Author Topic: Everything I learned about life ... I learned from E-Hell  (Read 2034 times)

MissRose

Re: Everything I learned about life ... I learned from E-Hell
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »
So many of the terms used here, I use in real life.  I also am developing a spine for certain situations I've not had before in past.

Octavia

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
The "ask" vs. "guess" approaches to making requests was hugely helpful to me in understanding my family of origin and why many of my family members rub me the wrong way.

I also appreciated the sharing of stories and the reassurance that it is OK to cut toxic people, including family members, out of my life. This has changed my life for the better in many ways.

Finally, E-Hell has taught me how to choose my words more carefully when I assert myself. Because of E-Hell I know how to stand up for myself without being abrasive or aggressive. Because I did not get these lessons from my family of origin (see above), E-Hell has been a wonderful resource to guide me into behaving better than the way I was brought up. For that I'm very grateful!
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Carotte

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »
That being polite does not mean letting people walk all over you:

If I don't want to talk to the creepy guy on the train station platform, I can actually tell him that I do not want to talk, I don't have to akwardly make up lies hopping he'll go away.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »
I have learned that I am not so weird. Other people don't like to talk on the phone is the most important. There is a very large group that are driven nuts and cling to the proper use of American English! It is comforting.

I have always been politely stubborn, but in the long run, it really means I have shiny spine. Yes, I am always polite but firm. I feel empowered. Gently.

I really appreciate what I took for granted: we aren't rich, but we seem to have always had enough cash to live modestly - like we had $3.37 in the bank in the early 70s, but it was OK. We came out fine. Beats the heck of some stories I've heard - $50,000 in debt as that point in life!

I appreciate my family. I don't know what to say except that I am baffled about the rudeness and grabbiness and entitlements of other's siblings and even parents.  Especially parents. Our job in raising the kids is done. We gave them the tools to live, which they appreciate!, and they are doing a darn fine job of it, and raising our grandchildren. The finer points don't matter, and the big ones are wonderful! People yell and scream at each other? Really?

I don't know how to say this. Well, morals are changing and my grandchildren are part of it, so I jolly well better learn to adjust. I will be the one to suffer if I don't. ('Jolly well' was my mom's term  :)

You have given me an insight on my world and given me encouragement that the future of the world is in good hands of people like you: hard-working, caring, graciously trying to smooth out the rough spots of human interaction.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 11:09:18 PM by Luci45 »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
I can't even begin to explain how much E-Hell helped me IRL. Because of the help I received in this forum, I have a shiny spine and I'm not afraid to use it! :)

I now know that "no is a complete sentence" and I no longer JADE. I even had an aquaintance remark "you are no pushover" when my response to a pushy colleague was a simple, strong "no."

I can also spot users a mile away and that's an important life skill.

I will never be able to thank E-Hell enough for the help I was given.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 11:18:04 PM »
I can't even begin to explain how much E-Hell helped me IRL. Because of the help I received in this forum, I have a shiny spine and I'm not afraid to use it! :)

I now know that "no is a complete sentence" and I no longer JADE. I even had an aquaintance remark "you are no pushover" when my response to a pushy colleague was a simple, strong "no."

I can also spot users a mile away and that's an important life skill.

I will never be able to thank E-Hell enough for the help I was given.

I would like to remind you that your strength and your reports during "The Year of NO" have helped innumerable people! The forum has become so aware of K'nI have?  (Sorry, spelling lost in my brain) that you have become a legend with us old timers. Nice to see you report back!

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2014, 10:56:31 AM »
On a silly note, I have fallen in love with the smiley  :o and have often wanted to use it on Facebook and other places, and I have regretted not having it available!  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
It's silly, but my absolute FAVORITE EHell tip is for folding fitted sheets!

Fold in half to tuck the fitted corners into each other, then in thirds.  Store with flat sheet IN the pillowcase.  I think it may have changed my life for the better.

I've also walked away from some friendships.  It's ok to do so and it's far less drama.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

GratefulMaria

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
"They'll either get over it or die mad."  The most liberating things I've learned are that (1) it's all right if someone's upset about a decision it's my right to make, and (2) they have a right to be hurt or disappointed about it, and (mainly) that I can move on from either situation.  Ironically, this attitude feels a lot kinder to both myself and others than the "you have to do this or so-and-so will be hurt" imperative used to raise me.  I feel so much lighter -- thanks, everyone!