Author Topic: Craving foods that you usually donít like  (Read 1525 times)

Nuala

Re: Craving foods that you usually donít like
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
When I was still eating meat, every year or so I would get a craving for deviled ham. I would make one sandwich, then leave the tin in the fridge until DH could no longer stand the smell and would toss it out.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »
  I don't hate or even mildly dislike many things I get on kicks like corn checks is currently the only cereal I'll eat.  A few weeks ago I craved a beer, I hate beer (I think its the hops there is a flavor that any beer I tasted has is that hops?) I enjoyed about 1/2 of it and drank about 3/4 and that was it done craving over.

poundcake

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 09:29:38 AM »
This happens to me all the time, and is usually PMS related. Things I've had in the last two years that I dislike, all due to a weird PMS craving, include: Fritos, a Big Mac, cookie Pop Tarts, frosted animal cookies, salt-and-vinegar rice cakes, cola, a beer, Corn Pops, and the worst, a fish-and-chicken dinner from Long John Silver's. I can still taste that thing, years later.  :-X

z_squared82

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 09:41:46 AM »
A couple of years ago, I desperately wanted a Bloody Mary. I have no idea why. I donít like tomato juice. I thought I was going insane.

Fast forward to now. I still donít like tomato juice, but I do enjoy a good Bloody Mary. (I blame my strong desire for salty/savory things.)

Same with sushi. I really donít like sushi. Except maybe every third month when I think it sounds like a great idea. And then I remember, oh wait, it tastes like fish and I don't like fish.

bonyk

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
Thinking about seafood, in any form, makes me want to vomit.

But every once in a blue moon, fish sticks sound like a really good idea.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
Thanks so much, people.  Now you've given me cravings for things I've never considered craving. 

Hillia

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »
I've heard that sometimes cravings are a result of a dietary insufficiency (like my cottage cheese craving in the face of a very low protein, high carb diet).  I don't know if that's an urban legend or if there's something to it, but it's an interesting theory.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jmarvellous

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
I've heard that sometimes cravings are a result of a dietary insufficiency (like my cottage cheese craving in the face of a very low protein, high carb diet).  I don't know if that's an urban legend or if there's something to it, but it's an interesting theory.

There's definitely something to it, but I don't think all cravings can be explained logically.

Like: I crave salty things when my blood pressure is low, but I crave things like a specific kind of noodle essentially randomly.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:38 AM »
I once had an irresistible compulsion to chew ice. I knew it annoyed people, I knew it was bad for my teeth, but I could not stop.

Turned out I was anemic.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Hillia

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
I once had an irresistible compulsion to chew ice. I knew it annoyed people, I knew it was bad for my teeth, but I could not stop.

Turned out I was anemic.

I've heard this one, and also that ice-chewing is a sign of B12 deficiency.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

KimberlyM

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »

Turned out I was anemic.

I've heard this one, and also that ice-chewing is a sign of B12 deficiency.

I spent my entire 2nd pregnancy chewing ice....by the truckload.  My husband was bringing home bags of ice because we couldn't keep the ice trays filled.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 11:46:23 AM »

There's definitely something to it, but I don't think all cravings can be explained logically.

Like: I crave salty things when my blood pressure is low, but I crave things like a specific kind of noodle essentially randomly.

Cracked actually just ran an article where they talked with a man who had been stranded at sea for more than a month. One of the things he mentions is how he began to crave the eyes and livers of the fish he ate, almost as delicacies, specifically because that was one of the only sources he had for vitamins.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
I do think there's something to the idea that people crave things because of a dietary deficiency.  According to this view, pregnant women in the west frequently have cravings for dairy because of the calcium.  In China, where dairy isn't usually consumed by adults, pregnant women get cravings for spareribs because the marinade leaches calcium from the bones.  This may be an urban legend but it makes a certain amount of sense. 

123sandy

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
I've been craving fish lately, which is odd because I'm not a big fan. I can eat haddock and salmon but that's about as adventurous as I usually get.

mime

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
During pregnancy, I think I subconsciously "steal" other people's cravings.

My grandmother told me that she was craving mashed potatoes and root beer. Not two things I normally eat, but for the next week it was all I wanted.

A coworker had a craving for radishes. Normally I didn't really like or dislike them, but she started me on a 3-week radish binge.

Same thing with tacos, pineapple, and V8.