Author Topic: Tipping in the UK with a gift certificate? RIDICULOUS UPDATE #6  (Read 1699 times)

Cali.in.UK

Hi everyone. I'm an American living in the UK and I had a question about a service I'm going to get on Thursday. My friend bought a discount certificate for a hair and skin care salon but she wasn't able to use it so she just gave it to me (which was very nice). I made an appointment for thursday to get two of the discount card options. (There is a list of options you can get done so I picked two) So according to the discount card, the service is free.
I am curious if it is customary to pay a tip in this situation, and if so how much? Should I look up the price on their website and pay 15% of that? or 10%, or more because the service is free? I've not been to a salon here yet so I don't know what to expect.
Thank you for the information
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:28:46 AM by Cali.in.UK »

nayberry

the only time i tipped a hairdresser was when she came and did my wedding hair, and she was paid cash for that anyway so i think she made a little extra.

even when my mum has a regular hairdresser she doesn't tip, mainly tho as its a work from home thing and she too gets paid cash

katycoo

I don't think the UK has a default tipping culture, so I would only tip if I was very pleased with the service (as in, they exceeded expectations)

Another Sarah

I always tip my hairdresser, but wouldn't tip over 10% and probably wouldn't exceed a fiver. But I don't think tipping is all that commonplace.
For me it's more that I have wavy-curly hair (notoriously difficult to cut) and after a quarter century of dreading the hairdresser more than the dentist, I want to marry the lady who makes me look like a human being rather than a dandelion clock.

perpetua

Yes, it's not necessary. I tip if they do a really nice job and/or squeeze me in at short notice but usually not more than 10% or rounding up, so, if it costs 28 I'd give them 30.

Cali.in.UK

Ok thanks everyone. Since I'm always expected to tip back home I was unsure. I think without the gift certificate, the services would be quite pricey so I wasn't sure and the establishment might be a very nice salon.

Cali.in.UK

Re: Tipping in the UK with a gift certificate? RIDICULOUS UPDATE #6
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:35:32 AM »
So this was quite annoying:
The salon asked to change the appointment to an hour earlier for today and I said fine, they even sent me a confirmation yesterday with a nice "We look forward to seeing you at 10am June 19th" message yesterday.
I got up and made my way to the appointment, I even arrived 10 minutes early, but the metal gate had not been lifted yet, which seemed odd. Usually places don't make appointments for the second they open? So I waited, it was hot and I just sat on a bench outside of the place.
At 10am no one had unlocked and raised the metal, hmm. I called the number three times over the next ten minutes and then called the number on the gift certificate. (There is a Salon network that I guess makes these certificates with agreements to various salons in the country?) The man said he would check and call me back. He called me back at 10:20 to say that the salon had closed indefinitely the night before... wait, what?
I told him that they had scheduled and confirmed my appointment the day before and he said, hmmm how strange. But no apology or offer to provide a different service. It was going to be my first spa day so it was so disappointing!

Margo

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »
What a shame!
As it was so sudden, I wonder whether they were shut down rather than choosing to shut?

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
They must have been, but it seems unlikely that they would not have been notified at least yesterday (their last day) so it seems so strange that they would a) not notify people of the situation  b) send out texts to remind people of their appointments

Carotte

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
They must have been, but it seems unlikely that they would not have been notified at least yesterday (their last day) so it seems so strange that they would a) not notify people of the situation  b) send out texts to remind people of their appointments

The text was probably automated,
your friend should see if she has any recourse to get her money back or have it transfered to another salon - from the salon network who issued the certificate to the salon itself they should have insurance that covers this kind of thing to reimburse the customers.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Oh! That's just so unfair! I hope you are able to get another fun/spa day

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Margo

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »

It might depend why they were shut down. There was a local news story I'd read just before posting about several businesses near here being raided by police and immigration offices for employing illegal immigrants, so I had that in mind, and that with something like that, they might have no notice, and bigger worries than notifying clients ;)

I hope that you/your friend are able to exchange the gift card to use at a different branch.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »
Yea, it could be that local authorities shut them down for some particularly egregious offense, or perhaps the owners decided to close without telling any of the employees until after close the day before, or before open that day. Who knows?

I too hope the OP &/or friend are able to exchange the GC for one from a spa that's very nice, and staying open for a while.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture