Author Topic: Moving Tips  (Read 1528 times)

magicdomino

Re: Moving Tips
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
May I recommend watching Freecycle and Craigslist's free section for packing supplies?  For that matter, ask friends who are on-line shoppers to save the packing materials, even if the boxes are too small.  In fact, if you are in the Northern Virginia area, I have two good-sized boxes of packing paper and a kitchen bag of air pillows looking for a home.  No nibbles from Freecycle, yet.   ???

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
I have very little experience moving, but with the comments on color coded boxes by room and a designated 'Last Out, FIrst In' box, my mind flashed to the vast assortment of duct tape colors they have now.  Since I don't have a legitmate reason to get them all, that might be one way to designate rooms (by color/design) and First boxes (multiple lines of the same color?)

Also, packing tape that comes in varying colors with room labels is also available - this is really great if you're moving a whole family, rather than just a 1-bedroom apartment. But the different duct tapes is also a good idea - if you've got kids, each kid could pick out a tape design for their boxes, which could be kinda fun.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Margo

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
When you pack, as well as having a 'first night' box / boxes with essentials such as bedding, loo-roll etc, have a 'last day' box of the stuff you need as you go round the old house before you leave. (tea/coffee/water/soda / chocolate biscuits for yourself and the movers, cleaning stuff, vacuum cleaner etc.) a lot of this will overlap with the first things you want in the new place.

Put that box somewhere it *can't* be packed - for instance, when i  moved, before the movers arrived I put my vacuum cleaner, the suitcase with my night clothes, wash bag and changes of clothes, and a box with cleaning stiff and a set of tableware into my car, and locked it, so those things wouldn't be packed by mistake. The kettle, some mugs, and tea and coffee were in the kitchen on a tray marked 'DO NOT PACK' on a giant bright red post it note.

I don't know whether it is the same in the US, but here, if you use a removal company, they will supply boxes and packing material. You pay for the boxes but the cost is refunded if you return the boxes after you have unpacked. The company I used allows up to 12 months following the move for the boxes to be returned, so there is plenty of time to unpack. (in fact, as I have plateaued with the unpacking, I need to call them to come and collect the empties I have, as the rest won't be unpacked for some considerable time. In my case, I decided to pay to have them do the packing, and they didn't charge separately for the packing paper and tape etc. I'm not sure whether they charge if they are not packing, just moving.

If any of the rooms, or any of your stuff, is unusually sized or shaped then measure in advance to check it will fit where you want to put it.

If it is practical, get any works or decorating done before you move in - so much easier in an empty house. When i bought my last house, I was staying with my parents, which was fantastic, as it meant I could continue to stay with them for about 3 weeks after I bought the house, while I had the re-wiring done, and while we redecorated, without having to worry about moving furniture around to access anything. This time, unfortunately, that wasn't an option.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
I've done something similar to the slow move the PP mentioned.  Although, mine was even slower and I thought it worked well.  A couple of months before the move I rented a storage unit very near my work.  My goal was to take a car-load to the storage unit every day after work.  First stuff moved was the stuff already stored, like Christmas decorations.  Then as I packed stuff, I put it in the car.  I didn't end up doing a car load a day, but usually about 3 days a week.  I think that works for me because I get overwhelmed by all_the_boxes_stacked_up_everywhere.  This way the space gets cleared and decluttered as you go, rather than less walking room and more cluttered as you go.  Being less cluttered the process was encouraging. 

MrTango

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 05:26:44 PM »
The first box that comes out of any vehicle should contain something approximating this:

1) Toilet Paper
2) Paper Towels
3) Hand soap
4) plastic cups
5) A notepad & a couple pens/pencils
6) Your cell phone charger

That way, before any heavy moving into or out of your house begins, you're already prepared for people to use the bathroom, get a drink of water, and to quickly write an idea down before you forget it.

pharmagal

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »
If you are moving locally and can move stuff into  your new place before the actual move-in date, do it. Take one carful of stuff over there after work. I did this for two weeks and got a surprising amount of things not only moved in but in their actual place so the kitchen and bathroom were all done and ready for me. The day of the official move I had relatively little to move besides furniture. It turned out to be a relatively quick and easy move.

I actually disagree with this. I've never seen it work out. In fact, I've seen it totally derail people because it wastes so much of their time. And then when I came to help them on the last day, there was too much packing still to do.
    If they'd used the travel time (multiple trips back and forth) to pack, they'd have had *way* more boxes ready on the day of.
     The worst example was the people who unpacked so they could reuse boxes. All that unpacking time meant they didn't have things ready when their friends arrived.
     I'm a big fan of "pack, pack, pack, pack; move." It's much more time efficient than "pack, move, pack, move, pack, move, pack, move."

My DD moved from one dorm room to another (I stopped her from "pack, move..."), She should have designated one box that was "unpack this stuff first," so there was a place to put the things we came across that were necessary.

I agree with the first suggestion - if you have a chance to get smaller things in first, by all means do it.

Over a period of 12 years before relocating to a new country, we moved house/town 9 times, for all the moves we made that were local, we made a point of moving as many little things as possible over a few days, so on the actual day it was a relatively simple process of last of the smaller items and the furniture. 

It also meant it was much, much easier to get the final clean done before we handed the keys over.

We always found it best to pack up whatever extras we wouldn't need first, (you'd think that would be obvious, but nope)  using spare towels and linen to wrap anything that needed a bit of extra protection.  And tried to have one room virtually emptied so as each box was packed, we could stack everything in there.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
1. Start packing as early as possible. Packing a box or two at a time is so much more manageable than trying to pack your entire life in a compressed period! Start with out of season clothes, fancy items that you don't use often, and holiday items so you don't worry about packing something you don't need.

2. As you pack, declutter! Have a box at all times labeled "Goodwill" (or "give away", whatever makes sense for you), and as soon as you think "I don't need this," toss it in! Trying to remember to do that later means you won't. Starting early really helps with this step, because if you're on a time crunch you're just throwing things in boxes as fast as you can.

3. Color coding is wonderful. I agree with the earlier suggestion to use different colors of packing tape or duct tape. If you use it to seal your boxes, you'll have color-coding on the top and all the sides. :) You can also use colored Sharpies to label the boxes. I recommend having a sign on the doors or doorway to each room at the new place ("Master BR" in red, "Study" in blue, whatever) to make it easy for the movers to find and others to direct them to if someone's helping. Be sure to actually write the room name on the box too instead of just using a color.

4. Pick a spot where your furniture won't be to stack boxes. I had all my living room & kitchen boxes stacked in front of the fireplace. Nothing else went there, so I could set all my furniture out as it came in, and I could find everything easily. In a closet is also a good spot, or in front of a window. Let the movers know where to put boxes, and consider a "boxes here" sign in each room if there are a lot of rooms.

5. Have an "open first" box with the essentials for the first night and morning. Toilet paper, towels, some basic kitchen goods, etc. Some spare lightbulbs and a small first aid kit are also a nice thing to have in here. Make sure it's the last thing on the truck so it's the first unloaded. Have it put somewhere central, like the kitchen, so it's easy to find.

6. I think someone else mentioned, but make sure you have a box or something for "oops, forgot to pack that!" Don't close it until everything is OUT of the house and you've done a last walk-through. I always find random stuff in a closet or in the kitchen that I didn't notice until everything else is out.

7. I unpacked the master bathroom completely first. It was a room I obviously had to use a lot, and going into a finished room gave me a nice little boost of serenity whenever the rest of the house was driving me crazy. Then I tackled the kitchen, the room I used the next most often.

daen

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »
I've found that duct tape doesn't stick to a cardboard surface as well as packing tape does, so I would probably just colour-code with duct tape, and use packing tape for closing boxes (especially the bottom).

Books hurt you when the duct tape gives way and they fall through the bottom of your box, landing on your foot.

MrTango

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 11:29:07 AM »
I've found that duct tape doesn't stick to a cardboard surface as well as packing tape does, so I would probably just colour-code with duct tape, and use packing tape for closing boxes (especially the bottom).

Books hurt you when the duct tape gives way and they fall through the bottom of your box, landing on your foot.

Duct tape sticks better to itself rather than to anything else.  I've always felt that if someone is going to use duct tape, they should wrap the tape all the way around whatever container they're using.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »
Here ya go! Colored carton tape.

http://www.tapesolutionsinc.com/opp2.html

GreenHall

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »

Based on that link, let me make another suggestion, without having actually done a full move (I spent months getting stuff from my mom's to my house when I bought it.  I think she has finally given up on anything still left...)  Get a tapegun.  A nice one.  Finding the edge of the tape, and the scissors, and holding the box in shape, all at once - get a tapegun. (Will not really solve one person trying to hold all the flaps of a box in place, but will help with the others.)   

darling

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 02:46:43 PM »

Based on that link, let me make another suggestion, without having actually done a full move (I spent months getting stuff from my mom's to my house when I bought it.  I think she has finally given up on anything still left...)  Get a tapegun.  A nice one.  Finding the edge of the tape, and the scissors, and holding the box in shape, all at once - get a tapegun. (Will not really solve one person trying to hold all the flaps of a box in place, but will help with the others.)

Tape guns... everyone in our office swears AT them, and I think I'm the only one who can actually use it effectively. I still hate them. Scotch makes these dispensers with a cutting edge that are much easier to use.

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-Shipping-Packaging-Tape-Dispenser-Clear-2-inch-x-22/product_824219?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:824219&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=824219&KPID=824219

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
I think every home should have a tape gun. Or a tape dispenser like the one darling linked to.

And I went to Staples today at lunch, just to mooch around and look at stuff on the shelves. And I saw this!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/989953/Scotch-Printed-Moving-and-Storage-Tape/

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

Tape guns... everyone in our office swears AT them, and I think I'm the only one who can actually use it effectively. I still hate them. Scotch makes these dispensers with a cutting edge that are much easier to use.

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-Shipping-Packaging-Tape-Dispenser-Clear-2-inch-x-22/product_824219?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:824219&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=824219&KPID=824219

See, I hate these. 

I can wield a tape gun like no ones business. 

I've always hired movers when I've moved.

My system is to pack up each room and color code it.  I used to use colored electrical tape, but my last move I used duct tape. 

All of my valuable items go in my car/trunk
Cats get locked in the bathroom with food and water
I hire the movers for the minimum amount of time.  Here in the DC area it seems that 4 hours is the minimum.  On my second move, I learned the boxes in first, furniture last method. 
I meet them at the new place and do my best air traffic controller impersonation. 
Kick them out and go back to the old place to pick up the cats. 
I clean as much as possible, but I also have a local maid service come in to do the heavy lifting after I'm gone. 

Set up the bed, bathroom and cats, then go to sleep

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 04:59:01 PM »
I think every home should have a tape gun. Or a tape dispenser like the one darling linked to.

And I went to Staples today at lunch, just to mooch around and look at stuff on the shelves. And I saw this!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/989953/Scotch-Printed-Moving-and-Storage-Tape/

I've bought that at UHaul!  It worked ok - you always need more Kitchen Tape (or maybe I should stop buying teapots....)
Formerly Mrs.Bart