Author Topic: Moving Tips  (Read 1669 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Moving Tips
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »
I've actually seen either stickers or TAPE (I forget which & where) that some brilliant person set up to use on your moving boxes.  The tape went around the sides and across the top with "kitchen kitchen kitchen" (or whatever room you might have - office, garage, master bath, girl bedroom, boy bedroom, etc.) printed on it at intervals.

Much like the "construction zone - caution" or "crime scene - do not cross" tape that you might see in use (at least in the movies or TV, if you've never been at a crime scene).  But it would stick to the boxes....

I've also seen people just writing a contraction (offc, kit, linen, gar, mbr, girls', etc.) in various colors on the top & four sides of the boxes.  The bottom was sealed with plain, cheap shipping tape...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mikayla

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
My biggest tip is use an overnight bag or tote that never leaves your side.  Keep essentials in there and the biggest is scissors or box cutters.  It took me 2 moves before I realized you can't do a thing if you can't open the boxes.

I also put remotes in there.  Nothing is worse than the remotes not being in that box you just know you put them in.  Also put some cash in this if you're the type who doesn't carry much.  Also, phone chargers if you don't use a vehicle charger.   It's amazing how easy these can get lost. 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
The one move I particularly remember is the one where my military father called my mother on Monday and told her we had to be ready to move from Georgia to Kansas on Thursday.  In the same week.  We were ready.  My mother had always been a force to be reckoned with, and now she had three older children and an infant.  I remember she hung up the phone, said, "Oh (unladylike word)," then got to work.  Since we lived in our own mobile home that was going to be moved we didn't have to pack a lot of things, but this involved sealing closets and drawers, bolting down appliances and beds, etc.  One thing Mom did was pack a box full of baby items and put it in the car so that it wouldn't be accidentally packed in the trailer.  The Air Force sent people to brace the appliances and seal the closet doors, etc. and once they were sealed we couldn't unseal them.  I don't remember a lot of that move (I was 8) but one thing I do remember is that I lost one of my shoes in Mississippi, and the driver of the truck pulling our trailer found it and gave it back to me in Kansas.  Meanwhile I'd spent the whole trip wearing my sister's slippers.