kitchen and bathroom were all done and ready for me. The day of the official move I had relatively little to move besides furniture. It turned out to be a relatively quick and easy move.

I actually disagree with this. I've never seen it work out. In fact, I've seen it totally derail people because it wastes so much of their time. And then when I came to help them on the last day, there was too much packing still to do.

That's interesting, Toots. For me, it worked perfectly. I had the bathroom set up, the kitchen, including food, all done so it made it easy to make dinner, take a shower, and so on But of course I can see where it wouldn't too.

If you don't do this, or if you are moving far away, one thing I strongly suggest for everyone is to pack one box each for the kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms (other than guest bathrooms or bedrooms) that contain essentials only. Your bathroom box should contain toilet paper, paper towels, several bath towels, soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner, etc. Your kitchen box should contain whatever number of table settings and silverware you need for a couple of days, a few basic pieces of cooking ware like a spatula and knife, a couple of pans and pots, dried pasta and sauce or whatever is quick and good, sponge, vinegar, soap (for handwashing dishes and dishwashing), etc. A bedroom box should have one set of clean sheets, pillow, pillowcase, some clean underwear, socks, a nightshirt or pajamas, a book for bedtime reading, a couple of lightbulbs, a lamp or at least a bright flashlight, etc.

In other words, these boxes will allow you to collapse after the move and still have enough essentials to get you through a day or two without frantically searching out boxes and trying to put everything away at once. 

Make these boxes a special color or mark them in a quick-to-see way. Pack them last or put them in your car so they do not get mixed up with the other boxes. Unpack them first and take the time to put the items away if you can.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:23:39 PM by Amara »

darling

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »

I have a lot of towels so I kept out the ones I was currently using to use at the other end and used the rest of them - bath towels, hand towels, tea towels - to wrap around my dishes.  It was great and it meant I didn't have to wash the dishes at the other end, the way I would have had to had I used newspaper to wrap them.

Yeah, I don't have very many towels, which is why I sort of went,  :o lol...

I bought a big pack of plain newsprint to wrap dishes and breakables in. I don't have a ton of dishes, since I have been purging possessions, but I have a sizable vintage Pyrex collection that is getting double-wrapped in bubble wrap, packing paper, and being moved in my car rather than the truck.  ;D I kind of wish I had enough old towels to use for those, but I don't.

o_gal

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

That's interesting, Toots. For me, it worked perfectly. I had the bathroom set up, the kitchen, including food, all done so it made it easy to make dinner, take a shower, and so on But of course I can see where it wouldn't too.

It's worked for me too. I've moved between apartments this way, and from the last apartment to my first house. Moving a little at a time works well if you can organize things the right way. The worst room to move for me was the kitchen, because it had so much stuff. But once that was accomplished, then the last stuff to go was always the furniture.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 12:56:10 PM »
I used to be a paid packer/mover, and the biggest thing I can suggest is, have a system!

Get a big stack of boxes, several working sharpies, more tape than you think you need, and some sort of packing material - we used blank newsprint, but bubble wrap or even plastic bags blown up and tied to make air pillows can work. If you have to move in a hurry, you aren't going to want to pause to go get seventeen more boxes or a new marker or scissors. You can definitely re-use some containers you already have, like laundry baskets for clothes, but keep in mind that you won't be able to use that container until you've unpacked it, and that's not always a fun option right after you just dragged all your stuff to a new address.

If you're boxing stuff by room, no going to another room to grab one thing to fill that box up. Stuff some packing material in the top and let that be a light box, rather than winding up having to go through seventeen boxes of silverware, stuffed animals and clothes to find a coffee mug that you used to fill in the corner of a box.

For books especially, keep it unambitious. Ten small, easy to carry boxes are better than two monstrous boxes that endanger you if you try to maneuver them down the stairs.

We also had a policy that liquids all went together in their own box with big This End Up arrows all over it. Things get tumbled, no matter what, but if you have everything that could potentially spill in one or two boxes, it's much easier to be careful.

Oh yeah, and when you pack plates, pack them so they stand on their sides with some material between each one. It prevents them from shattering like they might if they were packed flat and the box was set down too hard.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Amara

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 01:48:08 PM »
Ooh, good idea about the liquids being on one box, Seraphia. I would also go an additional step and wrap them individually in small plastic garbage bags tied with a knot at the top so if there is any spillage it is contained and can't seep out of the box.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:31 PM »

It worked for me, too, for about the same reason.  I got a lot of stuff moved before the official moving day, and most of all, I had the chance to fill the fridge with cases of soda and bottled water.  I was moving on the hottest day of the year and I was determined that nobody was going to die on my watch!  So I gave out a lot of soda and water that day, especially to the moving crew. 
And I also went to the new apartment very early in the morning, like 5am, and locked my cat in a large closet with food, water, and her litter box.  One less thing to worry about when friends and moving people showed up. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
Whenever I move OUT of a place, I always leave behind at least one roll of toilet tissue (usually two) in each bathroom.  It just seems to be one of those things you can't live without but that no one ever thinks to bring.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
Ooh, good idea about the liquids being on one box, Seraphia. I would also go an additional step and wrap them individually in small plastic garbage bags tied with a knot at the top so if there is any spillage it is contained and can't seep out of the box.

I'd just use a large plastic totes for compatible liquids - no putting bleach and ammonia in the same tote, for example.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GreenHall

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »
I have very little experience moving, but with the comments on color coded boxes by room and a designated 'Last Out, FIrst In' box, my mind flashed to the vast assortment of duct tape colors they have now.  Since I don't have a legitmate reason to get them all, that might be one way to designate rooms (by color/design) and First boxes (multiple lines of the same color?)