Author Topic: Noisy Neighbors  (Read 4466 times)

miranova

Re: Noisy Neighbors
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
There are no magic words.  You just have to talk to them.  Keep it friendly, and make sure you communicate that you are not asking them not to have gatherings at all, just to maybe keep it quieter after a certain time of night.

Personally I think the game, the woo hoos and the thumping are normal backyard noises and should be expected in houses that close together.  I really think the only issue is that they don't quiet down when it gets late and their neighbors need to sleep.  I have a pool and lots of kids. Kids+pool=LOUD.  I think my kids should be allowed to play in the pool in their own yard and even shout somewhat....during the day.  That's just part of living near other people.  At night, we would never allow this.  The time makes a difference.

Coley

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
OP, I feel your pain. We live your neighborly nightmare every single day. Unfortunately, we are at war with our neighbors. This started one afternoon not long after we'd moved in when someone -- I have no idea who it was -- called the police because Neighbor Guy was blasting his music incredibly loudly. I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and Neighbor Guy assumed it was me who called the police. I promise -- it wasn't me. In fact, I'd planned to go over and talk to him about the loud music, but I had to pick DS up from school first. Because they assumed erroneously that I called the police, they became obnoxious and unreasonable about their noise. In essence, I never had a chance to talk to them first. Instead, they made a huge, "interesting assumption" about me. Now we have to call the police. And we do.

My advice to you is to go over there and talk to the neighbors about the noise before someone calls the police. This is probably the best first step you could take if you want to avoid a war. If they refuse to keep it down, investigate the noise ordinance in your city. If they appear to be violating the noise ordinance, then call the police and let them deal with it. In some cities, violators may be cited and fined in court. In our city, it is difficult to get the police to issue a citation; however, we have been encouraged by the police to call every single time we suspect a violation. So we are -- in the hope that they'll eventually be cited. In the meantime, we are documenting by recording their noise in case we want to take them to court for interfering with our fair enjoyment of our own property.

Please do talk with your neighbors before taking any other action. "Hi, I know you probably don't realize it, but the noise from your parties is pretty loud. It's disturbing us. Would it be possible to keep the noise down after X time?" See how they respond. If they're obnoxious or unreasonable, you can escalate as needed from there.

Kaymar

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »
OP, with all due respect, you lost me with 'we kind of hoped that they would default on the home' over some minor noise that you haven't even attempted to address with them.  What is the etiquette approved solution?  Speak to them calmly and clearly, outlining the problem and attempt to reach a compromise.

You are right that it comes off as a little crazy.  We live in a state where marijuana use has been legalized, and if an individual has a medical marijuana license, they can also grow some for "personal consumption." Their house has been broken into before, and they're selling to the neighbors across the street. While it is not a likely threat, I am somewhat concerned that at some point, another burglary may take place, and perhaps the wrong house will be targeted.  Due to the kind of traffic they have in and out of the house, people certainly know about it, plus they smoke a lot of pot pretty publicly.

Wait, so are they selling/moving?  I'm confused.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »
OP, with all due respect, you lost me with 'we kind of hoped that they would default on the home' over some minor noise that you haven't even attempted to address with them.  What is the etiquette approved solution?  Speak to them calmly and clearly, outlining the problem and attempt to reach a compromise.

You are right that it comes off as a little crazy.  We live in a state where marijuana use has been legalized, and if an individual has a medical marijuana license, they can also grow some for "personal consumption." Their house has been broken into before, and they're selling to the neighbors across the street. While it is not a likely threat, I am somewhat concerned that at some point, another burglary may take place, and perhaps the wrong house will be targeted.  Due to the kind of traffic they have in and out of the house, people certainly know about it, plus they smoke a lot of pot pretty publicly.

Selling pot, i think.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 04:01:04 PM »

Selling pot, i think.

Just as a side note if OP lives where I live.  You can become a caregiver grower for someone else with a medical marijuana permit (several someones) as well.

OP I would just talk to them.  I know that game its an annoying sound but I also think its below the call the police threshold.  ( its quieter then basketball dribbling and a lot quieter then a basketball hitting a backboard, would you agree?)

For the dogs I'd suggestion supervised doggy play time so they are less likely to bark at each other.

Kaymar

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »

Selling pot, i think.

Ah, I get it now!  Thank you.  I thought they were selling the house to the neighbors.  Comprehension fail.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
I agree with all who say that the best approach is to nicely talk to them about it . . . maybe break into the topic the next time you give them a batch of fresh veggies or flowers.

"Hey, neighbor! How's it going? Here's a batch of fresh veggies I thought you might enjoy." Engage them in friendly banter, then pull a "Columbo" on them ;).

"Oh, by the way, your parties seem to be getting louder lately" or "your party last night was especially noisy." You can say something like "Maybe, since it's warmer and we're keeping our windows open we're noticing the noise more."

Follow up with something like "Any chance you could please keep the noise down after 9:00 p.m.?" Smile sweetly 8) "I would really appreciate it."

I'm actually surprised that this has been going on for three years and none of the neighbors (you included) haven't said anything to them yet. Since the parties have been going on for so long I'm betting that they don't have a clue that their behavior is bothersome to the neighborhood.

You can either keep hiding and cringing at the situation or you can speak up and try to resolve the situation.

The choice is yours.

Peppergirl

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 05:46:24 AM »
Just a side note:  I'd hardly call someone who sells and/or otherwise distributes the pot they grow (purportedly for medicinal purposes) a 'good neighbor'. 

And this is from someone with a fairly lax attitude and viewpoint with regard to marijuana.  ;)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 06:15:31 AM »
Just a side note:  I'd hardly call someone who sells and/or otherwise distributes the pot they grow (purportedly for medicinal purposes) a 'good neighbor'. 

And this is from someone with a fairly lax attitude and viewpoint with regard to marijuana.  ;)

If it's legal to do so where they live, they aren't doing anything wrong. 

Peppergirl

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:03 AM »
Interesting!  I had no idea that was possible.  Thanks for the info.

I'll shut up now so as not to derail further or veer into legal territory.  ;D

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
I live in one of the two states  where this situation might happen and I have availed myself of many of the legal things in my state from time to time.

If my neighbor came over and mentioned that I was being a bit noisy some nights and could I maybe dial back the noise after 10 pm on a workday I would feel apologetic that I had ever kept them up at all.  Even if I was in the middle of availing.

Most people are reasonable and I am betting your neighbors are too.

Just go over and nicely talk to them.

Possum

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
Just tell them you always like to see them having a good time, but it's disrupting your sleep, and the other dogs' barking is upsetting yours.  "I want you guys to have a good time and enjoy yourself, but the barking upsets my dogs, and the noise is making it hard for us to relax, let alone get some sleep.  One in a while is fine, but having it happen so often is starting to wear on us.  Think we could work something out for you guys to start earlier in the day, so the outside festivities don't go past 10 pm?"

Make the whole conversation about cooperation, working things out in a way that suits you both, and in staying good neighbors.  It sounds like they're good people, just a bit noisy--so if you can stay friendly, excellent!

(Side note: I'm pretty sure that if they have a spacious enough basement, or even living room, they could play corn hole in there.  They could probably also get a pavilion at a local park, though they'd be booted out at 9 or 10 pm, and might have alcohol restrictions.)